Customer Discussions > Tablet forum

Best 7" Tablet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2012 8:37:58 AM PST
Hi guys, I want to buy a 7" tablet, but there are so many options in the market, so I'm very doubtful of wich one to buy.

I want to use the tablet mainly for work (word docs, excel, edf...) and a little bit for gaming.

I'm caught up between a galaxy tab 2, nexus 7, kindle fire hd...what would you recommend me?

JJ

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 8:44:28 AM PST
Try a Lenovo. Amazing tablets. You are limited on the kindle Fire. The tablet has kindle and Nook. So much more to offer. Galaxy tab is okay too. I have an ASUS myself and it's twice the tablet the iPad is. Believe it or not ASUS is amazing!!!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 9:15:15 AM PST
Google's Nexus 7 is the best tablet to get, totally high end specs with low pricing. This is a nobrainer. With the Nexus you get the latest android updates.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:42:22 AM PST
HOW MUCH WAS IT

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:19:29 PM PST
B. Marks says:
First, when someone tells you the best tablet to get, beware! There's no such thing as a "best" tablet. It might very well be a good tablet but this is a little like the Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on your door telling you how to live your life. They may be right but it's their faith talking, not their good sense.

The Nexus 7 is a good choice. It's probably the fastes 7" tablet available right now and the prices is good. It's limitation is it's lack of a micro SD slot for expansion and to ease data transfer. If you get the 32 gig model that's a fairly minor limitation unless you have a special need for a card slot.

The Galaxy Tab 2 7" is another fine tablet. It does have a card slot. It's not nearly as fast as the Nexus but it's a reasonably fast tablet so unless you want to play heavy duty games you won't notice a lot of difference. This is a bit like saying a Farrari is faster than a Ford. You're more likely to win a race in the Farrari but do you really care?

It is true that the Kindle Fire HD is more limited than the other two but it also has access to Amazon's content. The others do too, but not to Amazon's videos and their free Prime videos. So it really depends a lot on your needs. the Fire HD also doesn't have a card slot. It is fast and it does have a great screen. The Nexus screen is as good as the Fire HD and it's faster but the Fire is also very fast; faster than the Samsung, which ain't no slow-poke either.

Of the three the Fire HD has by far the best speakers.

You can do Word and Exel documents on any of these devices if you get an office-type app. There are a number of such to choose from and they're fairly expensive as apps go, but nothing like what they cost on a PC. You can also use Google Docs online to do this and that's free, as long as you have access to the internet.

I've been a long time Lenovo fan. I used Thinkapds for decades, both from IBM and Lenovo. They do make good stuff. But so far Lenovo hasn't impressed me with their tablets. They've come out with one after the other and every one gets poor reviews from both professional reviewers and from users and soon stores begin selling them off at discounts. I don't think Lenovo would be my choice for a tablet.

Toshiba also makes 2 7.7" tablets, the Thrive 7.7 (although I'm not sure they still make those) and the Excite 7.7. I haven't used either but I've been reading about them wondering if I want one and that Exite looks pretty good.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 3:44:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 3:48:11 PM PST
S. A. French says:
If the storage of the Nexus 7 is enough for you, it is by far the superior tablet (16 GB for $199 or 32 GB for $250 is pretty good considering the Samsung 7" is 8 GB for $199). Also remember that even if you get a huge sd card for the Samsung, Android 4.X won't let you install apps or games to that storage space...you can only use it to store media like pictures and movies. So technically the Nexus gives you a lot more usable space and the ability to install way more apps and games (just not 30-50 movies).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:21:12 PM PST
B. Marks says:
That's pretty misleading. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" and it's full of games and I have a lot of room left. The reason Android 4.x won't let you put apps on the card, which is problematic anyway, is that it's app storage expands as needed. Yes you do have less room to expand into on a tablet like the Samsung but that would only affect the most die-hard dedicated heavy duty game player. The average person will never know there's a limit. I'm a power user and I have lots of apps installed and lots of room left. Most people won't install as much as I have. This is simply a non-problem.

My Samsung also has a 64 gig micro SD card and it currently has a bit over 40 gig of videos on it. Let's see you do that with the Nexus. :)

I don't disagree that the Nexus is a fine tablet. It is. But it's certainly not the only good tablet and it's not the best tablet for a lot of people. For others it is.

I considered the Nexus 7 very carefully when I bought my Samsung. I was a hard choice but I decided to get the Samsung because at that time 16 gig just wasn't enough, especially since Android uses about 2.5 gig of that. Now that there's a 32 gig card I'm thinking of getting one but my first choice would still be the Samsung if I didn't already have one.

Everybody has different needs and different uses and the myth of a "best" tablet is just that: a myth.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:42:07 PM PST
R. Ortiz says:
What about Blackberry tablet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 4:42:43 PM PST
R. Ortiz says:
What about the Blackberry Playbook?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:41:20 PM PST
S. A. French says:
I will agree with you that not all people want or need the large apps or games like: the dark knight, the amazing spiderman, nova 3 etc (all of which are around 2 GB each) in much the same way that not everyone wants or needs 50 movies on their tablet. Usually most people would be near wifi so they could watch an almost unlimited number of movies via Netflix, the movies saved on the storage are more for when you are on a road trip (away from wifi) and want to have a few movies for the kids to watch while you drive.

You said that you have tons of apps on your tab with plenty of room to spare, yet I would bet that none of your apps are 2.3 GB each like Batman. If someone wanted even a couple of the new larger games like the three above that I mentioned, the storage space on the Samsung would already be completely full with only those three games and nothing more. If they wanted to download Netflix, facebook, or any other apps, the tablet would make them delete one of those games to make the necessary room...even if they had an empty 64 GB sd card mounted in it.

You always like to use the argument that having or not having an sd card slot is a big selling point (which it is, I completely agree with you on that one...heck, my sons tablet has 39 movies on it right now) but that can also be misleading to people that don't know the way android lets you use that storage space. The point is that if anyone wants to play ANY heavy duty games, the small amount of internal storage on the Samsung is a far bigger issue than its speed. A lot of people would much rather have the extra 8 GB of usable space rather than an sd card slot. Storage aside, the asus has a better screen, faster specs, and a newer version of android.

I just think that people that don't know much about tablets would like to know that while 8GB internal storage with an sd slot sounds better than just 16 GB, it really depends on how they want to use that storage because as you yourself said earlier... "40 gig of videos on it. Let's see you do that with the Nexus. :)". Well using the same logic, you could put around 15 of the new, huge, high end games on the 32 GB Nexus 7 but you could never fit more than 3 on the Samsung... even if you had a 500GB sd card.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 5:49:11 PM PST
B. Marks says:
I have a Blackberry Playbook and it's truly a fine tablet but it's hard for me to recommend it. You have to get all your apps from Blackberry. They've made it very difficult indeed to get apps from any other source. And they have very few apps. They're a dying brand and developers just don't want to write for them.

The screen is excellent. The speakers are the best of any tablet I've used, and I've used a bunch of tablets. The new Kindle Fire HD is the only thing I've used with speakers even in the same class with the Playbook.

It uses an operating system called QNX that Blackberry bought and modifed to use in this tablet. They've done a fine job adapting it as a tablet OS. It's probably the easiest and most intutive tablet to use. Compared to it, an Ipad is tricky. :)

If it only had apps it would probably be the only tablet anybody would ever want. But it doesn't. Their app store has a few apps, mostly for 2 or 3 times the price of Android or IOS apps and their quality tends to be low and they don't have the features you can get in Android or IOS apps.

The apps that come pre-installed are pretty good ones but far from perfect. If they're all you need you might want to consider the Playbook. It was originally a very expensive tablet; probably the most expensive tablet you could buy when they first came out, and now they're selling them for practically nothing.

Legally a corporation is kind of like a person, I'm told, and if so, RIM, the company that makes Blackberry, can be best described as a dummy. :)

Barry
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Tablet forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Tablet forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions