Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more
Customer Discussions > Tablet forum

Best inexpensive tablet for 14 year old boy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 8:51:26 AM PST
Sofie says:
My son is 14 and its his birthday and Christmas next month. I want to get him something special and thought some kind of tablet would do. Something he can use for research, watch movies and play games. What would you suggest?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 9:42:41 AM PST
B. Marks says:
You probably first need to decide if you want to get him a 7" or 10" tablet. A 7" tablet is more portable and easier to hold on to. A 10" tablet is better for things like web browsing but they're heavier and they cost more.

Some good 7" tablets to look at are the Kindle Fire HD, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" and the Nexus 7.

Good 10" tablets are made by Asus, Toshiba and Samsung. They have lower priced models that are just fine and higher priced models that are even better. Generally the lower priced ones are similar to the higher priced ones of last year.

Some features you might want to consider are the screen resolution, whether it has an expansion slot and whether there's a rear camera. Most have front facing cameras. Also he might care about the volume of the speakers.

Higher resolution is better but even the lower resolution devices are very sharp and clear. The higher resolution devices are better yet, but they cost more.

Some of the less expensive ones don't have a micro SD card slot for expansion. That's true of the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7, so if you get one of those you might want to get one with 32 gig so he'll have plenty of room to put things.

If it won't spoil the surprise you might get him involved in your research and selection process. Sometimes it's hard to know what someone else's preferences are.

There are excellent written and video reviews of most of the better tablets at http://mobiletechreview.com.

I would avoid cheap off-brand tablets. Those can save money but most are poor and don't work reliably or well and they lack support. Support is pretty important in a tablet because the OS is constantly being upgraded.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:15:26 PM PST
Sofie says:
Thank you Barry. I will consider the tablets you recommended. Will also check out the review site that you mentioned. And I guess I should take things like expansion, resolution and ability to be upgraded into consideration. Comments greatly appreciated.

Sofie
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Tablet forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
best tablet/reader for PDF files? 50 1 day ago
does amazon fir tablet need a firewall? 0 2 days ago
tablet with wi-fi or wi-fi with cellular? 6 7 days ago
Are there any tablets that supports Java and Adobe Flashplayer? 9 13 days ago
best tablet for reading book for low vision 6 25 days ago
how to download movies to tablet 30 26 days ago
do I need a cell contract in order to use a tablet? 18 26 days ago
can I store comics from comixology on micro sd card on new kindle fire hd 3 Mar 30, 2016
Does anyone make a 7" tablet with a good camera? 15 Mar 26, 2016
whats the best tablet for skype? 70 Mar 20, 2016
Parsing Error unable to parse the package with Amazon Store App on a Naxa NID 7000 Tablet 2 Mar 1, 2016
Is Ematic or Visual Land Tablets any good? 5 Feb 19, 2016

This discussion

Discussion in:  Tablet forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions