Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Mismatched ISBN

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2011 9:54:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 10, 2011 9:56:57 PM PDT
E. Watkins says:
I recently tried to trade in a book that I had purchased in the past, but it was rejected because of Mismatched ISBN. However, what I was trading in was part of a package that included trial software and a student CD. I choose the ISBN for just the book to trade in Project Management: The Managerial Process instead of the complete package Project Management wMSProject2007 CD and Student CD because I used the trial software. I have no idea why they rejected it even though it included the student cd which is a plus for the seller.

Just for reference:
Trial Software ISBN - 978-0-07-726949-4 (This is what I used)
Student CD ISBN - 978-0-07-726951-7 (This was never used)
Book ISBN - 978-0-07-340334-2 (This is what I submitted for the Trade-in)
Package ISBN - 978-0-07-742692-7 (This is what I initially bought)

The back of the book shows both ISBN's for the book and the complete package like such:
ISBN 978-0-07-340334-2
part of
ISBN 978-0-07-742692-7

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 10:13:55 AM PST
Coalchamber says:
I'm having this same problem with a biology book. Did you ever get this resolved?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 10:23:54 AM PST
E. Watkins says:
No, I just decided to keep the book.
Your reply to E. Watkins's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 10:41:53 AM PST
I have the same issue with my managerial finance book, the author, title, and edition are exactly the same, the first numbers of ISBN are the same as well except for the last 7 digits. It seems very estrange.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 8:41:39 AM PST
Daniel says:
Im having the same problem with my Exploring art book, this is just stupid and if they dont fix this im quiting amazon, they need to care about their costumers

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 12:12:35 PM PST
Is there a reason you all can't sell your books in the Marketplace, if you're so upset with the third-party vendor handling the trade-in program? That's what I do, when I have even a trace of doubt about the item I have being accepted for trade-in, and I usually end up with more money anyway, and it's cash. It's not like it's THAT much harder to list it and wait for it to sell, and then put it in the mail after it does.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 11:55:39 PM PDT
It's not Amazon's fault, it's the publishers. I worked at a bookstore for a long time and the publishers would do everything they could to change up the ISBN's to make it so difficult for buyback that bookstores and students would just give up and buy new. Amazon doesn't have the systems in place that bookstores do to track all the ISBNs for each package. It's super difficult for bookstores...probably almost impossible for Amazon.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 7:48:51 PM PDT
Does this have anything to do with the listing "unknown binding" I have never heard of this listing until today. I have a book on amazon and everyday I check the book listing to see if it has went up in sales numbers.Today I noticed a new listing, there were the original: paperback 9.95 Kindle 3.39 and then unknown binding 108.24 I was shocked . I called my publisher and inquired as to what this new listing was. They told me they were not sure I should contact the seller. I have tried all afternoon to find an answer to this question, any help?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 11:00:58 AM PDT
I had a "textbook" for a summer course last month that was "unknown binding". When I picked it up it was a stack of looseleaf, three hole punched, shrink wrapped in plastic. I was like WTF is this??? The answer I was given is that supposedly its cheaper and they can pass the savings on to the student. Well the book cost me $140 plus I had to buy a 3 ring binder to put it in!!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (628 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Sep 10, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions