Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS
Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

What's with the really HIGH prices by some used book sellers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 346 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2016 9:41:36 AM PDT
Lois B. says:
Sometimes it pays to just bite the bullet and join Prime. Over the course of a year you will get your money's worth esp when you consider the free movies and free music. It is not unreasonable of Amazon to want to foster some sort of a commitment from consumers in order to benefit most from the savings. I do virtually all of my shopping on Prime - the only thing I buy elsewhere is an item which Amazon simply does not carry (and that is not many). I found that the non-prime merchandise is cheaper for the same item but when you add in the shipping, it is no longer so. Why are you resisting becoming a Prime member. I have been a Prime member for as long as they offered the service (going back decades) and I have always felt I get good value over the long run for the money spent.

Posted on Apr 9, 2016 2:21:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 9, 2016 2:25:22 PM PDT
Suree says:
I am an avid amazon.com shopper, but now I have to stop and think do I want to continue shopping at Amazon.com, due to some recent changes such as price limit going up from $35 to $49 to qualify for free shipping, lot of products I am interested in are only available for prime members, and the products are so high priced compare to what I have found at some other stores. I was looking for alternative online stores, and I came across Jet.com, so to test the prices I added identical items to my cart at both Amazon.com, and Jet.com, and to my surprise the difference was huge. Amazon.com total was $83.22, and jet.com was $36.58. Now, all I have to do is a little research on this new online store I have found to make sure it's not some sort of scam, but after that I think I will switch. It's going to be difficult, because to be honest I enjoy shopping at http://amazon.com, I've it's loyal customer since 2007, but it has been disappointing how it's changing and pushing people to become prime member, and making it difficult for customers who are not opt to be part of prime.

Posted on Mar 28, 2016 6:34:41 AM PDT
Ray says:
Amazon prices have been rising in the past year. I stopped buying from amazon when i noticed their prime prices were higher to cover free shipping costs.

Posted on Mar 20, 2016 5:46:38 AM PDT
Joy Truscott says:
I nearly jumped out my socks seeing my book listed in the USED sales for $319.49 when my book is only listed at $7.88. Surely this is not good for Amazon as a company as it seems to reflect on the book and author. Is there anyway of getting those USED sales off my book's sales page? Joy Truscott (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1500157104/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=)
I absolutely do not wish for some person to get ripped off with a one-click purchase like this!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2016 9:42:21 AM PST
CMCM says:
Here's an interesting twist on things. I was going to buy a leather iPhone cover, and I went to the manufacturer's website. On their site you could order it, but the price was $450 or some such. They had a link to Amazon, and obviously they wanted you to buy the item on Amazon rather than them directly. On Amazon, the price was $15 or some such. I'm wondering if some outfits do this because they want all buying traffic to be directed to Amazon for the actual shipping, but somehow their website price (to discourage buyers from buying there) got on Amazon in error. But who really knows....

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 3:43:30 PM PST
Vince C. says:
Money laundering is possible. Sadly a lot of sellers are taking advantage of the mentally disabled, and senior citizens who have money but slowly losing their mind. They think if they keep scrolling they are getting a better deal. This is sad. Amazon should be ashamed for not having a 300% cap on prices based on the lowest price. A close relative was a victim of this. Luckily I picked up on it and had them return it before the 30 return period. The seller wasn't nice but I filed an A to z claim and the money returned. The Item was listed at 22 dollars and ironically the seller sold it for 222. See how an elderly person could be confused. Spread the word and the awareness please.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2015 9:24:03 PM PST
Terry Lucas says:
Something else has to be going on. I am a poet with a chapbook selling from the publisher for $6 and on Amazon from a couple of bookstores for $399--this is for a saddle-stitched (without spine), 40 pp. book of poems. And some bookstores claimed to have used copies the first day it was published. How did they do that?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2015 9:21:29 PM PST
Terry Lucas says:
What's really strange is that I'm a poet and I have a chapbook (40pp), that is just saddle-stitched, that sells for $6.00 on the publisher's webiste, that a couple of bookstores have prices of $300-400 on. I can't imagine what is going on here. This began from the first day it was published and they claim to have used copies, which I don't know how they got so quickly. Really weird!

Posted on Nov 27, 2015 12:43:14 PM PST
CMCM says:
I don't think it's that something is wrong with these people. It's downright strange, but it has to be that something else is going on. It would be interesting to put the question to some big poobah at amazon, not that we'd ever get an answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2015 11:31:20 AM PST
Some of them are beyond outrageous. I was checking on a book called The Hyde Effect by Steve Vance. A brand new copy is about twenty bucks. Trying to save some cash I decided to have a look at the used ones...and nearly had a coronary. The exact same edition, used, is $2,419.90! And there's seven more sellers with similar prices! I mean I could understand if it was a super rare edition that was a collector's item. Nope. No frills trade paperback! For that price it had better be signed and bound in werewolf skin, inked in the author's blood and have the ability to go out at night and hunt your enemies!

Good lord, Cthulhu, what's wrong with these people?!

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 10:38:44 PM PST
Jay Franklin says:
This one stumps me: "only 20 in stock, more on the way" it says but price is silly high. A fairly new book.

The Consolation of Boethius as Poetic Liturgy (Oxford Early Christian Studies)

I just don't get it.

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 6:10:09 AM PST
Take a look at this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Graffiti-Schacter-Rafael-Hardcover/dp/B00YDKAHGA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1447336998&sr=8-5&keywords=the+world+atlas+of+street+art

It is £6,095.20 that is about $9,500

They must be joking lol....

Posted on Oct 21, 2015 12:52:05 PM PDT
theolddog says:
Most smaller booksellers rely upon Amazon pricing to help cost their goods. This includes comparison websites; online companies who purchase second hand books e.g. Ziffit, Fat-Brain etc; and also other merely informative sites which act as an aid say to College students please see link http://www.unilist.co.uk. It goes without saying that many of these sites benefit from higher prices to increase profits. The Algorithm's they use can be tricked into producing a significantly different outcome depending on the individual circumstances present. For example I had been trying to sell a second hand book to a buy-back company but the price they quoted me was disappointing at only just over £1. Upon checking the book via the Amazon website I discovered that the item was out of stock. Mischievously I listed my book for sale on Amazon at a price of £100. The next day I checked the buy-back site but there was no change in their offer price for the book, however, I checked again the following day and the offer price had risen to £7, which, of course I gratefully accepted. Now I'm just an ordinary Joe who managed to engineer an increase in the sale price of my book by seven-fold it's original value. Price manipulation by companies who have the time and software available to them must play factor in the high-price conundrum.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2015 4:30:57 PM PDT
Ms. Shawn says:
I totally agree with "ISold It" and possibly "Vern Heflin's" responses. I don't see money laundering or trying to trick a customer. The internet division of the FBI has been all over online money laundering for years. They surely know to look for suspects on Amazon and Ebay. Customers who accidentally make a click error purchase can return the item or use buyer protection to cancel the order. In most cases it's a software algorithm that has gone wrong; OR, there are certain [first-edition] books whose value dramatically increases because of rarity, popularity, a second-edition release, or the author receives some unusual notoriety. Some books [not textbooks] become like priceless pieces of art when the author dies. For instance, I'd give anything for a first edition Mark Twain novel. Folks who have first edition Harry Potter or Hunger Games books should hold on to them for sure!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2015 11:22:02 AM PDT
Chad Freeman says:
I think something more nefarious is going on...easy way to send someone large sums of money without anyone noticing what is going on.

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 4:30:21 AM PDT
Jonathan B. says:
Money laundering. Plain as day.

Posted on Sep 8, 2015 6:00:47 AM PDT
L. Gordon says:
I think some sellers up the price when they have no or low stock in order to keep their listing... They assume no one will try to buy a doll or book at 500 dollars but it keeps their storefronts or shops looking full...

Posted on Aug 31, 2015 2:58:20 AM PDT
D. Marois says:
I blame Amazon for this. They have draconian commenting rules yet they keep doing business with these ridiculous resellers. Until I read this thread I thought the worst I had seen was an acoustic guitar selling for 5 times what I could buy if for locally - PLUS a shipping charge of $100+! Now I realize that was nothing special! :-) I guess it really is buyer beware!! I often wonder if some people do buy these products. Maybe rich people who REALLY want something and can't find it anywhere else.

Posted on Aug 30, 2015 5:07:07 AM PDT
Lake says:
This phenomenon is not restricted to books and toys. I wonder about the use of Amazon for laundering money. As long as a seller does a reasonable volume of legitimate sales, he can move money around with a few of these strange postings. If someone other than the intended buyer contacts him about the item, he can just say "it's out of stock." A $23 million dollar book will attract attention. But a $20 light bulb sold to a select buyer for $250 can fly under the radar. I'm not speaking from experience. I've never bought one of these oddly priced items nor sold anything on Amazon. But it's plausible that these listings are intended to mask illegitimate transactions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2015 11:43:45 PM PDT
Tim says:
Yes I agree that some of the midrange pricing is because of that, but a large percentage of decent 1950-1980 non-fiction books with more than 10 sellers have prices that are way above ANY price that book EVER could have sold for. Not a small percentage, we're talking 20-25% of all book listings for older non-fiction books with a significant amount of sellers (10 and up) has at least one, usually multiple listings, that are well beyond any price the book could ever have sold for.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2015 11:38:04 PM PDT
Tim says:
That's great for the buyer, but this is a seller's forum and I can list 250 books on ebay and maybe....maybe sell 5 over the next 2 weeks or I can increase that price by 20% or more...list on amazon and sell a minimum of 30 of those books over the same time frame. For a bookseller ebay isn't even in the same league as amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2015 11:33:24 PM PDT
Tim says:
If you listed a book for 30.00 and sold it Amazon would get 5.85, then even if it weighed say 4lbs....which is heavy, even for a textbook, you would receive approx.. 19.85 for the book. Amazon does charge an extremely high commision for books, but they also can sell upwards of 20 times the books any other site can. It is not the place to sell your old college textbooks I'll give you that, it is the place to build a large online bookstore.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2015 11:15:34 PM PDT
Tim says:
I agree wholeheartedly, but I see seller's w/ 15,000 feedback responses in the last 12 months and every single book they are selling is overpriced, and 95% of their feedback is about books....here's a good example....http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_5?ie=UTF8&asin=0910627681&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=ASYDZOX0HKBSE

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2015 6:09:24 AM PDT
Money laundering or possibly way of I raising the value of one's inventory for raising capital ( ie as potential security against a loan). Btw this is all guesswork, but it's intriguing all the same

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2015 6:37:08 AM PST
J. Hamlet says:
I agree with your thoughts on this topic. As a lot of us have noted, this outrageous overpricing is going on and it has nothing to do with a free market. let's just ask ourselves a simple question - when someone hits 'buy' an amount of money is transferred from one person's account to a seller's account. A transaction then goes on (or does it?) but there is no audit trail to show what actually got sent where (or not). It's just another case of the internet being used in a way Amazon or other on-line shops never intended it to be used.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (627 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  205
Total posts:  346
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2011
Latest post:  20 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions