Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

i have the same book, but ISBN has different numbers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 16, 2011 1:36:20 PM PDT
Checkcard says:
if i bought books from a bookstore and not from amazon, is it okay to sell them even though they have a different ISBN number??

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 7:42:02 PM PDT
Amazon's rules are clear that books should not be listed under an ISBN if the number is different. The ISBN number changes between editions, so if it is not the same, the book is probably not exactly the same. You could end up breaking Amazon's rules AND have a dissatisfied customer with bad feedback. Why not list your book under the correct ISBN? The ISBN should have a listing, unless it is a banned version, like a teacher's version or International version. Selling either of those will get you banned from Amazon too.

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 9:19:18 PM PDT
Robert B. says:
if a book has a different ISBN number, it's not the same book

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 12:06:45 PM PDT
M. Thomas says:
Bought a book from amazon. Tried to trade in the same book back for money, however it claims the book is different by the ISBN number. What!? I bought the book from you! How can you say its different?? Any help?

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 4:57:37 PM PDT
Robert B. says:
did you buy it from a seller on Amazon? If you did you could have very well bought an instructor's edition, or even an International edition. In order to list it, the original seller had to put it under it's legitimate counterpart's ISBN number. Technically neither of the afore mentioned books are legal to sell, so a wholesaler certainly isn't going to buy them back. That's the huge downfall of buying off the net, you never know *for sure* that what you bought is what you're getting

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 6:42:19 AM PDT
Frank Wylie says:
I bought a book from a third-party seller on here last spring, thinking it was the right book. Wrong! It was the far-east edition, and the ISBN number is different. Now I'm stuck with it. You just have to be careful. Now, I just look for booksellers that have a state listed as sending from.

Posted on Jul 21, 2011 5:29:04 PM PDT
Shane Kelly says:
Sometimes books have a different ISBN when they're bundled with a web access code or disc. So you might have the same book but it's considered different because it came with some non-book item.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 6:59:59 AM PDT
My book has been illegally copied and sold on here I have also purchased products that are illegal copies. The ISBN # should be the same if it isn't it may be an illegal copy. If you try to sell an illegal copy you could be charged with copyright infringements.

Posted on Jul 22, 2011 11:26:04 AM PDT
R. C. Palmer says:
I have an "exam copy" that is the exact same (even the ISBN #) as the student edition...can I sell it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2011 11:17:32 PM PDT
I have the same problem..what is the differance in the two books?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2011 4:18:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2011 4:26:06 AM PDT
SAK says:
if you have a book that is a different ISBN than what is offed in Trade-In, the book is different. Check the ISBN wanted by the Trade-In Store verses the ISBN found on your book. Use Amazon.com as a way to compare the two copies. You will find that sometimes the differences are as simple as when the book was published, or one book comes with media or an access card and the other one doesn't. Make sure the book you want to trade in exactly matches what is wanted (title, ISBN, any included items with the book).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 2:04:39 PM PDT
Just had the same thing happen to me. I am not too happy about it right now as I was going to put that gift card towards new books for the fall...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 2:09:29 PM PDT
Also if they in fact did send me the wrong book in the first place then I believe I deserve a refund.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 12:49:48 AM PDT
Check the version number of the book -- each version has its own ISBN, and as others have said, any added media etc. bundled with the book will produce a new ISBN also.

If you buy a book for a fall course and try to sell it for the spring, a new version could already be out. That would make the older version near to worthless. The textbook sellers set it up like that, not Amazon.

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 3:15:48 AM PDT
Barbara says:
Oh my, so much misunderstanding out there regarding the different textbooks. Trust me, the publishers make it confusing on purpose. If you can give me the ISBN#'s that you are referring to, I can tell you the difference(s) and would be able to help or at least explain.
Stephen, if you bought the book from AMAZON, I highly doubt they would have sent you a book with a wrong ISBN#. If your ISBN# doesn't match, then most likely you bought your copy from a marketplace seller, who might or might not have disclosed the difference in their description. Did you buy a new or used book?

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 9:48:13 AM PDT
mrtagr says:
I just had a similar experience buying a textbook. I am very careful to make sure ISBN#'s are the same and I do not receive an international copy. I bought a textbook ISBN# 9780077350017 and received a text with ISBN# 978-0-07-337810-7. In the back of the book it actually has the second ISBN# and below it says part of the first ISBN#. Both are the same edition, at first I thought I received not the revised edition but I called the publisher (MCG) and was actually told it is the same book not bundled and they swap the book. So it does take a lot of leg work to buy these textbooks and they make it difficult for all of us!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 12:39:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2011 12:40:51 AM PDT
What is your book ISBN??...because I need this book....and it look same with the ISBN 9780133696578, which I need one urgent.... I´m confuse with the difference in number.

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 9:38:36 AM PDT
With all this confusion, I will just opt to buy my books from my college's bookstore. Then I won't be in trouble with the prof if I have the wrong book! I can't take all this confusion in buying used textbooks and/or even new ones, with the beginning of class only weeks away!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 10:35:10 AM PDT
MamaBird says:
Hi I bought from a marketplace seller. My I verified the ISBN # in the add 978-013-2509-251 (2006) and received 013-0625922 (2004). I orderded back in June and just discovered the difference today. I contacted the seller through Amazon. I bought used, but the ad said it was the 2006 version which I need for my daughter. How can I find the difference betweed the two editions? I have a call into Prentice Hall already.

Posted on Aug 2, 2011 12:22:56 AM PDT
Barbara says:
Sorry for the delay in responding, I am out of town, but I did promise to try to help. Let me give a few brief answers because I am typing this from my phone. 

Annette:
I do not know what book you are referring to when you say "this book". However, I looked up the ISBN# you listed, and that is a book PLUS digital access. If you are looking at a book that LOOKS the same, but is a lower price, it is possible that it is the book ONLY - without the digital access. IF  you don't need the digital access, then this might be okay, but if you do, or if you don't know, I would not recommend buying it. The publishers lists just the digital access by itself for  $64.97, while the book plus digital access is $78.97, so as usual, you get a big discount when buying the two together, but end up paying dearly for them separately. Can you tell me: what is the ISBN# of the book you're looking at ("this book"), and do you need the digital access, or don't you know? 

Nancy:
It can be very confusing, but it isn't always. You can save a LOT of money by buying your textbooks here, so you need to decide what is more important to you. It will really depend if you can get the actual ISBN# of the book that the prof requires. My college does not give out much info about the book at all, so I email my prof.  If I get a definitive answer, I will go ahead and order the book. If the prof is dingy about it (which happens pretty often), I wait until class starts and then buy it on Amazon with expedited shipping if it's worth it, and at the college bookstore if it's not - then I'm still no worse off than if I had paid top dollar at the college bookstore a few weeks early. Profs usually give students a couple of weeks after class starts to get their books, so many students wait until class starts to buy their books. Especially since it is not uncommon for the college to have the wrong book listed. Also, please be aware that all marketplace vendors are REQUIRED by Amazon to accept returns with the conditions being at least as favorable as Amazon's (30 days, I think). However, they are permitted to charge up to a 20% restocking fee, although many don't charge that much, if anything at all. 

MamaBird:
My phone is almost dead and my fingers are numb - not to mention it is nearly 3:30AM.  I will try to answer you tomorrow. 

Sorry for the many typos that must be in this post - I will edit when I am on a more user friendly device. 

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 12:26:05 AM PDT
Barbara says:
Cate - I HAD to add a comment regarding your post. Correction: it is NOT the textbook sellers that set it up like that WHATSOEVER. It is the PUBLISHERS! (along with the colleges and professors that are in cahoots with them!)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 1:54:00 AM PDT
I was being imprecise in the use of textbook 'sellers'. I meant publisher: they are the ones who set up the ISBN.

Most professors do not make all that much money from their textbooks -- but a few do. And while some colleges make money from their bookstores, many subsidize them. I'm a prof, and I've written a brief on the advisability of subsidizing the bookstore, which we then did.

It's the publishers who are making tons of money, printing textbooks with errors in them, and publishing new versions as often as they can to keep the prices high.

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 5:43:58 PM PDT
A. Brown says:
Earlier this year I purchased a book from Amazon, ISBN 020562684X. It arrived with online content. I received what I thought was the correct book, as it was identical to the one I ordered in every way except one: its ISBN was 0205593240. I have seen both texts, and they have identical content, pagination, text, etc. The only difference is the ISBN. I am assuming that because the text came with online material, Amazon might have paired the online material with the textbook separately.

My problem is that Amazon will not accept my return/trade-in, claiming that the book I am returning does not match the ISBN that they sent/are requesting. However, Amazon is the company that sent me this text (I did not purchase it from a third-party through Amazon). Has anyone else had any similar experiences? Is there any course of action that I might follow here?

Posted on Apr 29, 2012 6:42:05 PM PDT
Go to your book order, and tell them they sent the other ISBN. Then say you are now trying to sell the same book back, and ask them to help you sort it out.

I have not had that happen, but errors have to happen from time to time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2012 10:01:36 PM PDT
Barbara says:
I only have a moment, so if this quick explanation isn't clear enough, please just let me know by posting a reply, then I'll come back and explain in more detail.

You ordered the book with online material. Even though that ISBN# is different from the standalone book's ISBN, that does not mean the book itself will come with a different ISBN#.

When publishers bundle textbooks along with other materials, they assign that BUNDLE its OWN ISBN#. However, the textbook itself will not have that bundle's ISBN# actually printed on it. Rather, the book and the other material will most likely be shrink-wrapped together, and a LABEL with the bundle's ISBN# will be placed on the outside of the shrinkwrap.

If you ordered directly from Amazon, this is most likely what you received. Do you remember opening the shrinkwrap? If you want to trade your book in under the ISBN number you purchased it under, you would need to peel that label off of the shrink-wrap and place it on the back of the book - over top of the textbook's original ISBN.

I see why you want to trade it in under the bundle listing rather than the textbook alone - it's worth more money. Problem is, Amazon should not even be offering to buyback bundles if they're used, because usually whatever the additional materials were, they can only be used once - bundles shouldn't be sold as "used", just textbooks. Unfortunately, the people that handle this at Amazon often aren't even aware of when a listing is a bundle and when it's not. This happens all of the time and it's VERY annoying. Same thing happens with standalone access codes and loose-leaf edition textbooks. They say they'll buy them back, but once they're received, they're just returned because those listings really shouldn't have had a trade value in the first place.

I know I rambled a bit here - sorry. If my explanation didn't make sense, as I said earlier, please reply to this post and I will try to clarify what I'm trying to say.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (598 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Jul 16, 2011
Latest post:  May 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions