Customer Discussions > Sports forum

Manning and the Broncos..............How many Rings?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 28, 2012 7:13:59 PM PDT
G. Garner says:
I vote ZERO.

He had an entire franchise built to his specifications in Indianapolis, and he was in his physical prime. He had lots of Pro Bowl talent around him, especially on offense. He got to play half of his games inside, where he didn't have to worry about the elements or get his jersey dirty.

All those advantages yielded ONE ring.

Now, he's old,coming off an injury, and going to a team with minimal talent. Sure, Denver plays in a weak division, so I'm aware he'll probably make the postseason.

But I can't see Manning winning any rings in Denver. Yeah, he'll pad his stats for a couple of years-that was always his primary talent, anyway. But there won't be any rings.

If anybody can tell me why I'm wrong-or right-I'm listening.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 7:59:51 AM PDT
Yes G, I agree. First off, I hope Peyton makes it through the season without a serious injury. Then, even without an injury, he's got mileage so the clock is ticking. Adding in the extra motivation of little brother having 2 rings and Elway wanting a ring as an executive, the need to win now is acute. Yet, the AFC West has such parity, the Broncos may not even win the division. That said, if they win the West and have a couple home playoff games, it's not inconceivable they make it to the Super Bowl...and even if everything goes right, they won't be facing an NFC team with Rex Grossman as QB. I'm seeing this like Favre in Minnesota: close, perhaps, but no cigar.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 6:24:03 PM PDT
G. Garner says:
That scenario would not surprise me. If he is 100%, yeah, I'd expect a moderate degree of success. He'll move the ball, get his routine 4000 yards per season, win 9-11 games. (I really don't have much respect for that division, so I assume he'll make the postseason for that reason alone).

But I was a Colt fan, and followed him throughout his career. I liked him, and admired his talent and work ethic. But I cannot shake the memories of certain select games against teams like San Diego, Pittsburgh, New England, etc. Often, 3-4 defenses seemed to throw him off his rhythm. To be fair, I've seen Brady have similar problems.

In fact, if I had my way, quarterbacks who played after the year 2000 ought to be placed in a separate Hall of Fame. You just can't compare what Brady and Manning do to what the guys did in the old days, when the defense could hit them all day long, and mug their receivers all the way up and down their routes. Probably for 2/3 of Manning's career, he could have used the same jersey without ever needing to wash it, 'cause he just never hit the ground. And, to me, that's not football.

Posted on Aug 4, 2012 8:09:29 AM PDT
B. Bergquist says:
Personally, I'd love to see Manning return to form and he's definitely a solid reason to wait on drafting a quarterback this year. I also hope to scoop up Decker later as well.

For any other fantasy football players out there, I just wrote and published a short story that is part fantasy football, part crime fiction. It's on KDP so you can borrow it for free and I'll
have some free promo days coming up soon as the fantasy football season heats up. I love this time of year!

Brian Bergquist
On the Clock in Vegas

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 6:24:31 AM PDT
J. Brandt says:
Manning is one big hit away from being on the injured reserve list. If he stays healthy the Broncos will go far, but he won't get another Super Bowl Ring. Too many good teams ahead of the Broncos (Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Bengals......). Still, he will give the Broncos fans something to cheer about this year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 6:09:28 PM PST
G. Garner says:
Business as usual.

Another year of pretty statistics. Another year of having the guys at ESPN gush over him like he's the Second Coming.(how ya feelin',Tom Jackson? You loving this?)

But, when the weather gets cold and the big men come out to play..........Manning folds. In a tough game, in a difficult game, in a game with brutal hitting-or ANY hitting.........he is average, at best.

All the sportscasters spent the past year mocking the guy he replaced, Tim Tebow. Tebow has his limitations, no doubt.

But he's not the only one.

Maybe they'll get back next year. But, for now, all I can say is that nothing I saw tonight surprised me. At all.

Posted on Sep 7, 2013 3:28:44 PM PDT
G. Garner says:
More of the same.

Manning opens the season by running up phenomenal stats against a weak and sorry opponent. The guys at ESPN drool over him some more, kiss up to him some more, make him out to be the Second Coming some more.......

But I would be very shocked if we see anything any different in January than we usually do out of Peyton. Even in this wussified day and age, the guys in the playoffs DO still hit.

Hit him, and he's just average. Hit his RECEIVERS, and he is well below average.

But I will say this.......if he's ever gonna get another ring, this should be the year. 'Cause they've virtually outlawed hitting altogether,now.

Who knows? If Peyton hangs around another couple of years, they might eventually make the game soft enough for him.

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 7:50:20 AM PDT
G. Garner says:
ESPN is the most dishonest network on tv. You may as well call them 'Manning Incorporated' as much as they kiss up to him.

Yet again, he folds against a tough defense. Yet again, they start making excuses for him. No matter what, it can never be his fault.

Recall last year's playoff loss? ESPN tried to pin the blame, every chance they got, on the guy who blew the coverage at the end. But they already had gotten 2 TDs off of kick returns. The game should never have been that close to begin with.

Last night, Manning only started moving the ball after half the Colts defenders got carted off with injuries.

ESPN are filthy liars. They are like a high school, where they grovel to the kids they like. They will always find an excuse for Manning.

Posted on Feb 2, 2014 6:48:06 PM PST
G. Garner says:
Another year of prissy stats, meaningless awards, and nonstop gushing from ESPN........

But Manning is Manning is Manning is Manning.

He is the most overrated player in NFL history. THAT is his legacy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Sports forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 28, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions