Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Tablet forum

Kindle fire vs nexus 7

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 10, 2012 7:44:08 PM PDT
K. Miller says:
My mom has a Kindle Fire and loves it, but it seems like in other discussions a nexus 7 is recomended more. What is the advanatages or disadvantages of each?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 8:57:05 PM PDT
C. Schmidt says:
Hello KM,

I'll try to keep this brief and as jargon free as possible.

Hardware wise, the Nexus is superior to the Fire. It has a better screen, GPS, Bluetooth, better CPU and GPU, etc. On the software side, the only thing that that Fire can do that the Nexus can't is download Amazon videos for later playback. That doesn't mean that there aren't other sources that can be used, only that Amazon reserves that option for the Fire. The Nexus will have access to a much broader wealth of media, apps, etc, including everything Amazon has to offer. Unless you can't live without Amazon's video downloads and/or excellent customer service, there isn't any good reason to buy it over the Nexus.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 9:10:27 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I think the Fire has some advantages and so does the Nexus. It's true that hardware-wise the Nexus wins hands down. But the Fire also has very nice hardware, just not the lastest and greatest like the Nexus does.

They're both very limited by the lack of an SD card although the Fire does have other limitations as well.

Basically they're both designed to consume media. The Fire is for Amazon media and the Nexus is for Google media. And there's the rub. Amazon has been building itself up for a while and has reached the point where it has a pretty large collection of media. There's a lot there. Google obviously plans to do the same thing, and they probably will do it, but at the moment they're way behind the curve.

That's not as bad as it sounds since both have access to other media sources such as Netflix.

I think right now the Fire might be the better choice. I suspect that won't stay true but that's not really sure.

That is, unless you want to play games. There are a lot of really good games for the Fire but the Nexus has a huge advantage with games. It can probably play almost all the games the Fire can and a lot of games the Fire can't. It's very likely to be a superb game machine.

One thing I'd really recommend if you get the Nexus is getting the 16 gig version, not the 8 gig version that's coming out first. Both of these tablets are tragically limited in their storage, lacking SD card slots. The usable storage on the 16 gig version will probably be 3 or 4 times as much as the usable storage on the 8 gig Nexus or the Fire.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 9:53:39 PM PDT
C. Schmidt says:
Just a few quickies in response.

The Nexus has more media access than the Fire, as it can get everything the Fire can plus more. For example, out of the box, the the Fire is cut off from anything Nook related while the Nexus isn't. There are also more media access apps available in Google Play than in Appstore, again giving the advantage to the Nexus.

Because of its better hardware and access to Google Play, the Nexus has a substantially larger variety of apps it can use,
not just games. For example, anything location based is a bust on the Fire. Besides navigation apps, this includes star maps, games, augmented reality, and several other entire categories.

The Fire can't touch the Nexus in gaming, having much weaker hardware and lower access to game apps. Also, most high end games available for the Fire are Fire exclusive titles that cost more than the same app for the Nexus.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 4:42:56 AM PDT
B. Marks says:
I do agree that the Nexus is a lot more impressive hardware than the Fire and I can't disagree with anything you've said about media apps, etc. I just think for most people none of that will matter. Most people will use media sources they both support.

Except the GPS. I'd forgotten that.

Barry

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 6:26:57 AM PDT
K. Miller says:
Ok so is the Nexus about the best tablet in this price range or is there another one I should also consider?

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:17:14 AM PDT
B. Marks says:
Another one to consider is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. It's a more general purpose tablet than the Kindle Fire. It's pretty much the same sort of tablet as the Nexus 2 but with a less powerful CPU. Not under-powered by any means. Just not as powerful as that in the Nexus.

It does have an SD card slot though, which is important. Of these three that would be my first choice.

The Nexus is certainly likely to be the nicest of the bunch but it's lack of an SD card slot is a pretty big hindrance. To me that's less of a problem with the Kindle Fire because it's not really a full fledged tablet anyway. It's an Amazon media consumer. But the Nexus is a full fledged tablet as well as a media consumer but it doesn't have enough storage for a general purpose tablet and it can't be expanded.

I suspect that a lot of people are going to buy the Nexus, love it, brag about it, be very happy they got it, and still be very irritated at it's lack of storage.

Barry

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:27:46 AM PDT
K. Miller says:
On the samsung galaxy and the nexus can you read books? And on all three can you do word documents, my mom hasn't figured ouut how to do word documents on her kindle fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:30:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 7:31:02 AM PDT
C. Schmidt says:
I my opinion, it's the best at the $200 price. At the $250 price point (the 16GB model), it has some competition with the Samsung Tab 2 7" model. The Nexus is superior to that model is almost every respect, but the Tab has a couple extra hardware items that the Nexus does not. Namely, as Barry mentioned, is the SD card slot. It also has the hardware and software needed to be used as a giant remote control for your TV and other devices. And finally, it has cameras on the front and rear, while the Nexus only has the front camera. The rear camera isn't great, but, it's there if one really really wants it.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:38:29 AM PDT
K. Miller says:
Do you have to buy these online? I have never bought an electronic device online, only in store. If you buy it online and have problems what do you do? Is there somewhere you can take it? Is the Nexus sold in stores?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:40:23 AM PDT
C. Schmidt says:
Currently, it's pre-order only online. However, yes, it will be sold in stores. If you pre-order, you will get a $25 credit to your Google Account that you can use for apps and media. https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_8gb&feature=device-featured#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDIwMiwibnVsbC1mZWF0dXJlZF9kZXZpY2VzX1VTX18yX3Byb21vXzEzNDA1MTg5NjUwMzYiXQ..

Like with any item you buy, if it has problems, you call their tech support.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 8:24:43 AM PDT
B. Marks says:
I prefer to buy online. Amazon is where I get most of my stuff. They make it very easy and if you have problems they make it very easy to return things, usually postage free. It's probably even easier to return things to Amazon than to Walmart, and Walmart is very easy indeed. :)

If you have problems with any electronic device, no matter where you buy it, the usual thing is to exchange it for a new one in the first 30 days. After that you contact the manufacturer. That's true whether you buy it in a store or online.

Also, depending on what state you live in, buying online is likely to mean no sales tax.

Barry

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 9:17:16 AM PDT
K. Miller says:
Thank you all I just ordered the nexus 7!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 10:29:42 AM PDT
C. Schmidt says:
Good deal, hope it's all you wanted it to be. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 10:43:26 AM PDT
K. Miller says:
Thanks!

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 11:50:46 AM PDT
B. Marks says:
When you get it be sure to give us a review.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 12:10:19 PM PDT
K. Miller says:
Will do, thank you for your help

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 3:00:11 PM PDT
Review...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6054/google-nexus-7-mini-review

Google Now Voice Search Hands On - Nexus 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyKj-6oqcwE&feature=player_embedded#t=0s

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 4:45:08 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
I've seen reviews of it. It's just nice to get them in here where we can ask questions.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 4:57:08 PM PDT
Barry, if you are referring to my post then going by your previous posts I can see that.

My links are for those new to this thread and device to hopefully learn something for themselves.

Update:

The Nexus 7 Has One More Trick Up Its Sleeve: A Magnetic Smart Cover Sensor
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/07/11/the-nexus-7-has-one-more-trick-up-its-sleeve-a-magnetic-smart-cover-sensor/

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 6:49:01 PM PDT
B. Marks says:
Sorry. I thought your post was a response to my post.

Barry

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 11:38:36 AM PDT
C. Schmidt says:
Nexus 7 pre orders have officially started shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 5:38:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2012 5:40:01 PM PDT
Still not in Australia.

I could probably swim over to the States quicker than Google are looking after us Down Under.

Not a patch on Amazon's customer service!

Sink or swim a simple email update from them would be appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 6:40:24 PM PDT
C. Schmidt says:
Well, they're right down the street, so, if you decide to take a swim, let me know and we'll do lunch. :) For what it's worth, none of the folks I know that pre ordered got notices either, and some jumped on it as soon as the website was up.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 7:42:34 PM PDT
See you for lunch after I dry off from my swim.

Another poster here just posted this...

Purchased from:
Google, Inc.
XXXX Amphitheatre Parkway
Mountain View
CA
United States

Shipping Status
Quantity
Item
Price
Shipped
UPS #1Z7F382V02XXXX
Nexus 7 (16GB)
$249.00
Shipping:
$13.99
Tax(FL):
$17.43
Total:
$280.42
The terms and conditions which apply to your purchase can be found athttps://play.google.com/about/device-terms.html

Check the status of this order anytime in your Google Wallet Account.

Questions? Contact Google Play or call 1-855-83-NEXUS ( 1-855-836-3987 ).

What makes it worse is she couldn't cancel the order and will refuse delivery on Monday.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Tablet forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Tablet forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jul 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions