Customer Discussions > Tablet forum

Did I buy the wrong tablet?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 7:58:57 PM PST
Brenda Jones says:
I am not tech savvy at all. I don't have a smartphone. I have been content with my Kindle DX for over a year. I bought the Galaxy Note 10.1 for the writing capability. I am having a hard time setting it up. It doesn't seem like it user-friendly for a beginner. Is there something else that will provide the writing capability that will wrok out of the box?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:33:52 PM PST
S. A. French says:
Have you tried looking up tutorials on using the Note? You should be able to find lots of good stuff on it on YouTube. The Note is basically a regular android tablet aside from it having the extra note taking ability. If you really want or need to take notes you would be best just learning how to use it. Android is really easy to get used to it just might take you a little time.

My advice to you would be for you to get onto YouTube (using the Note, not a regular computer... might as well start getting used to it now) and just look up android 4.X tutorials. If you aren't tech savvy, you will have to learn to use any tablet that you choose and android is just as easy as any of the other options. I bet that within about an hour or so you will feel a lot more comfortable with it and it will all start to come together. Don't be afraid to just start messing with stuff as long as you read anything that pops up you shouldn't have to worry about hurting anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 8:37:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:37:56 PM PST
S. A. French says:
Sorry, I almost forget to ask you how far you have been able to get so far so I can help pinpoint your problem. Have you successfully completed the setup and signed into your wifi and created or signed into your gmail account so that you now are at the home screens (it's like the windows desktop)?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:45:43 PM PST
Brenda Jones says:
Thank you so much for answering my question. Yes, I am that far. Is there a way to remove the programs that I don't want?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:30:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 9:34:08 PM PST
S. A. French says:
The simplest option for now (until you get a lot more comfortable with android) would be to put all the apps you want to use frequently on your home screens and remove any that you wont use from those home screens. If you open your app drawer (the icon that looks like several little squares in the top right corner of the screen) you will be able to see all of the apps and widgets that are currently installed on your tablet.

If you long press on an apps icon, it will let you move it to one of your home screens. Likewise, if there is an icon on your home screen that you don't want there, you can long press it and it will give you options to interact with it (for instance, it might pop up a trash can that you can move it to in order to remove it from the screen). Doing this will not delete the app itself, just remove the icon from the home screen (unless it pops up a window asking you if you are sure you want to delete the app).

You can permanently delete the apps you don't want by going to the apps option in the settings menu. I would advise against this until you get the swing of things.

Remember that long pressing (to touch something and hold down rather than releasing right away) when using the android OS works a lot like right clicking with a mouse in windows... For instance, if you want to download a picture that you found on the web, you could press and hold on it for a few seconds until an options window pops up asking you what you would like to do with it (just like if you right clicked a picture on the web when using a windows computer).

If you wanted to change your background wallpaper on a windows pc, you could right click on an empty area of the desktop background and options would pop up allowing you to do that....Likewise, with android if you also wanted to change the background, instead of right clicking, you would long press on an empty area of your home screen.

Android is a basic Operating System and very much like others that you have likely used. You can get much more in depth with it by rooting (that basically means you would get administration privileges) but for now you should just focus on learning the basics.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 4:48:42 AM PST
B. Marks says:
The Kindle is designed to be a very simple device that lets you read and that's all it does. An Android tablet is a powerful and flexible computer that will let you do many things. Because of that it's necessarily a more complex device and there is a bit of a learning curve. It's easier to learn than Windows but it's more like learning Windows than learning to use a Kindle.

The trick is patience. Just learn little by little how to do the things you want to do. Don't be in a hurry to learn everything. You can't. No-one can. What happens instead is that you begin to understand the way Android works and how to learn the next thing.

Then, one day, you'll wake up and realize that you've become tech-savvy. :)

Barry

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:27:22 AM PST
Brenda Jones says:
Thank you both for your help.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Tablet forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions