Customer Discussions > Star Wars forum

why do people hate episode one so much?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 233 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 17, 2008 9:35:53 PM PST
time and time again i read forums with posts that say episode one sucks and jar jar binks is the absolute worst character ever. i have never understood this, i for one love episodes 1-3 just as much as 4-6. i think the CG and the action enhance the movie alot, i can watch ROtJ and see where they use the same footage of an x-wing or tie fighter fly across the same landscape and it brings me out of the movie. as far as jar jar goes, he is comic relief. lucas put comic relief into all the other movies as well, the droids and the jawas in 4, the ewoks in 6, chewie in 4-6. i actually liked jar jar and cant really see a problem with him.
what i want to know is why do people hate the second trilogy (episodes 1-3) so much?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 10:03:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2008 10:04:45 AM PST
I Hunter says:
Comic relief is one thing, but Jar Jar was waaay too over the top. He did have occassional funny lines, but so many scenes with him were just ridiculous.. like the battle scene where he's 'accidently' shooting the droids by getting the gun caught on his foot. If you're going to put comic relief in, make it believible at least. I did like some of the storyline; the rise of the Sith, and Qui Gon was one of the best characters in the saga. However, most of Episode 1 was too childish. It is possible to make a movie about a child character, and give it a slightly more mature plot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 10:59:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2008 11:05:57 PM PST
I thought 'Episode I' was good - just a bit too long. They seemed to have taken too long on Tatooine. + Lucas kind of killed it with whole 'Mediclorian' thing.
I didn't like 'Episode II'- I felt I was watching a Star Wars video game
I also would have had Anakin leaning towards the 'Dark Side' a lot more by the end of 'Episode II'- which leads me to ---------->
Episode III- I wanted to see Anakin turn into 'Vader' some where in the middle of the movie, that way we might be able to see 'Vader' fight someone. Maybe Ben or someone else, but I definitely wanted to see him fight again. And then have a scene somewhere towards the end maybe where Ben sees Darth Vader and gets a sense from the force that it's Anakin in the suit. A scene that would be simuliar to that in "Star Wars" when Luke sees Vader and Ben at the end of their duel. A scene where Ben sees Vader from a distance and just gets that sick feeling of seeing what has become of his friend
Oh well!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2008 11:09:09 PM PST
sammie i see your point on episode 3, but it took Vader a while before he could effectively fight in that suit, he had to first build a new light saber (and it takes a few days for a sith to force the crystals to align right) and he had to change his technique. anakin used a 2 handed grip when he fought but vader was too big and couldnt get his hands on the grip right so he had to use just the one hand. i really liked how episode 3 went but it should have ended with vader rising out of the med chair and trashing the room. thats my only semi-complaint.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 8:45:02 AM PST
There's multiple reasons why Episodes I-III were/are hated so much.
Possibly . . .
1.) Kind of knew how it was going to end?
2.) 14 years wait between Jedi and the Phantom Menace and the payoff was not worth it for some?
3.) Perhaps started with Anakin too young?
4.) Age differences between Amidala, Anakin and Obi-Wan too great?
5.) Contradicted a lot of the pipeline laid in the first trilogy (I wonder if Lucas is going to do a Special Edition where Boba Fett ends up being Anakin's dad. Way to milk a character, George!)?
6.) The special effects, while quite impressive, looked too futuristic in comparison with the dirtier, nuts and bolts, been around the block crafts of the first trilogy?
7.) Casting all wrong to some people?
8.) The Force goes from being a pantheistic outlook to something you can catch off a public toilet?
9.) Lack of recognizable characters we loved (i.e. Han, Luke, Leia)?
10.) Still reeling from the Ewoks?
And I'm taking the mickey on this one . . .
NO HARVEY KORMAN AS THE MULTI-ARM JULIA CHILD COOKING BANTHA SURPRISE!
I don't know. Just thoughts.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 3:04:30 PM PST
Noba Dee says:
George Lucas turned the Epic Trilogy he created with the first 3 movies into a children's cartoon. That is why people hate episode 1-3. Too much comic relief. Another mistake with episode 1 among the thousands of mistakes. Anakin as a child. What was the point of seeing Anakin as a little kid? He acts more like a child as he grows older in the 3 movies. It's very disturbing for someone who originally viewed Darth Vader as this sadistic madman, no we see him as just some teenager who's rebelling on mom and dad. All George did with these prequels was ruin the franchise for the fans. It created a bitter taste in the hardcore fans mouths. When I saw Episode III, I realized Star Wars was dead to me and I completely lost my interest in Star Wars. Star Trek has taken many hits in the past, but nothing as bad as what George Lucas did to Star Wars.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 11:08:27 AM PST
epsteinsmutha, while i can see most of your point i really dont agree.
1. the end isnt as important as the journey and you get to see how anakin can go from that little kid to the dark lord of the sith.
2. GL wanted to do somthing different visually with the next movies and he had to wait for the technology to catch up. it would have been pretty hard to show any of the clone wars clips with 1980s movie tech.
3. nothing to say here
4. are you talking about the ages of the characters or the actors here? the difference in the characters isnt that much at all.
5. i saw some contradictions but not as much as you suggest.
6. the crafts were brand new in ep 1-3. in 4-6 they have been around for quite a while and had seen battles quick repairs by rebels with little funding.
7. concede this point
8. all tho i can see what you are saying here the midiclorians do explain a bit more about the force
9. concede
10. i had no problems with the ewoks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 2:23:21 PM PST
M. White says:
i agree with kayce on that jar jar is cool. episode one is awesome. i admit i like the original trilogy better but its a close call

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 6:00:17 PM PST
Jar Jar may have "accidentally" shot one of the droids, but several were done on purpose. I noticed this on one of the many viewings of the movie (easy to miss).
*Gen C.S. Light*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 6:08:27 PM PST
My opinion:
1) Who cares? I wanted to see how Anakin became Vader.
2) Again, who cares? George had to wait that long for the technology. If people didn't like how the prequels turned out, that's because they spent 14 years deciding on how it was going to be and didn't like it when it didn't turn out that way.
3) Agreed. I see no point in making Anakin 9. 19 but not 9.
4) Obi-Wan was Anakin's master (as revealed in Original trilogy). It makes sense he would be older than him. I was actually surprised Obi-Wan was so young.
5) The only major thing that George contradicted was the mother plot (in RotJ, Leia recalls her mother. After RotS, how would a baby remember this?). The Boba Fett thing was not canon, but only semi-canon.
6) I will agree to some of this. It would have been nice to see a little more dirt.
7) Which specific people? I liked Liam, Natalie, Ewan, and Christopher Lee.
8) Midichlorians do take a little out of the Force, but I think it was probably necessary.
9) This was about Anakin's period. Why would Han, Luke, and Leia need to be here? They would be too young, not Harrison, Mark, and Carrie, and everyone would complain that the younger actors for them were wrong. Plus, what the heck would the prequels be about? Bail Organa changing Leia's diapers? Leia rebelling against her daddy as a teen? Talk about a kiddie movie!
10) What's wrong with the Ewoks?
That's not to say that the prequels are perfect. Episode I has a completely different feel from the rest of the movies. Episode II had a terrible love story. Only Episode III came anywhere close to the original trilogy (and I still don't like how Padme died so quickly after the twins were born and completely nullified the RotJ scene between Luke and Leia).
My 2 cents.
*Gen C.S. Light*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2008 4:36:45 PM PST
Star Wars must be one of the most highly controversial film franchises in the world. It is almost mindboggling how passionate people get about these movies (and about their creator)... myself included. And it is understandable because a lot of people grew up with these tales and are protective of them. Nothing else in pop culture comes very close to Star Wars. Speaking as someone who was fairly young (11) when the films debuted in 1977, I found this stuff fantastic. (I could go on at extreme length about why I fell in love with Star Wars, but that's another discussion topic altogether.)

Episodes 1-3 had huge shoes to fill and the absolute greatest of expectations hinging on them. It was a formula for disaster in some ways.
I liked some things about Episodes 1-3. The pod race in 'Menace' was great (like Ben Hur), and Darth Maul was wonderfully fierce looking and fighting. But I disliked a bunch of things as well. Speeches and politics are dull and really slow things down. There was none of that in Episodes 4-6.

There was almost no way that the second batch of films (prequels) could live up to Episodes 4-6 in entertainment. And the storyline in 4-6 is very good stuff.

One reason why people may hate Episodes 1-3 is that these movies may represent a threat to diehard fans of Episodes 4-6 because they are so very, very CGI heavy, which 4-6 were not originally. 1-3 are 'technology' films in many ways. It seemed like Lucas discovered advances in special effects and became a kid in a candy shop. And he revamped Episodes 4-6 several times, even recently, using digital magic.

(Sidebar: I am one of these people who cherish the very first theatrical versions of Episodes 4-6, without any CGI bells and whistles, because I grew up with those old-school versions; I went to the theater many times with friends, memorizing the dialogue and music. It's a special memory and an important part of my youth. Seeing Lucas alter what I loved was like tampering with something precious. He possibly should have considered fans like myself before he went nuts in the candy shop, but it's no big deal in the scheme of things. I do respect and appreciate those fans who like the versions that have CGI changes.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 1:08:58 PM PST
L. Martin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 1:10:18 PM PST
L. Martin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 1:12:25 PM PST
L. Martin says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 2:22:48 PM PST
'It's a kids movie! IT'S A KIDS MOVIE!!!'

Okay, fine, I hear you guys. In fact you jumped down my throat so hard, I got stretch marks.
So, adults shouldn't watch the Star Wars films. Whatever you think is right.
I am leaving this discussion so as not to antagonize anyone further.
You folks might want to know that using all caps is essentially yelling, and I just want to discuss things, not scream.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 2:48:59 PM PST
L. Martin says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2008 8:02:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2008 8:04:25 PM PST
I think the original three movies (episodes 4-6) were much more geared toward a broader audience. Episode I was an excellently crafted children's movie. I was a kid for the original movies, yes, but I went with my parents and grandparents to see them; however, they had every bit as much fun as I did. Fantasy does not have to be solely a children's fare (as Henson's "The Dark Crystal" proved splendidly). I was sincerely disappointed in Episode I until I went back to the theater alone and saw it witout any expectation from the original three, and loved it as a children's Star Wars movie. The only 'new' Star Wars movie that reached to level of the originals was Episode 3, which did not try to make 8 year olds giggle at the cute things. My main complaint with Episodes 1-3 were in the scripting... The writing for Anakin and Amedala made Natalie Portman come across as wooden and Hayden Christiansen come over like his character was in a box. Lucas should have had co-writers because he has never written dialogue well. The Children's focus of the Episode I would have played better with more developed dialogue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 10:23:46 AM PST
V. Tomich says:
I have a hard time with the second trilogy because personally, I think the first episode was a waste, and did very little for me with the story line. It was nice to see how it began, but I think they could've done the same in 20 minutes, rather than stretching it out (ok, maybe 30 min).

It also really bothered me that everything was so clean and modern. Of course it's obvious that you can do more today with technology to creating a world like Star Wars, but just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should. I would've tried to use the technology towards the advantage of the story line, but at least create it in a way that makes you feel like you're in the same Star Wars world. Otherwise, it feels like 2 different story lines. I did rather enjoy the 3rd Episode. I'll give credit there.

Another thing that bothers me about the second trilogy is to see how big a spoiled brat Anakin is. Totally changed my perception of the character. Darth Vader is supposed to be a dark and ruthless super villain, and turns out he was a whiney spoiled brat who didn't have a clue.. And I wish he would've been less whiney and bratty, and maybe an ounce darker and more self-assured.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2008 12:05:34 PM PST
now i can understand better why "some" people dislike the second trilogy. i never really thought about how people saw the first when they were kids and went to the next as adults with thier own expectations. i am a bit younger and only remember watching the first star wars movies on like TBS or other cable stations.

i would still like to point out something tho, a couple of people have said that they didn't like how the CGI made all the crafts and other stuff look too "new". but if you think about it in the story line.. in episodes 1-3 the people and owners have money and access to proper repairs in order to maintain their vehicles properly. in ep.1 Anakin is a slave and has hardly any money. he scavenges parts to make that pod racer and it does look "dirty". then in the first movies you are seeing craft flown by a group of rebels still trying to gain support so they dont have unlimited funds to repair all of the craft to 100% at all times so they look like they should, dirty and half ready for battle....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 12:01:37 AM PST
he was Vader when he submitted to Sidious after the death of Mace Windu. The suit is just life support. Vader is Anakin as a Sith not Anakin as a cyborg.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2008 7:41:00 AM PST
Responding to Crystal and Kayce's posts.

First my original posting . . .
There's multiple reasons why Episodes I-III were/are hated so much.
Possibly . . .

*** Please note I said "Possibly" here, not that I agreed or disagreed, I just threw them out there as far as complaints I'd heard, but I understand why people react so intensely as I used to feel like this about Star Wars.

1.) Kind of knew how it was going to end?
2.) 14 years wait between Jedi and the Phantom Menace and the payoff was not worth it for some?
3.) Perhaps started with Anakin too young?
4.) Age differences between Amidala, Anakin and Obi-Wan too great?
5.) Contradicted a lot of the pipeline laid in the first trilogy (I wonder if Lucas is going to do a Special Edition where Boba Fett ends up being Anakin's dad. Way to milk a character, George!)?
6.) The special effects, while quite impressive, looked too futuristic in comparison with the dirtier, nuts and bolts, been around the block crafts of the first trilogy?
7.) Casting all wrong to some people?
8.) The Force goes from being a pantheistic outlook to something you can catch off a public toilet?
9.) Lack of recognizable characters we loved (i.e. Han, Luke, Leia)?
10.) Still reeling from the Ewoks?
And I'm taking the mickey on this one . . .
NO HARVEY KORMAN AS THE MULTI-ARM JULIA CHILD COOKING BANTHA SURPRISE!
I don't know. Just thoughts.

My opinion:
1) Who cares? I wanted to see how Anakin became Vader.
(But you knew it was going to happen, right?)
2) Again, who cares? George had to wait that long for the technology. If people didn't like how the prequels turned out, that's because they spent 14 years deciding on how it was going to be and didn't like it when it didn't turn out that way.
(Fair enough, but the amount of CGI and how busy it was made it seem like technology got worse in the decades it took Luke and Leia to come of age)
3) Agreed. I see no point in making Anakin 9. 19 but not 9.
4) Obi-Wan was Anakin's master (as revealed in Original trilogy). It makes sense he would be older than him. I was actually surprised Obi-Wan was so young.
(Thinking I misspoke there, considering how old Alec Guinness was, Obi-Wan should have been in his 40s, not late 20s/early 30s, but Anakin and Padme were borderline Mary Kay LeTourneau territory. Maybe they should have been older or not as big of a gap, it was like Anakin had a crush on his babysitter).
5) The only major thing that George contradicted was the mother plot (in RotJ, Leia recalls her mother. After RotS, how would a baby remember this?). The Boba Fett thing was not canon, but only semi-canon.
(He kept getting put in earlier and earlier. I saw the Nelvana cartoon, sent in for the figure, let's not mess with continuity, George. Also, according to the Essential Guide to Characters, Owen and Obi-Wan were brothers, which namewise, makes sense).
6) I will agree to some of this. It would have been nice to see a little more dirt.
7) Which specific people? I liked Liam, Natalie, Ewan, and Christopher Lee.
(Hayden and Natalie, too young. Christopher Lee and Brian Blessed did give it some class, though).
8) Midichlorians do take a little out of the Force, but I think it was probably necessary.
(Okay, read Obi-Wan's explanation this way: "Herpes is an energy field in all living things, it surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together.")
9) This was about Anakin's period. Why would Han, Luke, and Leia need to be here? They would be too young, not Harrison, Mark, and Carrie, and everyone would complain that the younger actors for them were wrong. Plus, what the heck would the prequels be about? Bail Organa changing Leia's diapers? Leia rebelling against her daddy as a teen? Talk about a kiddie movie!
(Okay, too much emotion on this one, dial down the sarcasm. A lot of people were hoping either Mark Hamill would play Anakin or his son Nathan, which would have some tie to the earlier films. At the time, the Special Editions were still fresh in people's minds, the fans had more invested in those characters and to introduce a Darth who isn't Darth yet, a 3P0 that isn't golden and an R2 that's not onscreen that much along with a Yoda that didn't look healthy enough, it would and did throw fans for a loop).
10) What's wrong with the Ewoks?
(The cartoon and two TV movies and the comedown it seemed after Empire for some?)
That's not to say that the prequels are perfect. Episode I has a completely different feel from the rest of the movies. Episode II had a terrible love story. Only Episode III came anywhere close to the original trilogy (and I still don't like how Padme died so quickly after the twins were born and completely nullified the RotJ scene between Luke and Leia).
My 2 cents.
*Gen C.S. Light*

epsteinsmutha, while i can see most of your point i really dont agree.
1. the end isnt as important as the journey and you get to see how anakin can go from that little kid to the dark lord of the sith.
(Again, anti-climactic though, don't you think?)
2. GL wanted to do somthing different visually with the next movies and he had to wait for the technology to catch up. it would have been pretty hard to show any of the clone wars clips with 1980s movie tech.
(BUT ISN'T IT A DROP OFF?)
3. nothing to say here
4. are you talking about the ages of the characters or the actors here? the difference in the characters isnt that much at all.
(Actors)
5. i saw some contradictions but not as much as you suggest.
(Luke remembers Dagobah in Empire, Owen and Obi-Wan not related as the Essential Guide states, continued attempts to wipe out the Nelvana cartoon from continuity with Boba Fett, Leia remembering her mother, this is some key stuff Lucas is toying with, the same as the "Who fired first?" question in Episode IV (it was Han, he was readying his Blastech, end of discussion)
6. the crafts were brand new in ep 1-3. in 4-6 they have been around for quite a while and had seen battles quick repairs by rebels with little funding.
(That quick of a dropoff though?)
7. concede this point
8. all tho i can see what you are saying here the midiclorians do explain a bit more about the force
(The Force is strong with this one, you can see the sore on his lip!)
9. concede
10. i had no problems with the ewoks.
(Place it in context though, two TV movies, the cartoon, the comic, the dayglo figures, and its coinciding with the Care Bears' popularity, sing it with me everybody "Celebrate the love, yub-yub, celebrate the love!" Is it becoming a problem yet?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 7:09:33 AM PST
LOL on number 10 there, i guess im just not old enough (no offense) to remember any of that. i do remember having an ewok action figure as a kid but that was the only thing. mabey if i had seen all that i would feel the same way but i still like the ewoks.... sorry =)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 7:19:19 AM PST
None taken on the age thing, Kayce. Considering I just got carded in the copy center here at work by a woman thinking I was a student working on an Associates degree, I'm a happy boy, albeit a 33 year old version.

I was five or six when Empire came out, it was a dark film, C3P0 is in pieces, Han's frozen, the rebels are on the run, Luke's daddy is a baddie and his hand fell off from thinking about Leia while playing with his lightsaber (paging Dr. Freud!), and what do we get after three years' wait? TEDDY BEARS WITH SPEARS??!!!? And I still get the theme to the Ewoks cartoon stuck in my head "E-E-E-E-E-Ewoks one big happy happy fam-i-ly . . . "

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 2:34:06 PM PST
I guess Ewoks back in the 80's are like Barbies, Bratz dolls, Tickle-Me Elmo, and the like now. (I don't remember; I was too young).
I agree about Anakin/Padme age difference. While it's not bad for a younger man to be interested in an older woman, it's kinda weird for them to meet when he is 9, she 14 and to remeet and fall in love when 20/25 respectively.
Personally, while I like Episode I (Qui-Gon mostly), I think that the time was wrong, wrong, wrong. Either no Anakin or Anakin should be older. Period. Episode II needed to shaped up that terrible love scene (ugh!). Episode III was great--minus "How does Leia remember her mommy?" and other bits. And I totally forgot about Luke recalling Dagobah--what the heck was that about?
Sorry about the emotional outburst on the Han, Leia, Luke in the prequels. I just get tired of movies that feel like they have to drag each and every single old character into a sequel/prequel just for money (i.e. POTC, Disney movies, HSM, the like). Yeah, the SW prequels were probably done for this reason; but it's Star Wars. Star Wars has its own set of rules. ;)
Okay, now that I've completely worn out my welcome, I go. Thanks for listening to my rants.
*Gen. C.S. Light*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2008 3:03:26 PM PST
No no no, do NOT apologize, Crystal. People get emotionally involved with Star Wars. It's nice to see younger generations getting into it, as they should be the ones getting into it instead of saddos like me who bought up the figures when they were reissued in the mid-1990s in some pathetic attempt to relive our not that distant (at the time) childhood only to wind up with Rubbermaid boxes full of the stupid things, kicking ourselves for it. Between eBay and friends of mine who've actually got lucky and bore children, I hope I can unload the hunks of plastic.

If anything I should apologize. Looks like I've been dealing with young, enthusiastic people who still think it's really cool the Falcon made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs and wish instead they could go into Tosche station to pick up some power converters. I admire the heck out of you lot for it! I wish I still had that, but I've become too Thomas Aquinas about Star Wars, sadly.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Star Wars forum
Participants:  106
Total posts:  233
Initial post:  Jan 17, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions