Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Recents problems with Amazon's trade in program

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 83 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 21, 2011 8:06:32 AM PDT
T. Forsman says:
I turned in 8 books - 2 with DVDs - and I tracked the shipment - which took the full 7 days to arrive - but once Amazon had both packages I received my credit right away! One package was credited in 4 hours the other in 12 hours - I received full value of the items submitted as indicated on the trade in form for good condition. I followed the directions and my books had some light highlighting in them but otherwise perfect! I was happy with the service and the process! and I got $170 for shopping! Love this program!!!

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 6:29:14 AM PDT
S. Bladowski says:
I just started using amazon trade ins and have done very well. I was kind of skeptical about it because of recent reviews but even when i had to contact customer service about one trade in, the customer service agent was VERY helpful and even told me that if the gift card was not deposited in 30 day(which yes is a long time to wait compared to the 2-3 days they say they will deposit it) then they would go ahead and deposit the amount i was supposed to receive. I did end up getting it within 5 days and every other book ive sent in has gotten a gift card deposited in just hours from them receiving the package. I will def continue to do business with amazon trade ins:))

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 12:52:51 PM PDT
Liesel09 says:
I sent in three boxes at the same time. The first box arrived ahead of the other two and I had my credit in about 3 days. According to delivery confirmation, the other two boxes arrived 5 days ago, but neither box has been processed yet. Interesting....

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 7:56:20 AM PST
Aimee in MI says:
Okay, I sent my books in- 8 in all. 3 were returned, that's fine. What I have a problem with is I received the gift card amount in 3 days on all but 1 book- they're still "VERIFYING" it... IT HAS BEEN 2 WEEKS!!! If they don't want it,they should return it, so I can sell it elsewhere before the value goes down. Again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 11:10:42 AM PST
G. Kauff says:
i have used Amazon's trade in program a few times with no problems. But recently I sent in 5 books. 2 books we accepted and 3 are still pending. It has been over 2 weeks since they received my trade in. Is there any way of contacting them. I have looked all over the website and can not find a number to contact the trade in department. Hopefully they can get the problems they are having solved. would like to buy the new Kindle Fire but i am waiting for the credit to be deposited.

Posted on Nov 16, 2011 7:31:30 AM PST
I have a book I want to trade in and Amazon will give me a 1.00 USD credit. I looked on the web site and they are selling the same book in similar condition for 49.77 to 19.00. Why the huge price difference in purchasing a used book and me selling this book back to Amazon?!?!?

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 1:45:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2011 2:57:55 AM PST
Michael says:
It's been over a week since I submitted one textbook and status shows as "not yet received" yet I confirmed with customer service that they have received it on the 16th of November. I still haven't gotten credit and was expecting it BEFORE black Friday/cyber Monday to use the credits. I think I'll use half.com before using this site again. The book they might buy from me is selling for 180 and they bought it for 85. Man did I get ripped off.

Just received a response from Amazon CS:

"It looks like the merchant has received your submission but is still processing it. The update of the status may be delayed due to some technical reason."

Such crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 12:14:32 PM PST
Same exact thing here. Sent in and sitting at about a week of 'not yet received' but the tracking shows that it was clearly delivered. Again, same in hoping the credit would be posted by the sale dates, but where's the profit in that :). Anyway, not complaining, but I've never had it take this long. Somewhat expected with holidays and Tgiving weekend, but really, how long do these boxes stay on shelves before getting checked in.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 10:50:48 AM PST
eslaws says:
Service is really unreliable. I sent in 6 textbooks and they never processed 2 of them (the most expensive ones). I called several times and someone kept saying they would get back to me but they didn't. After my 3rd call they finally offered by a promotional certificate for the amount. Unfortunately, you can only use it for Amazon items. Very unfair to give the customer a worse deal for their mistake.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 1:38:02 PM PST
"Very unfair to give the customer a worse deal for their mistake."

What do you mean? The trade-in program has always been and is still trading in books for an Amazon gift card balance. If they gave you the amount that was offered for the books in a promo balance, how is that a worse deal for their mistake, since that's exactly what you would have gotten anyway? Amazon gift cards have always been for items purchased on Amazon only, including the Marketplace and such. It doesn't sound like you got anything different.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 8:01:14 AM PST
J. M. Holden says:
I double checked my isbn on my book before sending it in (first time to try the system.) It took them almost a week after receiving it to give me an answer. (The book was in new condition the cd's inside were still sealed. They tried telling me it was the "incorrect isbn" and sent a book back. (The reason I say "a book" is it wasn't the one I sent in the first place.) I had planned on sending 4 more books, but cancelled the trade after this happened. It is not worth the time and effort.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 10:16:46 PM PST
Kelly says:
This program has been a nightmare for me, with no one on the other end to fix problems. Amazon just throws credits at it rather than fix the problems which continue to plague this program. Thank God I have graduated and am not buying textbooks from them anymore. Still have one on my desk that was just returned in the exact condition I purchased it, never left my desk, and was returned TO HAWAII as not the condition I marked, AND even though I said don't return it. Other orders they returned several times each as they said they didn't arrive in time even though I mailed them the next day. What a waste of resources, apparently Amazon is rollling in it so much so they don't have to fix problems.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 2:11:21 AM PST
Schorsch says:
I sent two shipments on the same day. They are showing they received one box and that the other box is MIA. The have credited me for one of the books immediately. The other six books (which they quoted me prices on all of them and theISBN's are identical matches) are in excellent or new condition have been pending for over 7 days. I don't know what to do. I am filing a claim with the Post Office on the missing box. At least I have a record of the box and it's value...I should have gone with another service but I am an Amazon Addict (due to a disability my shopping trips are limited). We know our UPS man by name and are teased by the neighbors for our daily deliveries. I hate to have to find a new vendor for all our shopping but this does not bode well for Amazon. I also had two returns that are taking forever to post. Both of them brand-new still in their packaging and returned withing 7 days for one and 1 day for the other. Keeps saying they are determing if I am able to get a refund (odd as they said I was when I set up the return).....UGGGG....not another retailer I cannot trust!!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 9:48:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 9:57:09 AM PST
love to read says:
Maybe I've just been lucky. Over the last year I sent in six separate trade-ins. Each contained several books. I used USPS on the first four and UPS on the last two. UPS was much faster. On all of them I received my credit within two days of the packages being received. All together I got over $200 in Amazon gift cards. My take on this is that if you follow the instructions exactly and pack the books well, the system works. Then again, it may just have been luck!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 12:07:43 PM PST
I sent back a biology book and it has been several months. Amazon sent me an email telling me to contact another company. Still haven't resolved it.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 12:53:33 PM PST
RECD says:
Try your college store! They pay now and do not lose books. Besides: cash is King!

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 12:54:32 PM PST
AllieJean says:
I had them return a bunch of my books saying there was water damage when there clearly was not.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 3:11:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2012 6:07:55 PM PST
Jessica says:
I recently sent in a rather large trade in order with boks and most importantly my kindle keyboard. Once there a few of the books were credited, a few were not acceptable (which I understand), but I sent the kindle in perfect condition. It was literally in the original packaging, not a mark on it, all the documentation included all the way down to the cardboard sleeve that held the charger at purchase. I packed the box well, with plastic packing material, etc. However, when amazon received it they said the kindle was "severly damaged." I understand things can get damaged in shipping, but the kindle was in the box they mail them in. If it can get damaged that severely in that box INSIDE another box with packing material, then why is amazon selling them in that package?

UPDATE: Amazon offered me a promotional credit for the full value I should have received for the kindle, so that's good. I'll be less upset when I actually see the credit applied to my acct.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 10:37:05 PM PST
INSPI(RED) says:
I sent back 3 txt books.. one never even used but when I sent them back that was the txt book they said (1st) wasn't the same condition (2nd)was a different edition of the book. The book was never used & was returned in the same condition it came. When I received it back I noticed on the front & back the "used" stickers was partially removed. Amazon did that, Not Me so in essence they damaged my book more & lowered the condition of it.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:59:52 AM PDT
dlytle75 says:
I've used Amazon's trade-in program multiple times in the past and had great satisfaction; however, the last one that I did has really changed my opinion of Amazon. It has been a horrible experience. The package was received on October 11th and today is October 30th, and my trade-in account still says, "Processing". They still have yet to deposit my gift card. I've spoken to four different customer service agents. The first three told me the package had been received, and the deposit should be made the next day. One agent did give me a promotion credit; however, this has so many restrictions and is not the same as a gift card or what I agreed to. The last agent that I spoke to lied to me saying that the package was received on the 19th and had not had time to be processed yet. When I challenged her on the tracking number and the October 11 delivery date, she became defensive and told me that I would just have to be patient with the gift card credit. I've been a loyal Amazon customer for many years; however, this experience has really change my outlook. I definitely will not be using the trade-in program anymore. Very bad experience this time and poor customer service.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 10:21:23 AM PDT
MommaNuch says:
I have only addressed any issues in writing...it is the only was to have documentation of what has occurred..(it can be time consuming and a pain, I know)......but I have never had problems getting things taken care of doing it that way...I think people think about what stares them in the face so much more than what they hear (I am a speech pathologist by trade...people seem to tune others out easily....sad, but true) Hope this helps! Marji

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:54:35 AM PST
J. P. Huang says:
It seems that they outsourced the trade-in department to a third party company which amazon has little control over. I have some issues also, and the customer service rep told me to sell the book else where. Very bad experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 6:03:55 AM PDT
HDpalooza says:
I'm in the same boat. I sent $45.00 worth of DVD's via UPS which were received within 2 days of shipment and now 2 weeks later... nada, my account shows not yet received. My first experience with the trade in program was smooth with credits within about 5 days but now I have reservations about using the program in the future. Yes, I have contacted CS they recommended waiting until Aug. 1 and then get back to them if I have not been credited. A month, really!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 12:57:14 PM PDT
They did this today last week! I am so angry! I never used the book and it comes back with binding broken and the book falling apart!

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 3:36:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2013 3:37:03 PM PST
Milly says:
They are so damn SLOW! My package was delivered last Friday and I still haven't received my credit yet. I want to order something with this credit, but I can't because those "merchants" are such slackers! This will be the last time I'll use this trade-in program.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (595 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2011
Latest post:  22 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions