100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Jana Kramer All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Your review to the textbook trade-in service

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 85 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 25, 2015 11:27:30 AM PDT
When this service started years ago, it worked well and within the timeframes Amazon specifies. However, after Amazon began working through a mysterious third party provider to buy the books on their end, it has been absolute crap. In fact, I have seen numerous other book tradein stores require you ship it to the same city/state, so I am guessing there's one company lagging the whole damn process up. I'm on my fourth time this year of a 25+ day wait. Books were delivered the 6th of September (actually delivered to the third party, not just UPS's dropoff), still not updated. I do not even call Amazon customer service anymore, as they just issue an Amazon credit, which is only good on items sold and shipped directly from Amazon. The best suggestion I have is to wait it out. My last turn-in took 38 days from the date of delivery to process. Good luck.

Posted on Sep 20, 2015 9:14:45 AM PDT
Alex says:
So far, my first textbook trade in experience with Amazon has been terrible. I sent in my textbooks on September 1st and thought I would check on the payment, since it's been 20 days. The first thing amazon shows me is that the package has not been delivered yet, but when clicking on 'track package' it shows as delivered. Amazon, please show consistent information!

After seeing this, I called customer service to find out what was going on and had a terrible experience on the phone as well. I talked to a total of three different people, because the first two people didn't understand that I was talking about a trade in, not an order that I had placed. I had even answered a question about what my call was regarding before placing the call to customer service, so they should have known. Amazon needs to do a better job of training their employees on all of its programs, because it was evident that the first two people I talked to had no idea about the trade in program. The 45 minutes I spent on the phone didn't even get me anywhere. I was just told to wait and if the payment was not on my gift card balance in 10 days, it will be reported as lost... no answer as to whether they actually received my textbooks or not.

Long story short, if it's going to be this much of a struggle to sell my textbooks to amazon, in the future I'll take a few dollars less and use another company.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2015 6:54:12 AM PDT
D. Jackson says:
Johanna thank you for your insight.

What was the eventual outcome? I'm dealing with a similar situation now.

Thanks. -Dan

Posted on Jun 11, 2015 10:30:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2015 10:37:33 AM PDT
Johanna says:
I'm on my third time trading in my books, and honestly regret doing it even once. Fool me once, shame on you...fool me three times, and I can't even blame them anymore. This is my own stupid fault.

The first time I used the trade-in service, they mysteriously lost the 3 most expensive books I sent in. They say they didn't even receive them, but I sent all 12 books in one package, and they got the other 9 of them.

The second time, I sent in 10 books. They received all of them, but it was so long past the date UPS had reportedly delivered them (based on tracking the package) that I got worried and called customer service. They weren't able to easily tell me where my package was. They suggested I call UPS to inquire about the actual delivery date. UPS told me it had been delivered on the exact date it said it had been on package tracking. I called Amazon back, relayed the information, and it took them a while to "find" my package and to see that they had indeed received it but that it ~just hadn't been processed yet~. Miraculously over the next few hours, the package status changed from "Not Yet Received" to "Processing" after almost TWO WEEKS of it being "Not Yet Received" when UPS said it had been delivered.

I'm on my third time now, and it's shaping up to look the same as all the other times.

I understand working in customer service can be an absolute nightmare, but I was never rude or hateful toward the trade-in team. I was always respectful and tried to work with them, and they were always nice and polite over the phone. I'm sure they have times of the year that are busier than others and that they are processing many packages at the same time. However, I think they need to be more transparent and forthcoming about what goes on behind the curtain because from an outward perspective, it seems like a disorganized, chaotic mess.

I'll be taking my business elsewhere next time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2015 8:29:25 PM PDT
S. Brooks says:
Most aren't commenting on the pricing difference between what was initially proposed and what they got....they're concerned with the uncertainty in how their books are being handled. It seems no one knows what really happens to their book once it's sent in. There's no transparency in the process for the sellers.

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:43:30 AM PDT
Winnem909 says:
Do you think posting pretty much the same comment 4 different times gets your point across more effectively? And the majority of the people here aren't complaining because they don't know how supply and demand works. They're complaining because Amazon explicitly states how they're process works and they don't adhere to that process at all. And I don't remember the exact things that amazon states, but for example, they might say that within a week of receiving a shipment they will pay you but some people may have to wait a month. And for some, they end up losing shipments and giving you Amazon credit, which while nice, is not cash. I agree complaining to the BBB is useless, but your not understanding the big problem here.

Posted on Apr 25, 2015 12:08:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2015 12:08:57 AM PDT
Charles C. says:
Sounds like a lot of folks have no clue how buying ans selling textbooks works. Its completely a supply/demand based transaction. Its why you can come on to find a book and it is $20 one day and $40 a few days later. When you first checked in they had a lot of books from plenty of sellers. When you checked back there were fewer books available from fewer sellers. Supply and demand. Selling works the same way. Hotel rooms, car rentals, airline tickets all work the same way. Perhaps Amazon could make that easier to understand but the fact is ignorance of the process on your part does not constitute an issue for Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2015 12:02:55 AM PDT
Charles C. says:
Good luck. The BBB can't do a thing. It i snot a government agency and has absolutely no power. Why do people think the BBB has the ability to do something? I guess you put "Bureau" in your name and the rubes buy into it. Its impotent. You won't get anything that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2015 12:00:05 AM PDT
Charles C. says:
Guess what the BBB can do? Not a damn thing. It is not a government agency and has zero power. They tell you so on their website. All they can do is take your complaint and make it available to anyone who inquires about the business you reported. Guess what Amazon does if the BBB calls? Not a damn thing. They know it is an impotent organization.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2015 11:57:59 PM PDT
Charles C. says:
Guess what the BBB can do? Not a damn thing. It is not a government agency and has zero power. They tell you so on their website. All they can do is take your complaint and make it available to anyone who inquires about the business you reported. Guess what Amazon does if the BBB calls? Not a damn thing. They know it is an impotent organization.

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 9:35:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2015 9:39:31 PM PDT
C. Worth says:
Steer clear of this trade-in service if possible. Communication by customer service has been awful. Like many of you are reporting, my trade-in status has not changed from "Not received" since delivery was confirmed a week ago. I've gotten the same e-mail telling to "Contact on so and so date, if it doesn't change" twice with two different dates. This service is more inconvenience than what it's worth, especially when you're a student hoping to get credit for next semester's books in a timely manner.

Posted on Jan 7, 2015 1:41:36 PM PST
L R says:
How many have actually filed a complaint with the BBB?

Posted on Jan 5, 2015 11:53:33 AM PST
Winnem909 says:
I will be emailing Amazon later in the afternoon, since I was told to wait till the end of the day, and then I'll update this post. Thanks for informing me on what exactly promotional credit is, otherwise I wouldn't have known. I turned in a little over $300 dollars as well, and being limited to Amazon-sold only items seems stupid, especially when it's a problem on their end that is causing this. However, to Amazon's credit, I recently ordered a $150 watch that was stolen off my porch. I know because I found the ripped open box with my name on it in my neighbors yard. However, I went to my orders page, and clicked that it never arrived and Amazon then next-dayed me a another new watch. So they have their downs, but they have their ups as well. I will still be a dedicated user of Amazon Prime after this incident, I just won't use their troubled trade-in program.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2015 11:30:17 AM PST
B. Kish says:
So what's happened since AUgust?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2015 11:29:54 AM PST
B. Kish says:
Please update us on what has happened since December 21. DId you get your credit or a gift card? There are others of us in the same boat waiting.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2015 11:28:42 AM PST
B. Kish says:
According to reviews, the promo credit only allows you to buy items directly from amazon so if you want to purchase say a textbook through another seller (but fulfilled by AMazon) you are out of luck. I am looking at over $300 in credit owed my son. (B. Kish) We need to get him his new textbooks by the time he heads back to college this Sunday! Like I said, I have done trade ins for 2 college kids in our household without any delay or problems until now. Anxiously awaiting to see what happens tomorrow but I am definitely going to call them and request a GIFT CARD not promo credit and raise a HUGE stink and socially media blitz if I get the run around. I suggest you do the same! Like I said, I have been a big fan of amazon for years but don't appreciate the anxiety this situation is creating. Unhappy customers need to utilize their consumer power and not feel powerless. COntact the BBB and your state's Attorney General, research how to get in touch with the company's corporate top brass, etc and let your voices be heard if things aren't resolved in a legal and satisfying manner. ALso look into what UPS will do for you if Amazon is saying the package is "lost". good luck!

Posted on Jan 4, 2015 1:30:35 PM PST
Winnem909 says:
I'm having the same issue. I mailed my in on Dec 19 and they arrived the 26th. Yet it stills says "not received" on my account. I was told by customer service to wait till Jan 5 to email them to get the promo credit. Is promo credit bad? The way you speak of it, I'm afraid it's something to be worried about. This is my first experience trading in anything to Amazon, and I can confidently say I most likely will not do it again. ESPECIALLY, when they advertise it will take approx 2 days, when that is clearly not the case. And some may say it's due to the holidays but I doubt that would warrant this long of a delay over their estimated time.

Posted on Jan 3, 2015 8:36:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2015 8:39:55 PM PST
B. Kish says:
I mailed my son's textbooks back on December 20 from central MA. UPS delivered them to PA on December 26 according to tracking. Usually books ship there more quickly but I'll blame that on the holiday. It is Jan 3rd and still listed as "not received". I have been successfully trading in textbooks for both my son and daughter for over 2 years now and have had much quicker service (trouble free) from Amazon in the past. I had my son send customer service an email and they want us to wait until Jan. 6 at which point they will issue "a promotional gift" for the value. These recent events (or lack thereof), along with some of these reviews make me very nervous!! These are VERY expensive Sci/Math textbooks - 2 at almost $200 retail each and 2 others at over 100 each! They were returned in like new condition. (my son is a 4.0 student who barely opened them) If I get this promo credit there will be a HUGE stink to be made all over social media. I am a consumer advocate and won't back away silently. I will update this post as soon as I have any news/

Posted on Dec 13, 2014 10:19:50 AM PST
robertj7119 says:
DO NOT SELL YOUR BOOKS TO AMAZON!!!!! I read some of the reviews and decided to give Amazon a try selling my college books. I submitted my books November 21, 2014. USPS showed they were delivered December 1, 2014. I waited and waited to no avail. I've contacted customer service several times and got the same response..."We have not yet received your books, please contact us after Dec 12 if the status hasn't changed". On December 13th I contacted customer service again and they sent me an email apologizing for the inconvenience and stated that they would credit $252.21 to my account in the form of a promotional credit. I checked my account and it was no where to be found. I had customer service call me and the rep told me that it would not be credited to my account and that the information was incorrect. So I said basically you guys just blatantly lied. Now they've sent me an email saying if my account doesn't show that my books have arrived by December 21 to contact them. This has been a nightmare. I will never use Amazon again. I've filed a Better Business complaint and forwarded the blatantly false email to them.

Posted on Aug 20, 2014 10:47:57 PM PDT
Corey says:
I shipped 2 perfect condition text books on the 8/11. I tracked them and it shows that it has been delivered on 8/13. It is 8/20 now and no credit. My trade-in account says they havent even been received yet. This is ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2014 3:21:19 AM PDT
Delos says:
"He graduated in December...as most of the textbooks are not listed"

Well, there's part of your problem there. Not only do new editions come out all the time, but the 'market price' of these trade in offers, here and elsewhere, all depend if the used textbook dealer still *needs* a certain book. So, they may need a bunch at first, but as they start to fill their estimated quota of what they need in stock to resell next semester, the price drops. Or goes to zero.

Just like students getting cheaper books if they are among the first students to start buying, starting from the lowest priced used ones, just before the beginning of the semester, your trade in price will usually fall if you're among the last group of students trying to sell back. You say that 'they've been used recently', but consider that 2 really big end-of-semester buy back periods have already come and gone since then.

And, when you say - "they're good enough to sell, but not to take as trades" you have to remember, there are many sellers, individuals and companies, that list used books under each textbook listing here. The person or company he bought from isn't the same thing as the entity accepting trade-ins. Amazon is just the site that both side buy through (unless you're buying something from the seller Amazon LLC, directly.)

Publishers, because they (perceive) lose money in the used textbook trade, have been rolling out new editions of textbooks more frequently. That's not Amazon's fault, though. Nor is it their fault when the professors of each college across the country choose to name the new edition the required text for a class, instead of the old. Those are the things that determine the market value of used textbooks, and hence the buyback price.

Posted on Jul 18, 2014 3:34:05 PM PDT
N. Hall says:
When my son moved out, he left me his textbooks to try to sell on Amazon. He bought most of them through Amazon. He graduated in December, so these are books that were in use recently. I'm frustrated with this service as most of the textbooks are not listed, so they can't be traded. In one case, an earlier edition was listed, but not the one he has. Some of these books were not in great shape when he got them, so the comments about books being rejected are concerning. I guess they're good enough to sell, but not to take as trades. So far, I've found one that I could trade for $.78, which isn't worth the trouble. I'll keep going through the pile to see if I find a winner.

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 2:33:44 AM PDT
NikIzzy says:
I had a few awesome experiences until it became popular and then Amazon has been unable to fulfill the deadlines as advertisers. When it says "may take 2 days to process once delivered" this is apparently just a general description, and instead can take up to 10 days. I was told "to be patient" by the amazon rep. Fine, but then chance your advertising as it is fraudulent. After several days of my books being delivered to their merchant, which is another problem, your books are not actually sent to amazon so they can't ascertain where they are or the status, and after literally hours of chatting with reps I was issued a "credit" after I agreeded to this, not until the very end after processing was I informed that it was a promo credit and NOT a gift card, which is distinct as it can not be ised except with products sold and shipped by amazon. As the trade in would have enabled a gift card, to be used without these restrictions this whole credit thing is unacceptable.

Unless you are willing to diligently track your order, fight for your payment after Amazon has your property which they can re-sell, and don't care if they change the payment terms the benefit of trade in (expected profit as compared to student bookstores) does NOT outweigh the cost. Don't waste your time. And if you do, be prepared to wait 10 days at minimum for even the beginning of processing after delivery, AKA ignore the explicit discription stated on the Amazon help website as it keep not true.

Further, I asked if a shipment was lost if that meant I was only guaranteed "credit" and for no response. My books according to UPS were delivered and signed for. If you are over worked in processing, hire more people, or change the website to adjust customer a expectations.

Posted on Feb 12, 2014 4:13:04 PM PST
K says:
So I just recently tried the textbook trade in. I submitted my trade in on the 5th and it arrived at New Stanton PA on the 7th. On the 11th I checked and it said that my books have yet to be received even though when I tracked it, it said it was delivered. I sent an email via contact us and received an email the following day, which is Wednesday. On Wednesday when I checked my trade in it said processing and a couple of hours later I got my gift card.

Posted on Feb 6, 2014 9:52:02 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 6, 2014 9:57:54 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (618 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  85
Initial post:  Apr 15, 2011
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions