Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

What's with the really HIGH prices by some used book sellers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 303 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 5:53:57 AM PDT
A. E. Nugent says:
Yes, I agree. The same weirdness is going on on e-Bay.. stupid things worth... maybe $10-$20 tops are listed in the thousands!! I ask and get no reply. Money laundering??? Is it some way of getting buyer attention? I would love to know too!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 5:58:15 AM PDT
A. E. Nugent says:
I am a first time author, so I watch my book... it is NEW, the first day it was on, they were offering "Used" copies and some place in Canada was offering it for $800! Crazy! I asked Amazon, the seller and my publisher, with no satisfactory answer. Are there any sellers looking at this discussion... can you possibly tell us??? Very curious.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 6:43:51 AM PDT
Hmmmm, I wonder if they (sellers) are getting book from the printers(???) have anyone looked into that?

Howfever I've been told, by one seller (that responded) that they sometime acquire books from liberies, bookstores and families of deceased.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 9:48:37 AM PDT
As of this date; 9-17-2012
I, Curtis J. Morrow, aka "Kojo-Achampong" the author of MY SANKOFA, no longer publishes it (MY SANKOFA) as a hard copies, only in the form of KINDLE BOOKS.. And I have no knowledge or connection with so called SELLERS.

Henceforth I am publishing only in KINDLE Book forms.

My Listed Kindle Books.

1. Abo-Atia: (an African picture folktale)

ABO-ATIA "Little-People:

And its children's proof, entertaining and very enlightening for children of all ages.

2. I've also republishes; MY SANKOFA, as a Kindle E-book, see details below:
My Sankofa

3. And a photo-journal of our two day visit in Rio De Janeiro, where my partner and I, begun a 16 days cruise around South America, which ended in Santiago Chile.
Brazil and Christ The Redeemer, Statue. (Two Days In Rio De Janeiro Book 1)

Enjoy & be Inspired.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 5:17:14 PM PDT
Rachel Bell says:
it's secret code for CIA types the titles, the locations, the numbers.....yep

Posted on Sep 17, 2012 9:16:11 PM PDT
richard says:
This conversation is getting strange.

NPR needs to look into this.
They've investigated stranger stuff than this.

Whether there is a bunch of reasons or just one, this is happening for some reason(s).
The Gutenberg bible I could understand.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 4:34:09 PM PDT
JT says:
I sold a first edition signed book for over $100. But it was a collectors item in mint condition. There are people who just jack up the price hoping some sucker will buy it. I don't think its a re-listing thing, because you can easily re-list an item with Amazon's tools.

Posted on Sep 19, 2012 8:14:10 PM PDT
Ed Thorne says:
Excellent discussion - It's kind of a sad commentary, just about every book has a ridiculous range. At first I thought it was placeholding for books the seller didn't have, but the dirty money transfer seems good too. But now so MANY of them! I'd like to think it is the autobot's fault. Probably a mix of these. Amazon should not be a part of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 4:58:11 AM PDT
A. E. Nugent says:
Funny... there could be a book in this!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 5:45:15 AM PDT
richard says:
We should all collaborate on it. ... as was done on The Naked Lunch.
That would get some attention.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 5:58:41 AM PDT
richard says:
Two pages apiece and we would have a book.
Four pages apiece and we would have its sequel.
Six pages apiece and we would have a trilogy.
Eight pages a piece and we would have a series.
Ten or more pages apiece and we would have a media phenomenon.
Yes! ... an emergent property of a complex system!
We could organize an annual satirical convention.
Too bad Oprah is off the air.
We could well have been interviewed all at once!
(sigh)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 8:10:15 PM PDT
lotus says:
It's probably some variation of money laundering or tax scam.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 8:53:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 8:54:05 PM PDT
L.S. says:
What I really love is when on Ebay you see used books in "good" condition with a price that is higher then the original full purchase price of the book. Nothing special noted about the book, not a signed copy or the like. Just a plain used book that is available new here on Amazon. Not even an out of print book. Now, I find that even more amusing when I see people have actually bid on them. *sigh* Here's your sign.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:55:59 AM PDT
The telling fact is when the book is listed ONLY AFTER the sale is in place. ..eg. the "buyer" contacts the "seller" with the money to be transferred. The "seller" lists the book and immediately it is "sold." No bids, no questions, no problem. Though the money must have moved, that info cannot always be determined, however, I truly doubt that a "seller" would pay the amazon fees if he wasn't sure the money would be going through the system. I reported this behavior to the FBI over 10 years ago. Either they are well aware and watching, or they don't care.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 9:41:33 AM PDT
Or the seller's spouse is NOT a bibliophile, and has issued an ultimatum, prompting the offer to sell the Very Valuable Collection... Then, the high pricing would ensure that the books never leave their shelves! Haha

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 7:38:14 PM PDT
So true

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 7:41:16 PM PDT
So True

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 4:01:42 AM PDT
yet kindle doesn't solve anything... you aren't able to sell back a novel at a used book seller to recoup a part of the price, you can't give it to a friend, and today i found many e-books selling for a couple of bucks less than the paperbacks at amazon(and eligable for free shipping, too!!!)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 4:21:04 AM PDT
good summation, Jay C, which is what this thread needs, every so often...but cash laundering should not be left out entirely, it seems too reasonable a speculation...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:41:39 AM PDT
Low-volume sellers can't compete with high-volume sellers the way the system is set up. As a result, the only way for anyone besides Amazon to make any money is to "scam" the customer and charge a huge amount of money for the item. As Betsey Clark points out, some folks really will pay that. Some years ago I used to bid printing jobs. We'd sometimes deliberately bid really high on a job, because we really didn't want the job, but if we DID get it, at least we'd make some money from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:45:42 AM PDT
For what it's worth, in your dashboard as an Amazon Marketplace seller, you can with one click make a listing "inactive," so you wouldn't have to "relist" it. So that probably isn't it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:52:53 AM PDT
Honestly, Amazon is a really bad deal for selling textbooks. You'd almost be better off using the "book buy-back" folks at your school's bookstore. It seems kinda a rip-off, when you consider they may only pay you 15-20% of the cost of the book, and the next week, you may see it IN the bookstore marked "used" for 70% of the new price, but by the time Amazon finishes charging 'fees' and such, you may actually LOSE money trying to sell it on Amazon. Only high-volume book wholesalers can make any money on Amazon, and it's because of the small margin where the "shipping credit" works out to a little bit more than the actual shipping cost.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:54:59 AM PDT
I agree. I hardly ever sell any books with Amazon now. If the shipping credit is $3.99 and the media mail shipping cost is $3.50 and the mailer costs 50˘, then Amazon charges a "listing fee," a "closing fee," and a sales commission, how is anyone except Amazon supposed to make any money on this deal?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 9:56:18 AM PDT
I used to bid printing jobs for a living. If we really didn't want a job (say, we were busy and taking that job would incur overtime labor and whatnot) I'd bit it really high. We probably wouldn't get the job, but if we DID get the job, at least we would make money on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:01:07 AM PDT
@John; So what about publishing your books as KINDLE? Should'd that be better? I have, even though I haven't made any money as of yet, but it haven't costed me anything either.. Personally I think kindles is the future for books.. And a good way to get around those SELLERS.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (595 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  175
Total posts:  303
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2011
Latest post:  8 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions