Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Does amazon use the lowest used price to calculate how much you'll earn?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2012 8:35:31 AM PDT
Kat says:
I'm being offered $3.33 for a textbook I spent $175 on. When I bought it, $175 was the lowest price available, but now somebody's selling theirs for like $5. Is there any way for me to get more money out of this book?

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 9:30:58 AM PDT
Seller says:
try book byte

Posted on Apr 30, 2012 5:10:34 PM PDT
jd says:
This generally only happens when a new edition of the book has come out. Textbooks that are current usually hold their value fairly well. However, once a new edition comes out, the price generally drops to almost zero, since colleges generally will not use an obsolete version of a book.

Posted on May 1, 2012 11:29:13 AM PDT
And to answer your original question, no the lowest price is NOT used in determining the offered amount through the trade-in program, nor does Amazon set the offered amount. Third-party vendors operate the trade-in program, in partnership with Amazon, and they set the offer price by a number of factors (supply, demand, currentness, how many copies they think they need, etc.). Sometimes the trade-in offer is the lowest price, and sometimes it isn't. It varies.

But, as jd said, it sounds like a new edition of your book was released. It's bad luck, but when it does happen and you happen to be in possession of the book at the time, there's nothing really to be done about it. Generally, books won't decline in value too terribly much in one semester without a new update being released, so a loss of almost all the value is a key indicator. You aren't likely to get too much more than the very low prices you see, unfortunately, no matter where you look. Sorry.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Apr 30, 2012
Latest post:  May 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions