Customer Discussions > Sports forum

NFL:RIP

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 3, 2013 7:27:29 PM PST
G. Garner says:
I just heard that the rules committee is considering WIDENING the field. This will be the final nail in the coffin of the NFL. For years, they have gone out of their way to alienate the true fans of the game. They seek to water it down, to soften it, in order to draw in more of the casual fans. Can't hit the quarterbacks, can't even TOUCH the receivers.

They have already virtually outlawed defense. Make the field wider, and defense just gets that much harder to execute.

Just look at this years' Super Bowl. Two of the league's best defenses, and you get a game where both teams easily score over 30 points. Points and yards have never been cheaper than they are now. It's like the arena league, now.

In other words, it's a joke.

If you prefer offense, consider this: you can't really tell who the great offensive players even ARE without good defense. All the greatest offensive players I've seen-John Elway, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Montana, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Randy Moss-were great precisely BECAUSE they could find ways to go over, around, or THROUGH their opponents. They had raw talent that was unsurpassed, and unique instincts for the game.

That's lost now. The game is soft, and the 'stars' are soft. Brady and Manning? They're talented, but look like they want to cry the second you rough them or their receivers up.

Like I said, they've ruined it. And whatever hope might remain, Goodell will find some way to undermine. He's the NFL version of the Anti-Christ.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 5:56:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 6:02:31 PM PDT
K.A.Goldberg says:
Sadly, if they can't make football safer, either by rule changes, equipment changes, or other means, the game may suffer from a plethora of lawsuits from injured ex-players. Those ex-players may come from both the ranks of former NFL players plus ex-college and high school athletes suffering from dementia, arthritis, debilitating leg and back injuries, etc. Perhaps the NFL sees this coming and feels it has no choice but to make some changes so that we may continue to enjoy football and the game doesn't get bogged down in lawsuits.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 7:30:10 AM PDT
G. Garner says:
You can't run a business based upon what you are NOT. If the NFL cannot thrive as intended, they should simply fade into oblivion with a bit of dignity.

But I don't believe for one minute that the NFL could not withstand the lawsuits, even at their worst or most numerous.

No, the biggest single problem is that we now have a prissy weakling as commissioner. He doesn't like to hit........but loves delightful outings to London(during the regular season, no less). Nobody who really cares about the game would insist upon two poor teams having to be bothered with going overseas for a game, particularly during the regular season.

He's not a football guy. Soft, prissy,media consumed......the kind of guy who thinks that if it doesn't happen on camera, it doesn't exist.

Now, if Lombardi, or Shula, or even Bellichick, was commissioner, well, it'd be a different matter altogether.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 6:06:23 PM PDT
G. Garner says:
Anybody see today's news? Seems that running backs will now be required to LIFT THEIR HEADS when receiving a hit. Now, it would appear to me that if you have to lift your head, human anatomy would dictate that your shoulders would will be further up, as well.

So.........now physical running between the tackles-the absolute core of traditional football-will be diminished. And it's all but gone, as is.

This would be a joke, by itself. But taken in concert with all that's preceded it, it's just verification of all that I've said here.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Sports forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Mar 3, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions