Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Recents problems with Amazon's trade in program

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 83 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 7:34:03 PM PDT
D. Rangere says:
Amazon is not buying your books. NORAM Partners is buying your books and advertising the service through Amazon. It takes time to process the books including checking condition. I would think many people using the service for the first time don't look to see what "good condition" means or don't include the packing slip, etc. which would slow the process down for those who follow instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 3:38:58 AM PDT
V. Rio says:
There is a tab for add another book. It might be hard to see but it is there.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 3:46:25 AM PDT
V. Rio says:
I have to say I have never had any problems. It takes a week or so but think how many people are sending in books that have to be verified. If the book is bad you won't get credit for it. I have never actually never experienced this myself. I have traded in about a thousand dollars worth over my school career. I will continue to use this service and suggest to people too as well. Most of the post above I bet are ieher impatient, misrepresented, or simply complaining because they feel like they can. I love amazon, and the buy back program. I am such a fan I buy most of my personal items from pens and t shirts to tvs.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:12:45 PM PDT
I sent 2 separate trade-ins on the same day, and they've both been delivered. Only received credit for the one; haven't heard from the other one. Also, it seems as if the trade-in books can vary - one day they are available for trade-in, the next day, they aren't.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 7:22:05 PM PDT
Carlos Duran says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 1:09:35 PM PDT
Bonals says:
I have been doing trade ins on textbooks and dvds for nearly two years. My usual wait time is roughly a day and a half. I recently decided to join the amazon prime program and my first trade in since joining has gone so far 4 + days since being delivered with no credit. I contacted amazon to try and figure out what was going on and have been told everything that my package is everywhere from not yet delivered to at amazon receiving to being looked at for trade all by the same person. It seems as though amazon has no clue what is going on. They say they can't do anything for 30 days. We will see.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 10:55:37 PM PDT
Young M Yoo says:
amazon posted the $$$ will be credit in two business days and so far the status still shows "not yet received" however usps tracking shows that amazon has received 4 days ago....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 9:51:15 AM PDT
I have used the trade-in-service a few times and have noticed that there is a delay with crediting. However, my biggest problem has been that 2 of my trade-ins have been rejected due to an "unacceptable" condition due to wear on binding or pages. My problem is that this is the exact condition that I originally purchased the text books myself. Therefore, I am left with the thought that I have been sold "unacceptable" text books for the price of "Accetable" or "Good". I am now left with question of whether I can still seel the text books as "acceptable" or "good"? Any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 1:11:21 AM PDT
YoDi says:
My four books were shipped August 30th. When trying to track the package, there is no input after September 10th. I'll give it a couple more days since this is my first time.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 1:03:47 PM PDT
Stacy Harp says:
I sent two boxes on Aug. 25th and one of them still shows they have not received it and it is Sept. 15th....a few more days and it will be a whole month.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 1:10:31 PM PDT
MommaNuch says:
I have used the trade in program @ Amazon several times and have been pleasantly surprised in the past. However, recently I have either noticed a serious decrease in the amount of money offered to me for selling back a book, or I was insultingly offered an absurd amount ( $.25, $.10,$.01)! One of the books on Amazon's own website was listed for sale @ $92.50 (USED!) and I was offered $.00! For the first time I looked to other sites (eaglesaver.com and bookbytes.com) to sell our books . I was able to find a buyer for 7 books AMAZOM had indicated were worth "nil", for a total of $160.00 (shipping to the vender was free/"@ their expense like with AMAZON). This has gotten me thinking, so please read on..................
Last month I ordered for the first time from wag.com, which I found out was owned by Amazon (as was soap.com, who I had been enjoying ordering from for the past year). It took an entire month and about 10 e-mails for me to get the dog food I was supposed to receive overnight....NO KIDDING! The way it drug on was preposterous to the point of being almost comical, except that we had been in need of dog food...since the beginning of the month)! I was so frustrated with their ridiculous antics that I don't know if I will reorder from them again despite their attempts to keep me as a customer (they gave me a $10.00 credit and complete credited the entire amount of the order in question). I was out of dog food, so save my hubby going out to buy it, I ordered online to receive the next day....what a joke! I AM HOPING AMAZON HAS NOT SPREAD THEMSELVES TOO THIN, BY EXPANDING THEIR HORIZON TO OTHER BUSINESSES (SOAP.COM, WAG.COM, ETC.) WITHOUT THE ADEQUATE MANPOWER TO SUPPORT IT (WHICH HAPPENS FREQUENTLY WITH BUSINESS THAT DO REALLY WELL). AMAZON HAS LITERALLY MADE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS OFF OUR FAMILY BECAUSE I BECAME PHSICALLY DISABLED AND BEGAN TO SHOP VIA THE INTERNET ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY, INSTEAD OF SLEPPING IT TO EACH ESTABLISHMENT WHERE I'D SHOPPED PREVIOUSLY. UP UNTIL NOW I HAVE FELT SO VERY BLESSED TO STILL BE ABLE TO SHOP FROM HOME, BECAUSE MY HUBBY LOATHES IT, BUT I AM NOT SURE HOW TO PUT WHAT I FEEL INTO WORDS AT THIS TIME...EXCEPT TO SAY I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED, FOR SURE!
RESPECTFULLY, M. VANUCCI 09/15/11

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 1:33:50 PM PDT
K. Hemmer says:
I have traded several books since the trade-in started.I had trouble with three books not received.I contacted Amazon.
I do save print outs of all business I do.Plus the no. of the account.Amazon will help if the know you shipped it very early
and no response for weeks.I have been re-imbursed the credit I deserved.However, like any new program there are kinks
to work out.I am going to continue using...It pays better than a store I used for selling used books in my city.The shipping is
free making it easy.Also,like others I send only one package never more.That was how my mix-ups occured.kathehemmer2

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 2:14:18 PM PDT
Good post. You know, that really is a problem: someone on receiving end damaging the item and you get screwed because you not only don't get cash back, but you can no longer sell it for any amount of money, AND we have to pay to have it returned to us? Absolutely doesn't make sense since we have no control over the item once it leaves our hands. I can however, understand that we're on the honor system when we tell them it's in good or excellent condition. It's a pain in the rear, but as I said in another thread, I'll either scan or take a pic of the item before I box it and include a copy in with it. Don't know if that would help, but it's worth the effort if I have to pay to have something returned to me that was either ruined by them, or substituted by them. argh.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 12:37:41 PM PDT
go to help and do chatting they will give you credit ask them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 1:20:49 PM PDT
Stacy Harp says:
I actually did that Krishna and they gave me credit for one thing. However, I am still waiting for a box I sent on Aug. 25th to get credit and so far, even as of today, it has not been checked in. Supposedly it hasn't showed up, yet the other box I sent on the same day, and two other boxes I sent on other days, have already been processed. They told me I have to wait until Sept. 25th before they will hunt it down and try to figure out where it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 2:46:20 AM PDT
MommaNuch says:
EExact same thing 4 me,,what gives?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2011 2:50:49 AM PDT
MommaNuch says:
I agree n may do the individual thing next time too. Of the 232 dollars I should get I only got 160...will I get the rest?

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 3:00:07 AM PDT
MommaNuch says:
Log on to your account profile and go down to gift Care balance on the right and it will show credit for portion checked in.You can also search for buy back program once you log in and be taken to your original invoice to learn the status.

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 9:15:45 AM PDT
cippy says:
Sold 2 books back. First book tranaction went very fast. The 2nd, a bit longer, but worth the wait. The 2 texts cost me a fortune & I did receive a very nice credit back from Amazon for them....and my college bookstore offered nothing, with the old excuse that professors were using different texts. Recommend this program; it's convenient & worth any additional waiting time.

Posted on Sep 24, 2011 1:34:06 AM PDT
C.T. says:
I sent two boxes (4 books total) at least three weeks ago and they said it hasn't been received. Won't be doing this again and will explore options elsewhere.........

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2011 11:33:54 AM PDT
Ross Jordan says:
They sent 1 of the books back for a bad binding but it's fine and I specified not to return if the book was no good. I was hoping to use this service since it's much easier than selling them myself. Not sure if I'll be doing this again.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 6:08:51 PM PDT
Grace Lynn says:
I just do not understand the value of the textbook trade in program. I have had more success, and better monetary return, listing the book for sale as a seller. If I list it near or at the bottom of the asking price, maintain a great rating, and expect to sell it in late August/September or January, most everything seems to sell. Maybe it is because you are guaranteed money back?

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 5:43:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 14, 2011 6:01:04 PM PDT
i posted this in the other forum. take note as i hope this helps...
amazon's book buy back program is a scam, yes i sent my book ,that i bought from them in good condition, and never used it and sold it back in the same condition. The book was returned to me, binding ripped apart. in short they did not want to pay me what they qouted me. I put the option to send my book back, if you send anything to them, they will destroy it and send it back , or lowball you and give you nothing for it. Yes I got a credit for it. but the company that is doing their book buyback is a scam!

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 2:13:00 PM PDT
I've been a long-time loyal customer to Amazon, but this was the first time I've used the buy back program. They determined that my book had "binding damage" and was sent back to me. It didn't have any binding damage when I sent it out. Since this is an expensive statistics book, I'm hopeful that I'll be able to sell it on my own, but it is now in worse condition than when I sent it to the vendor. I'm pretty disappointed with this service. Perhaps Amazon should be a little more careful when selecting 3rd party vendors. The only two negative experiences I have had with Amazon (over a span of many years) were due to 3rd party vendors...

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 2:44:30 AM PDT
Suzanne says:
Amazon received my order (three books in one package) on a Tuesday and I was credited the proper amount three days later. This was my first time using this program, so I am very happy with it based on this experience.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (597 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions