Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Buy back e-books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 51 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2011 2:21:14 PM PST
Can I sell back my e-books from Kindle? Once I read them it seems pointless to keep them on my Kindle so I was just wondering if they will buy them back for a part of the money it cost to download them on there??

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 10:20:59 PM PST
Please tell me you're joking.

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 10:28:50 PM PST
There's no buy-back of Kindle books, which would be kinda pointless anyhow. Anyone who wants to pay the price can always download their own copy. Just delete them from your Kindle when finished reading to get your space back. The books you buy from Amazon will show up in your archives and you will be able to download them again later for no extra cost if you want to read them again someday.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2011 8:45:33 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 12, 2011 2:12:44 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 4:21:34 AM PST
B. Sina says:
If one doesn't want to "waste" money on e-books because he/she cannot re-sell them later like dead tree books should just wait to read them from a library that lends e-books.

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 6:33:38 PM PST
Mike Brady says:
One day we'll reach peak bytes. We should start recycling our bits now before we run out.

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 7:09:41 PM PST
LHarris says:
You can lend most books in exchange for someonw one elses ebook.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 9:14:19 PM PDT
Harsh Kalra says:
As now it's possible to borrow Kindle books from some libraries - it would be nice if Amazon can setup a mechanism whereby I can donate the license of my ebooks to the local library for further lending to it's patrons.

Posted on Oct 4, 2011 7:14:15 PM PDT
Razzviva says:
Just swap books with someone!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 12:56:34 PM PST
Only some books allow lending, and I thought you could only lend once and I didn't know that it was related to them loaning you back.

I agree that you can delete it from your Kindle to free up space. But there are some books I'd pay amazon to remove from my archives because they just slow me down getting to the books I actually want.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 1:43:38 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 17, 2013 11:41:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 10:15:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 10:16:07 PM PST
Apparently some people are misunderstanding the functionality and/or level of availability of the "lending" feature.

Also, you CAN delete books completely from your "archives" as well, though you're then cut off from access to the book and are still out the money. But, it's an option, since there's not really anything else you can do with the books on a permanent level, other than having them just sit there.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 4:03:48 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 6:22:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 14, 2012 6:26:24 PM PST
Joyce, no. E-textbooks are really designed for convenience, not for financial benefits. As has been stated countless times in these forums, you can often get print books for less, and even if you can't, you can at least regain some of your money by reselling print books later regardless. E-textbooks you can only buy at whatever price they're set at, and you're stuck with it.

Since e-books are digital, there is NO advantage whatsoever to companies to "buy them back", because the supply is literally unlimited and they can charge what they like. Since there's also a lack of ability to "transfer" the license to an e-book to someone else, that also makes it impossible to get any return on the investment by other means. Yes, you can do work-arounds by registering devices to other accounts and such, but I don't think it'd be wise to be selling an e-book to a stranger if it requires literally giving their device access to your account.

All reasons that I don't buy e-books unless they're highly discounted (as in, discounted down to like one tenth of the print price or so) or I know they'd be keepers anyway. The convenience of having them on an e-reader instead of in my bag simply isn't worth the financial loss to me. I have yet to encounter a textbook I wasn't able to resell to someone for at least 50% of what I paid for it, and for most I manage to get at least 80% of my money back. If I had gotten them as e-books, I would have paid more for each one and gotten no money back. It would be a loss of hundreds of dollars already, and I'm only going on a year and a half into my degree.

Posted on May 20, 2012 6:10:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 2:15:27 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2012 11:05:44 AM PDT
As has been already answered in this thread and elsewhere, no you can't sell back your e-books. It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever what device you have.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:45:42 PM PDT
af says:
if you didn't open it or read it, you may be able to call amazon.....also, right after you buy an ebook there is a button to press if you bought it by mistake...

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 12:49:51 AM PDT
Yes, what af says is definitely true. While Amazon will not buy back e-books via a trade-in program type deal, they will and do refund accidental e-book purchases which are reported in a timely fashion (they basically "erase" the transaction so it never took place and all money is refunded). They'll do the same if something is majorly wrong with the e-book, such as it not opening, having missing or distorted sections, or if the formatting or editing is so flawed that it makes reading it extremely difficult.

So, while you can't get any money back just because you bought an e-book, read it, and don't want or need it anymore, you aren't "stuck" if you accidentally click the button to purchase, or if the book is the e-book version of a "damaged" book. Those are legitimate issues, and will get you a refund if addressed in a reasonable time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 8:52:03 PM PDT
S. Patterson says:
Well I am sure someone would rather pay a discounted "buy back" price, rather than FULL price...I think it should be an option too!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 9:45:42 PM PDT
That statement makes no sense. Think through what you're saying. The buy back program buys back used items from people in order to sell those used items to others at a discounted used price. What exactly is the point of buying back a digital file? And, if you DO do so, what purpose would there be to selling it again for a reduced price as a used file? Can you name one single sign of wear and tear a digital e-book file experiences simply by virtue of being read on an e-reading device or app? No? Because there isn't one. Therefore, no reason for a discounted buy back price to be offered. They can sell an unlimited number at full price, and so have no reason to need to buy any back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 10:31:57 PM PDT
S. Patterson says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:38:32 AM PDT
I agree

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 2:21:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 2:25:01 PM PDT
Yes, I'm sure we'd all LOVE lower e-book prices. Who wouldn't? Take it up with the publishers. At least if they stopped being idiots, Amazon could stop having e-books that cost a fortune (have you looked at the e-book prices on the newer Stephen King books?), and at least start setting the prices themselves again. That would help. But, what you're envisioning is simply never going to happen. Not legally anyway. Part of buying e-books is knowing what you're paying for, and accepting that. You're locked in. Period. If the restrictions and lack of options on what to do with the file later don't work for you, buy the print version. Unless and until there is any purpose whatsoever to buying back a copy of an unlimited digital file, the thought is a pipe dream. Part of the reason places love selling e-books is that they are always full-price sales to one digital account only, with virtually no storage and absolutely no supply problems. Whether you have one buyer or a hundred million, you can serve them all via that one file. Some books let you lend them for a short time, but outside of that, you can't transfer, resell, or do any of the other things that tend to happen with print books to reduce their sales.

Also, why the heck are you buying e-books and then printing them? Who does that? I've never even heard of that. People either buy the print copy and read it in print, or buy the e-book and read it digitally. What on Earth do you even do with a printed out e-book? I can't imagine that being nearly so easy to read as the other options, nor easy to store, cheap to do, and oh god the waste in having to throw it away later. Wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 2:10:37 AM PDT
I really agree there,that you should be able to sell it back,for cheaper than you bought it,so amazon can make money and we get more out of OUR money

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 2:12:43 AM PDT
no
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  51
Initial post:  Feb 12, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions