Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Recents problems with Amazon's trade in program

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 81 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 16, 2011 6:42:29 AM PDT
Easybooks says:
I have been utilizing Amazon's trade in program for over a year with few problems. However, in the last few weeks, I've noticed a significant degradation of the service. In one instance, it took over a week once the package was delivered to receive the credit. In another, I sent in 2 books, but was only credited for one, despite the fact that the weight of the package on UPS clearly indicated 2 books. Has any one else had similar problems lately?

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 12:14:38 PM PDT
It took about a week for my credit to come in as well, although it was the first time I had ever used Amazon's trade-in service. Seems to be slow moving once it got to Amazon, but I did get the amount I was promised in credit.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 2:39:47 PM PDT
Wickett says:
I have also noted a significant increase in the time between the delivery of the package and the credit of the gift card amount. This is a recent development, but if it continues, I may have to explore other options.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 3:25:11 PM PDT
Kim C. Bui says:
this will be my first time using amazon's trade in program and I have several textbooks to trade in. can you tell me how were you able to add more than one book on the same shipping label?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2011 3:30:26 PM PDT
Easybooks says:
simply search for the isbn at the top of any Amazon page, then click on the trade-in button. You might want to consider shipping each product separately, though, to avoid the issue of only being credited for 1/2 of the shipment. A little more work, but no extra cost to you since Amazon picks up the shipping cost.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 6:08:25 PM PDT
I just heard about this program through Gizmodo, a tech and gadget blog. I imagine the program made the rounds on popular blogs and websites recently. I'll bet Amazon is trying to cope with the influx of new business.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 9:56:28 PM PDT
Has anyone used the selling back program? I see frequently in the order box the note asking you if you got one to sell. I trying to figure out how it is supposed to work. I don't have a problem with the low price, but how can Amazon get a commission from $0.01?

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 5:41:36 AM PDT
frankp93 says:
I've used the program twice: the first time it took almost three weeks to get credit but recently it took about a week. You're dealing with third-party merchants who ultimately accept your item and that means a certain amount of randomness, just as buying from them does. Look at the tracking information to see where the bottleneck is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 7:35:33 AM PDT
K. Busha says:
They take it out of the shipping credit. It's not worth it to sell if you're not asking at least $2, that will, usually, cover the cost of shipping. But you wont make anything really from it. When you go to list the book for sale they will actually show you what your profit will be, just check to make sure it's enough to cover shipping and if its worth it to you to drive to the post office for the amount of money you're going to make

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2011 8:04:06 AM PDT
Diables Bleu says:
Huh? First of all you don't ASK for a price, you tell them what book you have (it must be in good condition) and they tell you what they will pay you for it. Second, they post a shipping label for you to print out...you don't pay for shipping whether you sell back 1 book or 5. Third, you ship them all to the same place. The only question is whether or not you'll make enough to cover your box and tape and the cost of driving to a UPS site (they give you a UPS Shipping Label), so you don't drive to a Post Office.

When you sell back books you are given an option of what to do if your book is deemed unacceptable - they can dispose of it or send it back to you. If they send it back they deduct the cost of shipping from your account (or money made from selling back other books).
If you don't select send it back, they dispose of the book and you get no monetary credit.

My experience is that my kids make more money using the Amazon sellback program than they would selling them back to the University bookstore (for those University's that still have Brick and Mortar bookstores) but less than if they can sell them to another student.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 10:18:05 AM PDT
Diables Bleu: Thanks for your advise. I am cleaning out my bookshelves and I really have a problem with "giving" books away. I know it's a quirk but there you go. I don't mind if I don't make a lot of money. The example I looked at was: list price $5.45 and then there were several "used" prices of 0.01. What price would you set? Thanks so much for your help.

Posted on Aug 17, 2011 11:44:23 AM PDT
Octavius says:
Possibly around the beginning or end of college semesters they are probably a little busy. I've used it twice with good results.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 10:16:50 AM PDT
Easybooks says:
Doesn't matter as they promise credit within 2 business days, not a week.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 1:06:06 PM PDT
I'm a college student at NCSU, and there are advertisements about the book buybacks all over this campus. I think it could be that since, just like me, there are often college students whose bookstores wouldn't buy back their books, maybe they are slow because of an increase in traffic over the past few and upcoming weeks. Just an opinion. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 4:03:17 PM PDT
Becky25 says:
When you click that you want to trade your book in and it gets added to your trade in list, look either above where it says items or below where it says total, it should say add another item. Click on that and you can add another book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2011 4:21:42 PM PDT
Bella says:
If you didn't figure it out already once you find the item, select it, there's a small link at the bottom left hand of the page it should say "add another item" or something to that affect and then when you click it, it will list movies - books - video games . Something like that. Took me a minute too but i got it

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 7:50:24 PM PDT
K. Yoder says:
I have used the text book trade in program before and it went well, but this time it took 2 weeks after I had shipped the book before my trade in was denied due to "damaged pages". The book was in good condition when I sent it, so I was confused with the response I got. After the book was sent back to me, I noticed a cut in the middle of the cover of the book and also through the first few pages. I guess they cut through the box I sent it in and cut the book when they did it. So my book was denied because whoever was opening the box damaged my book, not because I sent them a damaged book. Also, when you send them the book, they ask you to send it in a box. When they sent my book back to me, they sent it in a thin bubble mailer, giving more opportunities for damage on the return. I am not very happy about this and I will be sending an email to see if I can get anything in return for my trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 6:26:21 AM PDT
yes you can.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 5:57:46 PM PDT
Yes I mailed two books back using USPS on 8.14.11 and Amazon is still showing that the books have not been received yet. I know USPS is slow but 14 days seems a bit outrageous.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 11:10:20 PM PDT
I shipped a package to them that is also showing as being "in transit" for a very long time. Something is wrong with the USPS, obviously. I am concluding that I should not have packaged more than one book at a time in a box, so as not to have all my eggs in one basket. Also, when sending books to Amazon's buy-back program, to buy additional insurance for any textbook that is worth more than $50 (if using the horrible USPS--am going to use UPS next time, if there is one).

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 7:59:29 AM PDT
Sue says:
I have exactly the same problem

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 8:37:22 AM PDT
J. Babbit says:
I recently used the Amazon Trade In Program in August 2011 due to the incentive of getting more money back than I would selling it back to a university book store. As listed above, it has been over a week and still no credit has been posted to my account. That is unfortunate considering I am as close as anyone else to being an amazon shopping addict. And like anyone else I do not do business with companies that screw over there customers.(i.e. walmart, at&t, etc.) I was also thinking about buying shares of amazon because I invest in companies that I usually do business with and have a good track record. Judging just by the website amazon has a lot going on and they may have bit off more than they can chew.

Posted on Aug 29, 2011 8:42:57 AM PDT
My books have arrived at the center but it still maintains that they have not been received. Im not happy with this situation.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 10:40:22 AM PDT
there do you see if u recieved a credit

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 10:40:40 AM PDT
where**
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (593 discussions)

ARRAY(0xb074957c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions