Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

i have the same book, but ISBN has different numbers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 9:00:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 3, 2014 9:00:34 AM PDT
I thought you were talking about one of my books -- Maybe who actually made the book had the ISBN, and possible the writer had his own ISBN for the book. That happened to me. I have a page in the Bowker where the ISBN's are done, and when my book was finished, I put mine in my page, and had my own numbers for the book. And the corporation who actually got it together in the book used their own ISBN in a page in my book. It was crazy to me, but there was nothing I could do about it. And now my book is into Amazon & other stores -- and if it was sold, they just gets the money. Terrible. If you look at mine, you can see who gets that money -- See at "Souvenirs in Alaska" by Connie McFadden Tonsgard. Maybe that is one reason you had gotten the two different ISBN's on the book you were talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2014 6:32:26 AM PDT
D. Young says:
I bought the book from a friend of mine who bought it from the university's book store the year before. The book is
Calculus: Early Trancendentals Single Variable
University at Buffalo
7th Edition
By James Stewart

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2014 11:09:00 PM PDT
Where did you get the book? And what is the title?

Posted on Sep 2, 2014 10:58:11 PM PDT
D. Young says:
I have a university specific calculus textbook. I have found websites (including Amazon) where I can buy the textbook with the ISBN number, but when I go to sell the book, every website says the ISBN number doesn't exist. I really want to sell this book, but I can't because I face this issue everywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2014 2:23:30 PM PDT
The ISBN usually is always inside a book -- the first or second page.

Posted on May 17, 2014 10:39:12 AM PDT
Shawn says:
I ordered the the Project Management: The Managerial Process with MS Project (The Mcgraw-Hill Series Operations and Decision Sciences) from Amazon. I tried to trade it in for an Amazon gift card and they told me the ISBN does not match. How can this be if I ordered the book from Amazon, expecting a version with the right ISBN, and then being told it has the wrong ISBN. Again this was ordered from Amazon.
What are my options? Can I get a refund since they sent me a version with a different ISBN?

Posted on Jan 27, 2014 2:54:17 PM PST
ZhiliShao says:
i have the book but only got the ISBN number, and the other identifications of the book are destroyed, can i still sell this book?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 4:51:10 AM PST
Not sure if anyone answered this, but an "exam copy" is a free copy provided by the publisher to a teacher or a department head to determine if they want to use the textbook (most are usually marked "Evaluation Copy", but sometimes are stamped "Exam Copy").

The book was provided for evaluation at no charge, and was not intended by the publisher to be sold. Is it illegal to sell? Probably not. Is it unethical to sell a "free book" for a profit? Probably.

So now you know "what you got".

Posted on Dec 29, 2013 3:17:23 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 29, 2013 3:26:01 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013 4:47:14 PM PDT
Delos says:
Don't worry! : ) You didn't intrude, more that I was concerned you would get a quick or proper response from posting here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013 5:35:07 AM PDT
Lynnie says:
Yes, thank you. I realize now I should have been on Author Central and have since done that. Problem is hopefully getting resolved in that my publisher is uploading all the files, once again, to Ingrams . There was a breakdown somewhere. Sorry to intrude on the wrong post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2013 3:43:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2013 3:44:58 AM PDT
Delos says:
Well, not to sound mean - but this is definitely the wrong place to get it resolved. This particular corner of the forums, I meant. Unfortunately, you've already hit up the couple other answers I would have had - getting a new ISBN, and contacting your publisher to help.

I'm assuming they'll be more people who might have had specific experience with this, who may have advice to lend over on the author central forums:
http://authorcentral.amazon.com

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 8:48:59 AM PDT
Lynnie says:
Does anyone have the answer for this. I am an author -- just did a revision on my book - second edition. Amazon shows the revised book cover - but they do not show that there is a second edition - only showing the original publication date. Someone from FB ordered the book, right around the time my revision was supposed to be up and running - I assumed the timing was right because the book cover showed the change, but they got the first edition -- NOT the second edition. I am concerned because my author manager told me when we were doing the revision that we didn't need to change the ISBN number. Now I am not certain if folks are getting the newly revised book. I ordered a box of 50 from my publisher and mine are OK, from Ingrams, but that may be because my publisher put through the order. I don't know if maybe Amazon and other wholesalers, have a stock and continue to send out what they have -- even though I am supposed to be print by order according to my publisher. Confused to say the least, and my author manager is not answering my email. Grrrrr

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2013 8:09:16 PM PDT
I have the same problem, I bought a STUDENT book (through Amazon) and now I want to sell it back. However, your site says the ISBN number is incorrect. What do I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:44:39 PM PST
I've looked at your book --I don't think the ISBN is so difficult. It is just a lot of money to pay for it. My problem is that mine is so many 100 poems and 100 pretty pictures in it, and the book needs to be in the actual stores so people can look inside of them and read many of the poems and then decide if they want to buy them. Who was the corporation maker? Brooks Cole? Did they tell you they would send them to many cities and stores for you, and then didn't truly do that? That is what happened to me, and I was very angry.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:20:55 PM PST
R. Regalado says:
Hello, I'm having the same problems as I bought this book Differential Equations (with DE Tools Printed Access Card) which contains the book and access code (which I did not use and it is still brand new). I'm trying to sell the book and the access code back but I'm afraid that because the ISBN does not match then they will not buy it and return the book. Is there any way to go about this when selling them the book. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 10:30:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 10:33:03 AM PDT
Barbara says:
If the ISBN#, and the title, edition etc. are right, but especially the ISBN#, then you are fine. It is not uncommon for the Amazon listings to have errors - I have seen the wrong publishing date on more than one occasion. A lot of other sites take their info from Amazon too, so you may see the same error in many places. As far as the publisher goes, there have been mergers, so that could be the reason for a different name. For example, McGraw Hill, Pearson, Prentice Hall and Addison Wesley are all related.

I hope this helps. If the ISBN# matches - you're good. College bookstore cost MORE than buying directly from the publisher (they mark the publisher prices up by 10% or more, typiclally - in my experience at least).
~MommaBear

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 7:22:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 7:25:11 AM PDT
I was trying to buy a book, the title is right, author is right, edition is right but then the copyright and publisher are different so I didn't do it yet. It just might be worth going to the college bookstore and paying a little more but getting the right book. Does it matter if the publisher is different and copyright - ISBN # matches, so it says! frustrating!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 12:05:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 12:07:43 PM PDT
Barbara says:
You should always try to look up books by ISBN#. Amazon's search feature is quite bad when searching by title. I can very rarely find a book I want by title - more often than not, it is a bundle or "value package" that comes up in the search results when entering a title.

Remember, just because you see what LOOKS to be the same book in a different listing with higher prices does NOT mean it IS the same book, or that anyone is actually buying it. Value packages wil have the same picture as the standalone book, but are SUPPOSED to come with additional materials.

Try this - you can find the ISBN# for any book you look up by title by scrolling down part way on the page. Take that ISBN # and enter it on the publisher's website to find out what is different from your book's ISBN#. Amazon does not typically allow duplicate listings, so the ISBN# should be different.

Also, look at the sales rank for the book you entered by ISBN# and the then the one you found by title. The ranking for most current, standalone textbooks should be in the low hundred thousands or less, but value packs or other listings that don't sell much will be in the millions.

You are doing the right thing to list by ISBN#. There can be dozens of listings for any specific textbook when it comes with additional materials - this is probably the listing your friend found, and she will most likely run into problems when she sells her book (IF she even sells it) and the buyer doesn't receive everything they were supposed to for that particular listing.

I hope this helps - reply to this comment if you have any further questions or if you need me to clarify anything. Also, please provide links (or title/ISBN if you don't know how to insert links), and I can tell you what the differences are between your listings.

~MommaBear

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 10:58:20 AM PDT
SueM says:
I just opened an Amazon account and listed all of my books to sell by ISBN. I tried to match up images of covers and made it clear if online access codes were not included. I have been selling books all week and have been pretty happy with the results. I just sold an Art History book today for $14.95. I told a friend and she showed me the exact same book that she would like to sell. She looked it up by title, volume, and edition and came up with entirely different results (and prices) by searching this way. I did a little experiment with a different book -- I searched by title and didn't even find my own listing (remember - it was entered by ISBN). Why are prices higher for identical books listed by title than by ISBN? Shouldn't there be an overlap? What is everyone's preferred method of listing?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 10:49:37 PM PDT
N. Stanton says:
Well, mine had stickers over the bar code and the ISBN but that was actually so that they could sell me an instructor edition disguised as a student edition...kind of shady.

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 2:25:08 PM PDT
Megan Ackley says:
Not sure if anyone else has said this, so sorry if its a repeat. I know both colleges I've attended will put stickers over the original bar code, and hide the ISBN when they buy back books or someone returns a book. This is usually just to scan it in their computers. That's probably why some people have gotten copies with stickers over original ISBN's

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 3:29:05 PM PDT
Barbara says:
To answer your question directly, Jessica, it may or may not matter - I can't tell without more information. It really depends on what you need, and what listing it is that you've found. You might just be looking at a different format, or you might get extra materials - materials that you don't need. However, it's also possible that you won't get everything that you need. For example, if you're supposed to get a value package but the listing you found is of a book only. I suggest you try contacting your instructor to find out the ISBN#/exactly what you need for class. 

Since many people do not care to read detailed information here is a summary of my detailed explanation above:
A book that appears to be the same book as the one that's being searched for, but it has a different ISBN could be because:
1. It is a different format (i.e. hardcover vs. paperback or looseleaf).
2. It is a value package and the book being searched for is a standalone textbook, or vice versa. There can be dozens of different ISBN#s all related to the same text.

Same thing goes for trade-ins. 

Also, the reason you don't always get the ISBN# that you think you should is because:
When you buy a value package, the only place that ISBN# is printed on is on a label. Sometimes it gets put on the back of the book, but often it gets thrown out with the shrinkwrap. A value package ISBN# just means you are getting two or more items, each with their own ISBN#.

Alright, enough for now. Good luck everyone. 
~MommaBear

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 3:19:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 3:27:04 PM PDT
Barbara says:
Here is some information to clarify things a little bit. When a textbook is published, each format is (usually) given a different ISBN#. So there could be a hardcover, a softcover and a loose leaf - all with the same content, but all having different ISBN#'s. That's one possibility for people finding what they think is the same book, but having a different ISBN#.

Then we have what is known as "supplemental materials". These are things like workbooks, computer access codes, solution manuals and CD/DVD sets, to name a few. Each supplement also has its own individual ISBN#. These supplements come into the picture when the publishers create "bundles", or "value packages". These value packs are made up of one format of the text and one or more supplements. EACH VALUE PACK IS THEN ASSIGNED ITS OWN - A NEW & DIFFERENT - ISBN#. This does not mean that the textbooks themselves will be printed with a bunch of different ISBN#s, though. The only thing printed with a value pack ISBN# is a label. Often, the publishers place the ISBN# label on the outside of the shrinkwrap. However, many book resellers and some students will place the label over top of the book's ISBN# on the back cover. Here's why this comes into play with trade-ins. Say a student receives a value package, they open it up an throw away the shrink wrap & label. They then would have two items with different ISBN#s than the item they bought. When they try to go trade it in under the same ISBN# they bought it as, it is rejected because the ISBN# on the back of the book doesn't match. This is a frequent problem. 

There are many possible combinations of value packages, as you can imagine. For just one edition of a textbook, there can be DOZENS of different ISBN#s related to it. In addition, the picture shown is usually just of the book, and often the same picture is for different bindings and different value packs.  This is another reason why students often find what they think is the right book, but it has a different ISBN#. I have noticed when searching on Amazon, very often the value packages of a book will be the first - and sometimes only - search result. Quite often, the textbook alone won't come up in the search results at all. When this happens, the only way I have been able to find a standalone textbook was by going to the listing for one of its value packages, and then scrolling down to see what other people viewed or bought after looking at that page. All of this is why I always strongly suggest that students search for their book by ISBN#, and to check with their instructor whenever possible - to verify exactly what is needed for class so they get the right book and don't end up buying unneeded supplements (which happens A LOT).

I hope this information makes sense and helps at least a few people. I could give quite a bit more detail about all of this, but my comment is already too long. If anyone needs clarification of something I said, try posting a comment here - I will try to check back and address any questions (but no promises). 
~MommaBear

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 9:30:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 12, 2012 9:35:28 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (599 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2011
Latest post:  19 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions