Customer Discussions > Speakers forum

Need help with a whole house set-up

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 21, 2012 12:50:29 PM PDT
MED says:
Ok here it goes, I just recently purchased a house that is ˝ done (in my opinion) on what could be a great audio set-up and need some advice. First I will start with what the house has and then a wish list of what I would like to do and will be as specific as possible.
- It has a home theater area in the basement with the current equipment: Energy Speakers and BIC F12 subwoofer for the 5.1 surround sound
- This is powered by a Sony STR-GX900ES (to be replaced shortly with the Sony STRDH830 although there is a drawback - see below))
- There are two speakers out on the deck connected to channel B of the current Sony unit
- The rest of the house is wired for ceiling speakers but no speakers; NOTE each speaker has its own separate wire which goes to a den on the second floor (nothing attached)
- There are no volume controls in any of the rooms and not wired for one that I can see
- There are 2 speaker wires in each of these rooms; dining, living, family, den, 3 bedrooms for a total possible of 14 ceiling speakers (7 zones)

Here is what I want to do:
- I have 2 mini-omni directional speakers (TIC GS5) a 4 outdoor speakers (TIC - ASP120W) and would like to have these split into 3 zones. I can run speaker wire from the outside to the basement along the same pull as the current outdoor speakers have (FYI, I am getting rid of the two current speakers from the previous home owner)
o What do I need to power these and control volume by zone?
o These will all be one source at a time playing the same music
o Would like to be able to hook up to an ipod or iphone device
o Hook up to a cable box (since the Sony 830 does not have a second channel?) to stream music from a cable channel
o Is there a way to control this system from the outside (RF??); don't want to run to the basement every time if it can be avoided
- I want to make sure that I can run the Home Theater and outside speakers separately so the kids can watch a movie while the adults are outside listening to music
- Next - what do I do with all the speakers for the rest of the house that run to the den???
o What type of speakers would you recommend?
o Can I somehow connect the speakers in the house to the system in the basement to reduce the hardware costs? No sense in having two systems if it can be avoided
o Volume control for the house speaker zones independently??
Any help would be appreciated

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 5:46:40 PM PDT
hipslap says:
This would be a complex system to build. I would look into 70 volt options for amplification with attenuators in each room you want to have independent volume control.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Speakers forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jun 21, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions