Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Shop Now HTL
Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Why list books for One Cent

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 379 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 12:54:01 AM PDT
No, that's incorrect. A little research on the USPS website would have shown you that Parcel Post and Media Mail both still exist, and they are not the same thing at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 1:38:30 AM PDT
Mama2girls says:
No. Parcel post is still around and for packages that are not media mail.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 1:48:42 AM PDT
Mama2girls says:
USPS does offer bulk rates! I don't know how a former postal worker could make a mistake and deny it. I sat down with a post office rep to go over the bulk shipping discounts for USPS parcel post last year. I was given a USPS chart showing the bulk discounts by zone, and had to figure the company's approximate shipping volume in order to see what discounts were within a viable range. The USPS rep was very courteous to explain how increased volume would lower costs with USPS, encouraging me to shift Fed-Ex/UPS shipments to USPS parcel post.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 4:41:21 PM PDT
make sure you check the lowest price offered on many many books to see the average occurrence of this because honestly, I haven't found that many for .01 to compete with.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 4:43:53 PM PDT
great idea! I've done the same. And it helps to increase ratings. I don't really believe there is some big sneaky ulterior motive going on here to rip off the general public out of an extra few dollars S&H lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2012 4:45:30 PM PDT
or you could have done your research first. Amazon has been a great place for me to buy and sell all of my school books. Even few for .01 instead of putting them in the landfill.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:02:22 PM PDT
lay off of Robert!! Is that an argument forum or something? I agree with Little Labrador.."parcel post" was the old school term. Doesn't mean Robert is wrong. BOTTOM LINE. I could care less if they offered the book for FREE but charged $200.00 shipping. If you don't want to order it THEN DON"T because the terms and prices are right there in black font on white background!! I'm done reading this kindergarten squabbling.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 5:37:28 PM PDT
S. Kapustka says:
We don't seem to have replies from people who ACTUALLY SELL things for a penny, explaining what they pay. We only have opinions from bystanders (and people like me who LOVE tp buy the inexpensive books).

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 6:35:22 AM PDT
Gina G. says:
I don't know if this is on topic or if anyone else posted this link. but anyway here is the link to the book of the usps postage rates as of Jan 2012.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:02:33 PM PDT
MyBookWorm says:
Without reading anymore of all this arguing I just wanted to mention that Amazon takes a percentage of the $3.99 (example) for shipping credit to you as the seller. I have been selling here since 1998 and this has always ticked me off, but that is what they do. The only way you are going to KNOW why people do it, is to ASK THEM! Go directly to their page individually and write to them. Your all making this so stressful. What? You guys need more stress in your life? Let it GO! LOL

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 5:13:46 PM PDT
who cares about shipping if I pay 4.00 total for a book and its able to be read I dont really care if theres a profit made.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 6:18:07 AM PDT
Wow, you folks sure split hairs.

I would guess a similar logic applies to things like cds as well (cheaper S&H though). The only thing I gamble on when buying used amazon books is the condition...I love the price. If not cheap on amazon I go to used bookstores and purchase similar books for 10 cents or 25 cents or free for that matter!

I just want to read...books!, not billets. If, as a seller you are NOT making it worthwhile then try something else for profit (or whatever).

The impotant thing here (for me) is to enjoy reading. If it works here on amazon such as it does...don't fix it, get over this mundane mystery and move on with your life.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 3:19:12 PM PDT
DrJake says:
I buy a whole bunch of 1 penny books and I have yet to try to sell any of them. I also buy a lot of higher priced used books in an area of interest to me. However, now hat I'm an old geezer and feel the need to simplify, I intend to sell every book I own and get a kindle. Many or maybe most, I will sell for a penny +postage. Why, because I simply can't see them going to the land fill. I'd rather have some younger person get them for 4 bucks total than to see them in the trash.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 4:27:34 PM PDT
When you do sell them you'll run into the problem the rest of us as sellers have been discussing. Amazon fees are so high they don't leave the seller enough money to even pay for the cheapest media mail shipping. Every book you sell for a penny you will hove to dig into your own pocket for postage. So every time I have a book that someone else has listed for a penny,I just donate it. I cannot afford to sell it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 10:58:32 PM PDT
MyBookWorm says:
I don't. I price them for the price I want. Eventually they sell. Especially around Christmas time when all of the penny books run out. You just have to be patient.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 11:02:56 PM PDT
MyBookWorm says:
I sell all of my penny purchases for $5 when I am done reading them. Some books if heavy enough will give you a minus return if you sell them for a penny. If I don't want to keep them, I donate them to the library. They either stock them, or sell them. I get a receipt and use it for taxes as a donation.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 12:50:33 AM PDT
watzizname says:
NaturallyMama: Several times I have ordered two or more books from BetterWorldBooks via Amazon, and have always received my order in a single package. The postage on the whole package has never been as much as $3.99. Postage for a single book when I mail it usually runs a little over two dollars, and I am sure USPS doesn't charge the book wholesalers more than they charge me for the same book, so I am sure Robert has it wrong and you have it right. No, nobody is making a ten dollar profit out of each book shipped for $0.01 + $3.99, but a thousand books shipped each day, with even as little as half a dollar margin average net per book would be $500 per day net income. I am almost sure I could live on that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 7:12:56 AM PDT
NaturallyMama what everyone is missing, seller's do not get $3.99 for postage. Amazon takes most of that back in fees from the seller. I cannot sell books for one cent, and it's not a matter of making a profit. It's that I end up paying out of my pocket to ship a book priced that low. I think this discussion started among sellers to ask why people price books that low when money is lost on each sale. A thousand books a day shipped? Most of us are individuals not businesses. I consider it a good month when I sell maybe 2 or 3 books in a month.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 5:29:03 PM PDT
DrJake says:
OK!!! I'm back!! I've only bought penny books --- and, lots of other used books. Tomorrow, I'm going to pick a couple of books out of my library and try to sell them. keep in touch!!! I'll try to post the straight skinny!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 9:05:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 9:11:03 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
I don't know if anyone has explained this yet, as I could possibly read all nine pages of posts, but I am a former professional bookseller on Amazon and the reason why this occurs is because almost all high-volume sellers use automatic repricing software. This in many cases leads to a chain reaction where the prices "race to the bottom" - this happens among books of which there are a surplus in the marketplace (i.e. books that don't leave seller's inventory fast enough to avoid this repricing). All the repricing is done by programmed algorithms and are only loosely controlled by the bookseller. In addition, many large-scale booksellers see it as too much work to physically locate and remove the $0.01 books from their inventory. Thus, you purchasing them at $0.01 actually does some measure of good for them, as the book location pops up with the order and can be sent out of the inventory.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 9:09:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 27, 2012 9:10:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 9:45:04 AM PDT
C. Odorizzi says:
WELL PUT!!! Nice to see something logical on here for a change!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 11:57:17 AM PDT
Yeah, applaud the post that gives a bunch of wrong info (completely ignoring Media Mail, for a start). That's sure to make you look intelligent.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 6:48:43 PM PDT
cathie c. says:
K. Mays,
You are a good person. Yes, books need to be in circulation. Thank you!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2012 7:35:48 AM PDT
T. V. Bowker says:
Glad to hear you're having fun. I'm laughing a bit myself. This has nothing to do with what "Amazon demands" or the "author's take". The question is aimed at the used books that sell for $.01. You're a funny guy.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (621 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  207
Total posts:  379
Initial post:  Apr 16, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 26, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 45 customers

Search Customer Discussions