Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Recents problems with Amazon's trade in program

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 95 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 13, 2016 7:42:55 PM PDT
So being new to this trade in program, how long does it usually take for them to process a transaction? The amount of negative posts on here is starting to make me regret selling to Amazon...

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2016 7:32:22 PM PDT
Hello,

I am currently having the same issue! Was your problem ever resolved? If so, how?

Posted on Apr 8, 2016 9:39:13 AM PDT
Mary C. says:
I've used Amazon's Trade-in Program before to really good experiences. This time though, it was the worst experience ever. First off, they said that some of my books were the wrong book, even though the ISBN were the exact same. Then they said some were unacceptable due to damage that did not exist on the books. The books were in prime condition, but they said the bindings were damaged and there was water damage. Then they didn't accept some DVDs because they claimed the discs were copies. They were the original discs. Then they didn't accept a game because the game wasn't the right game. Even though it was. Total ripoff. Took my estimate from $103 to $10.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2015 8:32:54 AM PST
jrus79 says:
so true, i sent them a brand new iphone 6 128gb out of the box and they determined it was "acceptable" only- that reduced my reimbursement from $503 to $320. Total ripoff, will never use again and their customer service is worthless.

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 9:27:18 AM PDT
SR Jones says:
I've used this program in the past with no issues or delays and was very happy with it. However, the last time I used them they took weeks after the books were shown as received to process the trade-in. Now, I went ahead and took a chance on them again, and the books tracking says they are delivered and Amazon is saying they aren't. Looks like it will be another several weeks experience, when according to them it's supposed to be a couple days. I'm beginning to think using the college buyback program would be a lot better option. Amazon is going the route of Toyota, relying on reputation alone to keep customers while severely lacking in the quality of their services.

Posted on Jul 2, 2015 7:24:14 AM PDT
I am SO angry at myself for not researching Amazon's trade in program BEFORE i sent then my iPhone 4s. i've been in the "processing" stage for over two weeks now. i feel like Amazon used my trust in them against me, and have basically stuck me up for my phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2015 10:40:26 AM PDT
same thing happened to me. I sent 8 books and they supposedly received 2 but all 8 books were in the same box!!!!! The others are in transit as well????

Posted on Jun 17, 2015 2:57:33 PM PDT
Supasteve says:
I sent in some old school books I don't need anymore UPS said the package was delivered June 11 as of the time I'm writing this it is June 17 and Amazon still says it is Transit/Have not received. I'm very doubtful I'll use Amazon's trade-in program again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2015 9:12:51 AM PST
damien glenn says:
I have. Amazon received my items on monday, two seperate packages for different items I'd sent in, one of those packages has been "In process" since the 27th when it arrived(the 29th presently) and the other item lists as "in transit" even though UPS lists the item having been delivered alongside the other box.

I too have used Amazon's trade in program for several years and it seems like they're over run right now for whatever reason. The items were delivered to PA so it's possible that the weather might have slowed/stopped their processing in general.

Here's hoping this isn't an ongoing problem.

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 11:03:32 PM PST
I mailed 7 books for trade-in on Jan. 8, 2015. As of today Amazon shows they have not received them, however the USPS tracking # shows that my package was delivered on Jan. 16,2015. I called customer service two days ago because I was concerned that the status showed not yet received and the customer service rep informed me that it would be two more weeks and they haven't received them, that the USPS just puts that they delivered the package but they didn't. I called again tonight and this customer service rep told me that even though my status on Amazon shows not received, they have actually received the package and it would be another week before I got any credit. I asked her to point out in the terms and conditions where it said it would take two weeks after receipt. I read the terms and conditions and it said two business days. The customer service rep could not point out where it said two weeks in the terms and conditions and just ignored the question.

I will never do this again and am seriously considering not buying anything from Amazon again. Wish me luck on receiving my credit.

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 3:12:21 PM PST
Munz says:
The trade-in program is a total scam!!! They downgrade your equipment as to how they feel like and give you peanuts then sell your stuff for 300% margin! Corporate theft!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2014 3:14:23 PM PST
D. Sommer says:
Easybooks,
I am having the same problem. I sent a book and 2 pkg's of cd's. I was credited for the book, but they never processed the 2 pkg's of cd's. I have called 4 times prior and am currently on the phone (on-hold).

This is terrible customer service, and theft!!

Posted on Jun 20, 2014 1:15:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2014 3:16:02 PM PDT
BDSO says:
Prior to June 2013, I submitted multiple textbook buybacks. Credits were always issued within a few days after they received the books. Since June 2013, I have submitted 3 textbooks in the buyback program and there has been nothing but problems with Amazon customer service -- incompetency and misinformation, excuses, and more delays. Case in point.

Early this year, I submitted a textbook for buyback. They received the book, but credit wasn't issued so I contacted Amazon customer service via online chat. For over 50 minutes, the customer service agent kept delaying and putting me off so he could handle other chats. I finally called him out and told him I was using a video recorder to capture the chat dialogue, which really rattled him. It was clear that he was in over his head and he didn't know how to handle the issue. By the end of the chat, it was apparent that he had led me on the entire time because he finally backtracked on everything he told me, and then he terminated the chat - apparently scared from the fallout and pr nightmare he'd created. I ended up filing a complaint online and I also sent a detailed email of the events, including the screen shots I captured from the chat dialogue, to the executive ranks at Amazon. Within 36 hours, Amazon forced the customer service agent to send me a written apology, and full credit for the textbook I submitted was issued along with a nominal promotional credit for by bad experience.

Now virtually the same things are recurring with 2 more textbooks I submitted for buyback. Both ISBN numbers were verified before I submitted the trade-in, and both books are in nearly new/excellent condition without any markings, damage, etc. so there's no reason why credit should be denied. Today I when I contacted Amazon customer service I was told that they have 30 days to issue credit for buybacks, which is false. Credits are supposed to be issued within 10 business days. Then Amazon customer service told me they haven't received my shipment, yet the USPS tracking number shows my parcel was indeed delivered to them. I suggested that the customer service agent look up the tracking number on the USPS website, and she said the USPS tracking info was not reliable. The customer service agent didn't have any definitive proof that the shipment wasn't received. All she did was arbitrarily make up stuff as she went along, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. The supervisor acknowledged that Amazon has 10 business days to issue credit -- not 30 days. Also, the supervisor said that I should never have been told the item wasn't received because the tracking info shows otherwise, and if the issue doesn't resolve itself by next week, she would ask that a promotional credit be issued to me. However, I informed her that issuing a promotional credit was an unacceptable solution because 1.) promotional credits do not appear on customer's accounts and by not being able to see it on my account I have no way of know if it's there; 2.) promotional credits can only be used toward purchases made from Amazon -- they cannot be used to buy things from other sellers on Amazon, and 3.) promotional credits are valid for only a brief period of time -- they have expiry dates so when customers don't use them or forget about them the credits vanish, so customers lose money. I informed the supervisor that the only acceptable solution was a normal, non-expiry credit being issued to my account so I have the liberty to utilize the credit however I want in the future. The supervisor stated that her hands may be tied and I may not have a choice about what type of credit is issued to me, but she would research it then follow up with me. If Amazon sticks me with a promotional credit, instead of issuing me a normal credit, I will escalate the matter again.

Bottom line: Amazon has become inefficient; they are creating a deepening bureaucratic mess. It isn't right how customers are being mistreated and unjustly punished. I'm at my limit with Amazon's lame excuses and delay tactics that do nothing but buy them more time. And it smacks as if they are trying to exploit their customers and unjustly enrich themselves at their customer's expense. I'm in the process of filing a written complaint with the attorney general's office in my state.

P.S. It's also worth noting that friends have told me that they have recently submitted textbooks for buyback, but credit was denied them because the conditions didn't meet standards. As a result, books were shipped back to them. However, my friends made small and inconspicuous markings inside the books before they submitted them for buyback, yet the books that were shipped back to them didn't have these markings inside of them, so apparently there's some underhanded switcheroo going on.

UPDATE: June 20, 2014 at 4:05PM MT
The credit for one of the textbooks I traded in was just posted to my Amazon account. I'm not sure if it happened on it's own or if Amazon customer service made it happen, but at least one credit has finally been issued and I'm grateful. I still have deep concerns about how the textbook buyback program is being run, the misinformation I was given by Amazon customer service, etc., so at this time I'm leaning heavily toward not making any future textbook trade ins.

Posted on Jun 16, 2014 8:30:14 PM PDT
RK says:
I agree with everyone thus far that management needs to take a good look at this program because there are some serious issues with it, unlike before when it was very well run.
I submitted a large textbook trade-in a few months ago via amazon's instructions with USPS the very next day after I registered the items. Apparently USPS took too long to deliver the items so they blamed me and returned them without even processing them. When I called to complain I was told that there was some obscure place in the terms and conditions (which I still cant find) that says that the trade ins must be received within 27 days. I explained that I had nothing to do with the delay, I sent them the items exactly per their directions! They said there was nothing that could be done other than me re-submitting. When I went to re-submit, I found that the total trade-in value of the items had gone down by more than half! Reluctantly, I resubmitted and now they are returning items saying that the ISBN was "mismatched."
I'm guessing that after they quote the trade-in values they reach a point where the value of the book goes down so they try to find some excuse to not honor their agreement one way or another and in my case it was that they chose to blame the customer for why their trade-in was rejected. Its uncanny how every time they've blamed me for why an item was rejected the value of the trade-in price of the item(s) had gone down significantly from the time I registered the item to the moment where it was ultimately "rejected." I can accept that trade-in values can and must fluctuate. Just be honest Amazon, and state why the prices cant be honored anymore instead of trying to blame your customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 10:56:39 AM PST
Blinken says:
Hmmmm. I'd check back with Amazon customer service again, make sure they're looking at the right transaction number. I had a couple that were marked delivered on Feb. 26, and they entered "Processing..." and were converted into credit a few days ago.

2 weeks, if you mean 10 business days, is actually about how long does take from "delivery" to "processing" (there are many steps in between) - but that's during their very busy textbook return seasons, end of Fall and Spring semesters.

Posted on Mar 7, 2014 9:05:49 AM PST
Larry says:
I know exactly how all of you feel. I had some books delivered to them on February 23rd. I have not seen my screen change from "Not received yet". It has been two weeks since delivery and nothing. I called customer service and they claimed they wasn't received. The tracking number said they have. I have used this service a few times before with no problems. Amazon is really going downhill on their service with the trade-in program.

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 5:00:13 PM PST
Well, I'm done with the trade-in program. I have had 2 items from 2 separate orders never returned and now, looks like there will be 3 more, 3 dvd sets bought from Amazon, 1 severely damaged (obviously once it arrived), the other sets "not authorized" which played fine. The last order a set was said to have the wrong UPC code??? Yes, you can get a promotional thingy from Amazon but it is too much of a hassle and, frankly, the prices being paid aren't worth the trouble so I would rather donate items or sell at a yard sale. It just looks like someone doesn't want to pay, says they will return them but they never are returned making it necessary to track your items and spend extra time making complaints. Obviously after reading all the other posts, I'm not the only one running into trouble and it appears to be a long standing issue. If you trade-in, be prepared to pour over the invoice as items are picked through a couple at a time and make sure your items are being returned when rejected for what appears to be no fair reason. Not worth the effort.

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 9:25:47 AM PST
Wow, I can't believe how bad this has gone with Amazon! I sent two books in for Trade-In and both were returned as not in listed condition (I had to find this out by talking to an Amazon CSR) with no explanation. Which is incorrect both books were sent in described condition.

As I write I am on the phone with another heavily accented CSR (India?) for the third call. I am now trying to get the original offer value as it has decreased on one of the books by $20 in two weeks since I sent it in. 14 minutes in, thus far for a total of over 40 minutes on the phone. Amazon executes very well electronically but not so well when you need to talk to them. At the end of the call the CSR told me to resubmit and gave me a $20 credit to our account. So, to be continued.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2013 3:38:20 AM PST
Blinken says:
The 'without unpacking it' was probably a problem. The few times I've had something sent back to me, they did not pack it up as securely as I did it send it to them. It was probably damaged on another round of deliveries. I've traded in old iPhone models to them just fine, however, they were only *very* lightly used. 2 months or so, with case and screen protectors, with all original packaging.

They have to be tighter on this with electronics because people are SO picky about seeing any damage on items, even when they're selecting a used listing from Warehouse Deals or something. They're basically expecting a new item that the box has been opened on just once, it sounds like, from the seller reviews of warehouse deals I've read on here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2013 3:39:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2013 5:34:47 AM PST
Nebraska Red says:
I sent in a tablet for trade in which , to my mind, met the "good" condition. They said it was heavily scratched. it wasn't, just scuff marks from a black cover. I sent it in again as acceptable, without unpacking it, and now they say it is "severely damaged"
If they don't want certain items, such as older tablets, don't tempt people with the prospect of getting some credit for what is, basically, a paper weight. I will think twice before dealing with Amazon for any purchase after this debacle.

A follow on from the comments above.
I fired off a very unhappy email to Amazon Customer Service and received the usual half hearted apologetic response. After rating them poorly, I received an option to get a call back. I did get a call back, I vented my frustrations and the rep applied a promotional credit to my account , he gave me a credit for the "good" condition trade in, and I get to keep my "paper weight."
The moral of this story. Take the time to let them know how you feel and "vent" at the rep on the phone. These people clearly have a lot of discretion when it comes to dealing with these issues.

Posted on Nov 19, 2013 3:36:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2013 3:37:03 PM PST
Milly says:
They are so damn SLOW! My package was delivered last Friday and I still haven't received my credit yet. I want to order something with this credit, but I can't because those "merchants" are such slackers! This will be the last time I'll use this trade-in program.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 12:57:14 PM PDT
They did this today last week! I am so angry! I never used the book and it comes back with binding broken and the book falling apart!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 6:03:55 AM PDT
HDpalooza says:
I'm in the same boat. I sent $45.00 worth of DVD's via UPS which were received within 2 days of shipment and now 2 weeks later... nada, my account shows not yet received. My first experience with the trade in program was smooth with credits within about 5 days but now I have reservations about using the program in the future. Yes, I have contacted CS they recommended waiting until Aug. 1 and then get back to them if I have not been credited. A month, really!

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 5:54:35 AM PST
J. P. Huang says:
It seems that they outsourced the trade-in department to a third party company which amazon has little control over. I have some issues also, and the customer service rep told me to sell the book else where. Very bad experience.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 10:21:23 AM PDT
MommaNuch says:
I have only addressed any issues in writing...it is the only was to have documentation of what has occurred..(it can be time consuming and a pain, I know)......but I have never had problems getting things taken care of doing it that way...I think people think about what stares them in the face so much more than what they hear (I am a speech pathologist by trade...people seem to tune others out easily....sad, but true) Hope this helps! Marji
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (627 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  83
Total posts:  95
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2011
Latest post:  May 13, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions