Customer Discussions > TV shows forum

Closed captioning is sorely missed. Why cant it be downloaded same as the original shows are

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 9:28:14 AM PST
Enjoyment of shows such as 'Damages', Downton Abbey, is diminished for those hard of hearing and rely on closed captioning for full enjoyment.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:22:45 AM PST
Jason Fox says:
Yeah, I agreed. Still, I don't understand why can't the film/dvds makers include the English subtitles for the old tv shows like those animated complete series. That would be ideal since Closed Captioning are very expensive and requires different feature to activate the subtexts. Anyway. It's frustrating for me as well since I'm hard of hearing too. I had to watch the Transformers Complete Series on pc with headphones and I can pick up some dialogues but alot.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 5:35:59 PM PST
Thomas David says:
You need to complain to the makers of these DVDs as well as to closed captioning boards. It is a right that those who require such services get them and hose that produce show should know that. I'm not even hard of hearing but I like watching caption on and try to let companies know if they have shoddy job

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:01:54 PM PST
I, also, need subtitling for hearing loss! No longer buy or see anything without! Closed-captioning, if well done, helps, but is difficult for enjoyment. I am certainly not in a "minority" regarding subtitles. We non-hearers are a large market that is seemingly ignored. Can't help but wonder if my loss of hearing places me in a "non-hearing" category, for whom no help is available - a discrimination, certainly, which some legal-eagle will find financially worth the time necessary for its pursuit! JM Torresen 12/17/2012

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:23:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 1:23:50 PM PST
Jason Fox says:
You're kidding me, right? You think the makers will give a flying rats' asses about the deaf/hard-of-hearing. If that's the case, then we would already have cinema's movies with subtitles. Those complaints have already been made many years ago. I'll bet you a pretty dime that those movies will have Spanish subtitles before English subtitles for the deaf/h.o.h.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 12:24:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 12:26:03 PM PST
Collin says:
To be fair, a majority of theaters in America already do offer subtitles. It's either a special showing time (usually midday) or they have a caption box in the back of the room and one wears a special set of glasses to see them. Almost all "major" movie theater chains like AMC have equipment setup so they don't lose customers that are hard of hearing or deaf.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 3:00:15 PM PST
Faye P says:
I am also among the "hard of hearing" and rely on english subtitles or closed captioning when viewing tv or movies (streaming or dvd). My investment in Amazon Prime is useless for viewing since nothing here is closed captioned or subtitled. I am also paying for Netflix streaming and HuluPlus to get things I can enjoy viewing. I keep checking Amazon and hoping for different result (isn't that the definition of insanity?) Maybe by the end of my Prime subscription year I will have good news.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the TV shows forum (19 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  TV shows forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions