Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Access Code

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2011 7:19:33 PM PST
J. Magana says:
I have a textbook that came with a student access code that is required to register for online student consultation. I have already registered with the code, therefore I don't believe anyone else would be able to use the code. Am I still able to trade this book or not? If so, is the trade value affected? Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 7:29:43 AM PST
Yes, you can. I have sold books with used online code to Amazon and other online book dealers many times.

The point is you're selling a used book, so it is assumed any online access code that came with the book has been used already.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 1:09:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2011 1:12:50 PM PST
Well, technically they can't check the code without using it, unless you obviously had to rip something open or something, so...

Really, the trade-in programs usually like getting books in as close to like-new condition as possible, including all extras and codes included and unused. This is because they'll often turn around and sell the seemingly new ones as being a brand new book, and so on. But, you can try and see what happens.

And Billy, you're wrong, sorry. YOU may assume that any access codes and such are used already, but that doesn't mean everyone does. There are a surprisingly high number of books that can go through several owners before reaching someone that needs to use the disc/access code/whatever. So, I have no idea why you'd think it's assumed they're no good. I've had no problem buying used books in the past with perfectly good and usable access codes. That's part of the reason sellers are supposed to disclose if the disc or codes with the book are included and valid. They don't all do so, but are supposed to, for a reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 3:44:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2011 4:10:22 PM PST
"That's part of the reason sellers are supposed to disclose if the disc or codes with the book are included and valid. "

Of course, if you're selling the book yourself in the marketplace (or other sites like eBay, Craig's list etc) it is ethically incumbent upon you to disclose whether the access code is used or not. Your student buyer needs to know that information. But that's not what we're discussing here. Here we are talking about selling (trading-in) books to online textbook merchants. It is my belief that when these professional book traders buy used textbooks they assume the online access code- if they came with one- has been used. They can't expect a used book to have an unused code. That's just not logical. Again, I'm speaking from multiple experiences. I've never had a trade-in (here) or buyback (other sites) denied because I sent a book with used code.

Most online access codes can be used only once. That's why registration is often required to use/activate them (just as the OP stated). Codes that come with foreign language textbooks are a perfect example of this. These codes are hidden under a scratchable surface. So, if the code is exposed it's natural to assume it has been used.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 8:36:11 PM PST
I had rent a book for a semester and it has new Online Access Code. Is it ok if i use the code since I need it.

Posted on Dec 9, 2013 5:55:46 PM PST
If i rented a book and used the access code, do I send the access code back or keep it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2013 3:33:19 AM PST
Delos says:
It's a weird case. I'd send it back, so they don't say it's 'incomplete', but, clearly, no one following is going to be using it.

I've noticed that the rental and warehouse section has changed their condition warning text on textbooks. Even though, for trade-in they are clear they want *us* to include everything that came with, including unused access codes, in the original ISBN package - they say for rentals and used textbooks *they* sell that you cannot count on access codes coming with them.

Posted on Jan 6, 2014 1:02:08 PM PST
Tammy Lofton says:
can I use an used access code? or do they only work once

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2014 4:13:06 AM PST
Delos says:
Yeah. They only work once. Hence, that's why publishers like to use and are increasing use of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2014 4:42:15 PM PST
I too would like to know if I can use it

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2014 5:36:42 AM PST
Delos says:
My answer above applies.

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 11:25:25 AM PST
If i rent a book from amazon that in the title says connect code, but it does say that you cannot count on it coming with an access code, should i assume it wont come with one?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2014 3:11:07 AM PST
Delos says:
Yes.

I'd find the ISBN for just the access code alone, usually you can find from the publisher website, and then also buy from here (only in the NEW category) from Amazon LLC directly. Not a third party, marketplace seller, in this particular case.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2014 7:18:56 PM PST
brian evans says:
I have bought used books from Amazon with new installation disks and access codes repackaged in the book. You just have to make sure it says access code or cd included.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2014 2:35:09 AM PST
Delos says:
Sometimes they do. But, in the rentals, which is what some people above are asking about, they specifically added language indicating that they may not, so you can't expect them to, or get a refund if they don't.

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 11:17:04 PM PDT
fahimeh says:
I have a use book , how can I bye access cod?It any site that sell the access cod?

Posted on Aug 28, 2014 11:17:48 PM PDT
fahimeh says:
I have a use book , how can I bye access cod?It any site that sell the access cod?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2014 12:45:41 PM PDT
Happy Feet says:
Did you get an answer? I need to buy an access code, too.

Posted on Oct 26, 2014 7:44:23 PM PDT
P. Rodriguez says:
can i use the access code if i rented a amazon book ?

Posted on Nov 23, 2014 1:10:21 PM PST
If you drop a class and drop registration for the access code. Could someone still register with the codes you used?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions