Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Why list books for One Cent

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 370 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 9:26:57 AM PDT
Face it -- amazon folk are bookworms or students looking for a bargain. Print books have gone the way of the dinosaur --to save a few , we have to make compromises. But going broke doing it with our precious carge aint the way to go. Find a friend who has read the book and get them to write a book review of hard-core specifics, available as an "add-on" in the higher expedited shipping category. Send a list along with that, and bookworms will flock to you like you were heaven on earth. It better not be a scam however, or several suicides might be forthcoming. ALSO: watch out for fraud in mail, e.g. current postal annex contracts of clients could put them in a hellish bind if their annex folk have gone the way of zilch responsibility and forcing folk to pay for getting sued if they complsin. I saw a fellow get shocked in austin with the necessity of paying 55 cents for a 45 cent stamp at a postal annex near Metric Blvd / Parmer Lane. What a tragedy of justice is coming down the pike.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 9:45:55 AM PDT
This is a repeat -- I am unfamiliar with so many reviews. Basically, you need "added-value" to get anywhere. She following for rehash on that. As to weight scales, Bed Bath and Beyond sells 2 with about 5 - 8 items of info which are low on floor, wide / high, and accurate to the "T". I just weigh myself with and without the item and take the difference as the result package weight. I would supply things so uI can send U.S. Priority with Delivery Confirmation with no problemo. If other folk can't handle such niusance, I'm willing to buy ones in bulk of certain authors and / or subjects and add them to my personal library collection and /or sell extra copies of those I read and enjoy. I begain reading massively in 2nd grade with an illustrated dictionary, and consider myself a dictionographer, historiographer, mathematician, poet, computer / cognitive scientist, aqnd quick-sketch artist. My main problem is that working fulltime with folks that could never be satisfied , and lacking in desire for clout or official authority left me vulnerable to being blamed for mistakes right and left. The blame game is a dead man's hand -- get with the program and do something YESTERDAY -- Yes .. Terday!

Face it -- amazon folk are bookworms or students looking for a bargain. Print books have gone the way of the dinosaur --to save a few , we have to make compromises. But going broke doing it with our precious carge aint the way to go. Find a friend who has read the book and get them to write a book review of hard-core specifics, available as an "add-on" in the higher expedited shipping category. Send a list along with that, and bookworms will flock to you like you were heaven on earth. It better not be a scam however, or several suicides might be forthcoming. ALSO: watch out for fraud in mail, e.g. current postal annex contracts of clients could put them in a hellish bind if their annex folk have gone the way of zilch responsibility and forcing folk to pay for getting sued if they complsin. I saw a fellow get shocked in austin with the necessity of paying 55 cents for a 45 cent stamp at a postal annex near Metric Blvd / Parmer Lane. What a tragedy of justice is coming down the pike.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 12:19:48 PM PDT
Honorable folk abide by the definition of "very good" -- i.e. zilch highlighting on the regular pagesd. That is a baseline incontrovertible crystal clear definition. Here is another related interesting question -- if this becomes an oscillating never-ending winter , then what will be the last website to go down , and which clients will be there in the end to see the agony and the ecstasy thereof of a broncho-busting website fighting like the dickensonian humor to endure the tomfoolery of weather fluctuations ad-nauseum ? Whichever it is, it will be like Broncho Bill in the old folktale days, lassoing and riding that tornado with hurricanes coming at him from all directions at once in a fight flight to the finish followed later by a tredge gathering of remnants via hunker-down automobiles down "Hurricane Alley" , as the movie goes which stars George Peppard. .

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 3:12:34 PM PDT
el cid says:
Sadly this forum has "jumped the shark" I've decided to stop following it.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 7:37:09 PM PDT
N. Ovsak says:
Yes this forum has jumped the shark as the answer has already appeared in here several times, so I'm going to say what I think is the reason is and stop tracking this. These people that are selling these books for one cent are basically just trying to get rid of them because they aren't popular and are not selling so they're just taking up space on their shelves so instead of throwing them in the dumpster which would help add to the garbage bill they instead decide to sell it for one cent on amazon to someone who wants it and the $3.99 for shipping more than covers the shipping costs and amazon's expense for selling it on their website. so they may make almost one dollar off of it which is not much but they do it to basically just give it away because they don't want it anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 9:49:34 AM PDT
D. Manning says:
I sell my books on here for .01 and I get a credit back from Amazon for shipping. So I actually make $1.66 when I sell it for .01.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 10:56:32 AM PDT
But how much of that $1.66 do you have left after you pay for postage to ship the book? That's the point.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 4:23:38 PM PDT
Valueminded says:
Beware the used books on Amazon, especially the one-centers! These books are usually filthy and/or falling apart, and not fit to read! I have tossed 3 books from different dealers straight in the trash because the cover and pages were so stained I was disgusted, in another the pages so moldy I couldn't stand the smell and it set off my allergies, and in another the binding was so cracked that the book fell apart, and even the pages themselves disintegrated into pieces! In every case the condition was listed as acceptable or BETTER! The sellers, many with perfectly decent ratings, deliberately mislead you and describe the books in much better condition than they actually are! They get away with it because they offer a refund if you don't leave bad feedback! Honestly, I will never buy another used book from Amazon because I have been misled by so many sellers here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 7:02:08 PM PDT
S. Kapustka says:
I am sorry for your bad experience, but I have purchased at least 100 books at really low prices and I only had one with bad quality. When I sort out the books with the cheapest price first, I will see suppliers that I have used before, and I order from them. (BetterWorldBooks should send me a birthday card.) If someone has thousands of sales, they have a reputation to protect.

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 10:37:42 AM PDT
I have bought many books on amazon for $0.01 and have had a largely good experience. As an individual seller occasionally selling books I no longer want, I won't sell anything for under $2 as after amazon takes its fees, I take a loss. I don't believe that the larger sellers get a discount on mailing, but they do pay lower amazon fees. They must be making money somehow, but I sure don't understand how and so far nobody on this forum has been able to explain.

Do you get a discount on shipping if you buy your shipping from amazon?

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 11:14:44 AM PDT
Robert Kiehn says:
All I know is I like it! Amazon and the company's that sell these books still make money aka a profit
and it helps keep UPS and USPS in buisness as well as FedEx.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 11:26:51 AM PDT
N. Law says:
Thank you. I love purchasing my books as inexpensively as possible, and if the book I want is .01 cent, the happier I am. I also ship using USPS, and have had no problems. I weigh my books, pay the postage (media mail), print out a label, request a pickup from the postal person, and ta da, it is picked up at my front door after he/she rings the doorbell. Tnere is no waste of my gas, car wear and tear, and possibly my life by going out into traffic! I love AMAZON.com.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2012 1:54:17 PM PDT
Game-on says:
Personally I couldn't disagree more. Less than a week ago I bought a $0.01 book on advanced sculpting for zbrush and it was in pristine condition(no fingerprints, cover+pages were free of any marks, etc.) It is because this and the fast shipping that I will definitely buy from them again.

Then again I never buy from anyone who has less than a 95 on their seller ratings so that might be why.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 1:17:27 PM PDT
S. Elam says:
I thought it would be good to list all my books. Read once, excellent condition. Figured "why not?" so I listed them for $1.00 each. I sold ONE. Got excited! Then I processed it thru Amazon. and ended up owing Amazon a nickel. The only way to make money is to sell 4 or 5 to the same person and charge $3.99 each book for shipping and then ship in one large envelope for $5 or $6. Otherwise, you end up losing $$.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 11:40:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2012 12:02:52 PM PDT
This has been answered before, but I'll put it here again at the end of the thread. The sellers who are selling for $.01 are not paying the $.99 per-item fee (It's waived for Pro Merchants). This gives them a very small profit on the book, which they are willing to take because they deal in large numbers. For example: $4.00 (price with shipping allowance) - 1.35 (amazon variable fee) - 2.47 (media mail cost) - 0 (15% of 1 cent) = $.18 profit (not counting shipping boxes, printing, etc).

But individual sellers like us get hit with the $.99 per-item fee. Our profits work out like this:

If you price your book at $1.00 you will get $.03 --- $4.99 (Price plus shipping allowance) - .99 (per-item fee) - 1.35 (amazon variable fee) - 2.47 (lowest media mail cost) - .15 (15% commision) = $.03 profit .
If you price your book at $2.00 you will get $.88 --- $5.99 (Price plus shipping allowance) - .99 (per-item fee) - 1.35 (amazon variable fee) - 2.47 (lowest media mail cost) - .3 (15% commision) = $.88 profit .
If you price your book at $3.00 you will get $1.73

But for very popular books, you can't really charge that much, because there are HUGE stocks of those books still available, and pro merchants will always undercut you in price (because they don't get charged the $.99 fee).

The trick is to sell niche books where you can charge a decent price - say around $10. For the popular books, just donate them and take the $.75 - $3.00 deduction on your taxes.

I'm new, but I'm learning!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 2:59:50 AM PDT
Rover says:
And I'm glad you do! As mom of three we can't always buy new so i'm happy to that the buyer makes some money on the shipping and we feel better for not cutting down that extra tree to have things new. The pre-loved book we bought was a DK and the kids have loved it to bits now!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 6:03:58 AM PDT
I have to disagree with you the Postal services does not give any discounts, the reason a lot of people sell their book so cheap is because they run out of room and they want to "save" the planet trashing good books, I buy books all the time and I started selling them to make room for new ones, but I made no profit not even broke even .
But I still feel good that someone else is enjoying my books for pennies of the dollars I originally paid.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 9:39:33 AM PDT
What does it matter to anyone what SOMEONE ELSE prices their own merchandise for? If you don't want to price something at a penny, then DON'T DO IT! Are you attempting to force someone to price books higher? Are you that concerned for the seller's welfare?

We need to have you over in some of the other threads where people whine about prices being too high. You could counter those individuals with your demands that people price things HIGHER!

Who appointed a government regulatory committee to investigate the personal and/or professional decisions? Who appointed anyone else the "police" of what another does? Are you just nosy? Does the pricing habits of others have some grand affect on you personally? If someone prices one book at a penny and another at $500,000.00, would either of those prices cause you instant death? Would a family member die instantly due to someone that is unknown to them prices a book at a penny? Is this the new way to cut down on overpopulation? A person dies each time a book is priced at a penny? Unless it's your company pricing it at a penny, then what does it matter?

Clearly, someone had a purpose in mind, else they would not have done such. What is that purpose? It's known to the seller. If they had intended for you to know, they would make sure to note those reasons to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 12:23:41 PM PDT
S. Kapustka says:
ok, now we have really jumped the shark.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 12:46:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 12:23:57 AM PDT
Um, ever gotten a package with "bulk mail" or "bulk rate" somewhere on the label? You can "disagree" all you want. There are discounts for bulk shipping from most carriers. They LOVE getting massive business, and will cut individual package rates a bit if it means they get literally thousands of packages worth of business from a company. Do you really think companies like Amazon, shipping millions of packages a year, pay the same per package shipping cost as John Q. Public who ships maybe a couple dozen packages in a year (if that)? Dream on. Yes, they still pay good money out as shipping costs, but carriers will fall all over themselves to get business from such companies, since they need that business to stay alive. Saying they won't come down at all from the normal cost won't get them that business, if another carrier will gladly do so.

Edited to clarify: most packages that were fee discounted won't actually have the words "bulk rate" on them, though I know I have gotten some. My post was to illustrate the point that when you have multiple carriers all eager for the business from a company that ships thousands of packages a month, rates will not always be full price. Of course, the shipping service used is also not necessarily USPS, or the cheapest method and class the carrier offers. It all depends. A lot of people are making assumptions that just aren't always the case.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 8:16:39 AM PDT
I am a new seller I sell mostly my own personal book that I had purchased either on Amazon or Barnes & Nobles with my discount rewards card, I was getting out of room for "NEW" ones so I become a "Seller" I am not making any money yet but I feel good that because I recycle my books at low price someone else will give a room to my books in their house, and yes I had sold books were I had not make money but satisfaction that I can still contribue in a very small way to save our planet and save a stay home mom that enjoys reading some money.
My advise to you is buy from "NEW SELLERS" like me that even after I make no money I can not get a "Positive FeedbacK" as a thank you gesture from the buyer. I would like to know how some seller have over 100K ratings specially selling "garbage" to other people.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 9:37:39 AM PDT
T. Kelly says:
Sandra Prusik: It sounds like you are using FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon)? Now that makes sense. I knew there had to be SOME money in it. Otherwise, I take my profitless books to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. I can not IMAGINE putting a book in the trash! Or the public library where they have book sales twice a year.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 9:44:47 AM PDT
T. Kelly: No I do not use fulfilled by Amazon. I also donate any books that I can not list at a price where I am not losing money to mail them. Making a profit is not my biggest concern, not having to spend money out of pocket to ship them is.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 8:35:24 PM PDT
A. Gilbert says:
I always thought that the people who sold for 1 cent didn't have to pay postage--they were either young people whose parents would take the package on their trip to the post office and mail it, or people whose job shipped out many packages and they could easily use the postage meter for their own shipping as well. I, too, will sell a book as long as I break even on the postage in order to get it to someone who might appreciate it, but I try not to end up paying to get people to take my books!

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 11:17:47 PM PDT
Denni says:
Anastasia, buyers receive a discount if they purchase books directly from Amazon, or third party venders that utilize Fulfillment By Amazon. Otherwise, additional shipping charges apply for books purchased from Amazon Venders (which for books is usually $3.99 ea)

If you are asking about sellers, I've no idea if they can purchase postage through Amazon. If so, I doubt it is discounted, although a few services (such as e-DC may be discounted).

The party that keeps insisting that book venders can get bulk rates for USPS...must sell ALOT of books. I've purchased many books online, from venders large and small, coast to coast, and do not recall EVER receiving a 'bulk rate' discounted package. I'm really not sure Media Mail has a bulk rate. And whoever used Media Mail and Parcel Post as interchangeable terms was TOTALLY mistaken. Media mail is it's own separate catagory and very limited as to qualifying content. But Parcel Post is probably only limited by size, I'm unaware of any content restrictions (other than those items illegal to send through the mail).
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (595 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  204
Total posts:  370
Initial post:  Apr 16, 2011
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 44 customers

Search Customer Discussions