Customer Discussions > Tablet forum

Non-iPad Music Tablet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 5:36:38 PM PST
I'm interested in a good non-iPad tablet for music applications (creating: music notation and recording- not mp3 listening)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 12:18:19 PM PST
Diginick says:
I am looking into the same thing, I'm thinking one of the Android tablets which are nice and cheap (enough).
Google Nexus or Samsung Galaxy are the tops I bet, but many in those categories too.

Cheers

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:25:46 PM PST
M. Cohoon says:
Just buy an iPad, there will not be the same applications you want on android. And, the ones that they do have will be low quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:03:45 PM PST
B. Marks says:
I looked at the music notation apps on Google Play today, in fact. Some looked pretty good.

I use an Ipad and an Android tablet and I use apps on both. I don't find the quality of apps better on either of these devices than the other.

Barry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:21:33 AM PST
Thanks for the reply. What apps do you use?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 10:28:07 AM PST
B. Marks says:
I'm not using any apps for music. I took a look a what was available when this thread caught my interest. I played classical guitar for a few decades many decades ago. I still find discussion of music interesting but I'm really just a listener these days.

Barry

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:09:24 PM PST
Ldirf says:
I use Android exclusively, including a Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 in the classroom and I'll admit that Android has been quite a bit behind. Things are changing, though, and with a few exceptions, there's almost no dropoff from using an iPad. First, the downside - there are virtually no GarageBand apps for Android at this point. There also is no Finale or Sibelius apps (they're just working on a Sibelius app for iPad right now.) Basically, for companies who haven't developed for either very much, they all tend to start with Apple. It's a little easier to develop for since there's only one product. Android's open source with multiple products means having to spend a little more resources on development.

On to the positive. There are several really good music theory apps (note-learning, etc.) as well as tuners, metronomes, chord learning, PDF apps to use for scores/music viewing (I used my Nexus 10 for our Winter Concert - scanned all of the scores - used EZPDFReader and RepligoReader) - some people like MobileSheets which is a sort-of replacement for the iPad's ForScore, iREAL b for jazz, tons of sequencing apps, Coach's Eye (for video recording and then playback in slow mo - this is great for discussion about embourchure/technique). Also Splashtop Whiteboard, which if you have a SmartBoard (I don't), will allow you to use the SmartBoard wirelessly with your Android Tablet. This is just a start. Some apps I use - DaTuner, Metronome Beats, Perfect Ear, EasyBand, Sight Read, Fakebook, Random Student (generates random student selection from your class - I use this for quizzes), Rude (rudiment trainer for percussion.

Hope that helps!

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 10:26:58 AM PDT
jeffn1 says:
Ipad's screen is too small IMHO (keyboard player). I have been using a PC laptop with Charttrax, pdf-xchange viewers, and billipro pedal. Although it has worked reasonably well, I wanted something smaller than laptop (standing on its side) on music stand (blocked me a lot).

I just bought Toshiba Excite 13 and plan to migrate to Mobilesheets, a Pagelip Cicada foot pedal, K&M 1972 tablet holder. I hoping everything works out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Tablet forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Tablet forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions