Customer Discussions > Speakers forum

Yamaha SW-P130 SubWoofer just stopped working.!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 29, 2012 4:49:15 PM PDT
Gravefiller says:
hi everyone,
My subwoofer yamaha (SW-P130 SubWoofer), just stopped working yesterday for some reason.
It's attatched to my Yamah htr 5630 av receiver (350) watts 70 per channel....and all my other speakers are working fine.
They are all yamaha as well...
The fronts are NS-555-3-Way-Reflex-Speakers, and all hooked up in 5.1 surround sound
I heard someone say the fuse on the subwoofer my be blown, but i don't see any fuse housing anywhere....

Help...! what is anybody's prognosis here?

When i run a speaker test they all work except my subwoofer.
Any help would be appreciated...

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 5:03:41 PM PDT
when you plug-up the sub does it make a sound? A thump, hiss, anything?
Does it have a "power" LED? If so, what color is it?
Hook it up to a regular speaker out at low volume. If it plays, the sub is OK,
if not, either a fuse is blown or the amp is OR a wire is loose inside. That would be your "luckiest"
problem, short of a bad cord. Remember to switch cords when testing the sub.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:58:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 1, 2012 4:01:26 PM PDT
Gravefiller says:
No sound when i plug it in at all nothing.
Yes "power led" is on - and it's GREEN !
Thanks so much for your recommendation Jeff the Lizard!! (Awesome name by the way) heheh.
I will try that recommendation!
p.s
How do i hook up a regular speaker to it? My yamaha receiver has a small rca plug for the subwoofer, i can't hook up traditional speaker thru that connection.
Hmmm....see my dillema? I'm between a rock and a hardplace with this thing..

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 5:37:21 PM PDT
actually you probably can. Usually the sub-out is just a mono signal, anyway. It may not sound good but if it sounds you know signal is passing thru. Hook the sub to another OUT on the amp to test it. It may be just one channel but you'll know if the sub-out signal is going to the sub. If when the sub is turned up fully you hear no hiss or noise whatsoever I'd suspect wiring inside the sub. Be sure to check cables first.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 5:41:10 PM PDT
OK, I see, now. You want to test the sub-out signal. OK, you can use a meter or hook, say, an old cassette deck up to that output, set it to record and watch the meters. If one moves when the receiver is playing, then signal is "flowing". The only other way is to borrow a sub. BUT a simple meter set to below 1 amp DC should do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 6:50:42 PM PDT
Gravefiller says:
thanks alot for your help lizard...will try your suggestion!
thanks!

Posted on Jul 4, 2012 6:50:46 PM PDT
Gravefiller says:
thanks alot for your help lizard...will try your suggestion!
thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2012 10:21:05 AM PDT
S. Noble says:
Hi gravefiller, I have a similar yahama subwoofer system and cant see where on the main speaker to connect the smaller speaker..how do i do it?

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:02:14 AM PST
Make sure all of the switches are set properly, it's too easy to accidently change settings when moving components around. Here is a link to the manual for your components.....
http://dl.owneriq.net/2/2d06cc05-b956-43d0-888b-c168c75f6724.pdf

Good Luck

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 3:29:16 PM PST
Wolfgang says:
Double check your crossover settings. Your sub may have a crossover in it, or your receiver might, or both. If your main speakers are capable of handling a lot of lows, and your crossover is adjusted to suit them, your sub might not go a lot lower than your mains, and the lows from your sub might not seem as pronounced. Some subs adjust themselves in this regard, and if yours did that, it might seem that it just stopped working. It sounds too easy to work, but I'd spend some quality time with your manuals before tearing into your sub. If nothing else, the manual will tell you if your sub has a fuse, and if so, where to locate it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Speakers forum (421 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Speakers forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Apr 29, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions