Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Is it OK if I used it to nudge several people towards Death Valley with it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2626-2650 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 7, 2012 6:15:08 AM PDT
CJ says:
What....what is this place? How did I get here from selling back Cecil Medicine? Why can't I stop reading?

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE!?!?!

Posted on May 7, 2012 2:22:22 PM PDT
We're The Club That Shall Not Be Named! We all got here like an episode of Lost and never found our way out. We keep crossing the dimension of real life to occasionally get sucked back into cyberspace where we embark on zany adventures or share what's been happening in real life. Feel free to drop in any time and enjoy the revisited stories we've been posting. (None of them have anything about buying back textbooks anymore...they revolve around using textbooks to...shall we say...Keep others in line? Nudge nudge, wink wink).
TTFN, (take time for nudging)
Jennifer

Posted on May 7, 2012 11:20:18 PM PDT
thriftypb says:
Hi, Stephanie---or is that really CURT?!? <DUNdunDUNdunDUUUUUN!> Yes, we at TCTSNBN have our ways of finding things out, you see. <evil laugh...well more of a giggle>

Actually, I checked out your reviews (I'm easily distractible as well as nosey) and up-voted you (my goodness, the critics are tough out there!), and I am sorry you got such lousy tasting ladybugs. But that's why the review sections are so helpful; I now know to avoid that brand.

This is the hip place to be, as you have discovered. We are actually at about the second anniversary of this unique gathering place. And I am glad to have met the interesting, kind, clever, and downright funny folks who frequent here.
Feel free to drop in any time to see what's shaking. (just reread Jenn's post and saw that I'm plagiarizing, but I'm ok with that.) If you have the inclination to stick around, you are welcome; jump in and post about anything real or add to our less than real storyline, which gets bursts of continuation whenever someone gets an inkling and some energy. Or you can always lurk! Oh, and if you do stick around, you should hang on to that Cecil Medicine volume, esp.if it has good grip as well as heft.

I didn't think it was possible to summarize things better than we have in the past, but...Jenn nails it! Really nice explanation.
pb
Your reply to thriftypb's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 6:21:01 AM PDT
CJ says:
Thanks for the tutorial - I will lurk. Rarely seen, but always watching....allllllwaaaayyyyysss..... (creepy whisper fade-out).

Never could bring myself to sell Cecil - it's got these pointy edges, see, and it's balanced ever so perfectly. Practically sings when I wield it. The literary equivalent of Glamdring, in the hands of Peregrin Took.

Please, as you were, master bards.

Posted on May 8, 2012 9:23:57 AM PDT
<Stephanie, you really DO fit in with us! Welcome. Good thinking holding on to Cecil, sounds like a winning nudge device. Commence lurking!
PB...Plagiarizing Babe (hey, you admitted it, right?), thanks for your kind words. It was well said. I'm also glad to have met everyone and share in the fun here. Hard to believe we've been popping in and out of here for almost two years!
Well, I wish I could post more, but I feel the vortex pulling me back to the real life side of the dimension. But in the great words of Arnold...I'll be back!>

Jenn

Posted on May 10, 2012 6:25:20 PM PDT
<Wow have I had a long day. I just have one thing to compare it to...This pretty well sums it up! Hope the rest of you are fine. Time to go back now....>

Jenn

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:00:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 10:04:02 PM PDT
thriftypb says:
<Awwww...it'll be ok, Jenn! Sounds like you might just need to TTFN!

I'm pb, too--but I have no underage exhaustion enhancers around these days! Altho it was probably other enhancers giving you a long day, it seems appropriate to wish you--and all the other moms out there--a Happy Mother's Day!!>

Posted on May 10, 2012 10:26:54 PM PDT
CJ says:
Simulated code test today. Your professor is your pretend "patient," and you are the head of a team of 5 charged with the task of keeping your "patient" alive. Your patient says, "blood pressure just dropped to 60/40, what do you do?" You shout out what medication you inject. Your patient says, "that didn't work! Going into hypovolemic shock! What do you do?" You shout out the next step. Your patient will inevitably buy the farm, but you're expected to know every step that could possibly keep them alive. Very "Kobayashi Maru."

Ambled into the test room with my team. Dr. M---- waiting expectantly - until his eyes dropped to my hand, which was carrying Cecil Medicine. "This is a closed-note test," said he.

"Oh, I'm not using this for the test...just had it handy."

Dr. M---- eyes me warily, then begins.

His questions are slow at first, and relatively benign. But I can see his heart monitor in my head, gradually teetering on the edge of collapse.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

Soon, his questions turn ugly - and I know he's only circling the drain. We dance the dance for a few more minutes, but the heart monitor in my head starts beeping loudly, urgently.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

I know Dr. M---- won't walk out of here - not with his oxygen saturation where it is; not with a complete non-response to defibrillation.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

Dr. M---- looks at me expectantly - and sees Cecil Medicine hanging heavily in my business hand. The question on his lips never concludes: "What are you - "

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Time of nudge: 11:54 AM EST. Godspeed, Professor.

Posted on May 10, 2012 10:43:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 1:21:50 AM PDT
thriftypb says:
<Excellent medical news article, Stephanie.
I really did LOL--at the last line most especially!>
pb

P.S. Just looked up Kobayashi Maru, and --hey!-- like Kirk, you found an inventive solution!! Alleged solution, that is.

Posted on May 11, 2012 6:18:59 PM PDT
PB,
You are Positively Bodacious! I love you. Really. Thanks for your post, it made me smile! I have almost recovered from yesterday's fifth grade field trip around downtown Memphis. I was a chaperone so that I could have that special adventure with my youngest daughter who is turning 11 on Monday. She "graduates" elementary school in a few more days as well. Sigh...my babies are all growing up! (I'm not sure if I'm sighing in relief or whistfulness. haha, both I guess!) And my little man is graduating kindergarten. He's quite a little cutie and has about four "girlfriends". The best one gave him his first kiss this week. She made the first move...bold little thing! lol
Then apparently they held hands a little as well. (this was after school dismissed and they started walking outside...they both walk home from school). Thank heaven some over zealous adult didn't see and call the cops on such childhood innocence!! I told him he couldn't do that anymore, of course, because he could get in trouble. (when I was a kid it was no big deal. Nowadays six year-olds get handcuffed and charged with sexual harassment for it!)
Happy Mother's Day to everyone. TTFN!
Jenn

Posted on May 11, 2012 6:39:00 PM PDT
Stephanie,
Nice post! You are a welcome addition here. Glad you got lost in cyberspace and ended up here with us! I like your style. And now I know a little more Trekkie knowledge. Hey, I wonder if I can order tribbles for my kids to play with?... Nah, might be too dangerous!

Live long and prosper,
Jenn

Posted on May 11, 2012 7:22:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 7:33:20 PM PDT
"Hello madam. I'm with Book Bash. We're a local door-to-door sales company. Might I take some of your time today?"

"I don't know, how much are you willing to pay me per minute?" I asked matter-of-factly.

"Pardon me?" the greaseball wearing the undersized dirt brown suit asked.

"I'm a mother of four, my time is limited and precious. Go bother someone else," I said as I tried to close the door.

A foot stopped the door from closing all the way.

"I won't go away until you at least look at my catalog and see what my company has to offer." He held out a catalog the size of a Webster's unabridged dictionary. "It will only take a few minutes." He grinned like a Cheshire cat.

"Fine. But make it quick. My kids will be home from school in a few minutes and all chaos will break loose. By the way, I didn't get your name?"

"It's William Harass."

"William Harris?" I repeated.

"No, William Harass. My friends just call me Will." He grinned again, as if he was sure he'd make a sale with me. But I'm from TCTSNBN. He had underestimated his opponent.

"May I offer you a cup of tea?" I asked ever so politely.

"Oh...well, yes, thank you." By the perplexed look on his face, my kindness had caught him off guard.

I returned a few minutes later with a tea tray and accompaniments. I sat the tray on the coffee table.

"Would you like sugar?" I asked.

"Yes please." He held out his cup.

"One lump, or two?" I replied, hoping he didn't see the gleem in my eyes.

"Three please. I like my tea sweet." He winked.

In the blink of an eye, I reached for the stack of books next to the tea tray.

Looked like Will would be changing his nickname to Won't.

Posted on May 12, 2012 1:31:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 1:32:30 AM PDT
thriftypb says:
How much are you willing to pay me per minute!
William Harass!
One lump or two!!

Sweet music to my ears, er, through my eyes.
I truly looked back--twice--to see if I had read wrong and this was actually a post of Martin's.
Now, you have written many and various, funny and clever sections, but this post was quite Martinesque! (A TCTSNBN top compliment!) Bravo!
pb

Posted on May 12, 2012 3:23:36 AM PDT
R. Miller says:
Hi Jenn & Happy Mother's Day. I was Distracted by work obligations and a Queen who was making a ruckus in the history forum. Thankfully, she/he/it was removed and all is peaceful again. For now.

Posted on May 12, 2012 10:41:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 10:46:37 AM PDT
Thanks Thrifty! I actually was afraid my story was too lame, but I posted it anyway. Glad it made you laugh! And telling me it was anything as good as Martin, well that just rocks! (and how about those silly books I linked? lol, Beating a sugar addiction and sugar lumps and black eyes. hee hee! so perfect.)

Robert, glad you popped back in to say hi. Was wondering if you'd gotten too busy to join us anymore! Hope all is well.
Thanks for the Mother's day wishes!

TTFN (haha)
Jenn

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:09:03 AM PDT
tom says:
This is simply wicked!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 8:37:00 AM PDT
thriftypb says:
Indubitably.
pb

(I am having too good a time pronouncing that word.)

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:48:22 AM PDT
K. McGrath says:
<That is a fun word, PB. Take indefatigable out for a spin. It has the same multisyllabic appeal. And knowing your penchant for looking things up, a search for multisyllabic might lead you to a Wikipedia link for multisyllabic rhymes where you'll read about even more multisyllabic words. Which brings to mind a FB post from my DIL about OP or original pronunciation of Shakespearean plays... Mondays. There should be a law against them. Just sayin.>

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 9:11:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 9:12:18 AM PDT
Oh!! Now I have a new word of the day. I shall enjoy it to the fullest! Thanks pb, you're positively brilliant! :)
TTFN....indubitably! Ha
Jenn

Posted on May 14, 2012 9:15:16 AM PDT
You are brilliant too Karen, but I already sprained my tongue trying to say your word! I will thick wiff thumb thing eathier! Ow...
Jenn

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:06:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 10:21:26 AM PDT
thriftypb says:
Ok, (beware approaching transition) speaking of proununciation,
...er...make that an "h," albeit a silent one, and ixnay on the "s" (as in asssssss...).

I debated just posting the above and then running, but I must stand up to my fears, fears of a potential (read: actual), tiny, minuscule, hardly worth mentioning (and yet...), itsy bitsy <whispered--> mistake.

And you guys were nice enuf to give me a pass.
Just this morning, tho, this came into my head--after a strangely long two-week delay: Jonah, not JONAS!!!
I probably wouldn't bother to make the correction (well, I probably would...sigh) except to note the brain's powerful subconscious activity, to have kept the fact in there so long and just now to rise up and nudge me in the head with it! (with a large print King James, no doubt!)

When I first wrote about " the musical, Jonas," I remember looking at the word and thinking, "That's not right." But the need to strain my brain to come up with the, now painfully obvious, correct name of Jonah didn't occur to me, partly because I heavily rely on my brain to make necessary corrections on its own--and it usually doesn't take two weeks! Tho I take it for granted, I like how our human computers usually just pop out with the needed facts about a minute or so after a discrepancy is noticed.

Thence comes the bigger fear: is this delayed correction a sign of quickly impending doom? I do have the ongoing problem of name recall, even people I know fairly well--eek--and I play the guess-the-word game a lot, but the word does eventually come into the front of the mind, and all is well enuf. And I should be glad my mind did come up with the fix on its own; I just don't want such delays to become the norm!

Oh, and perhaps my brain was too focused on the thought of that Jonas Brother's poster, hanging, as we speak, on my daughter's bedroom wall. Understandably distracting. Now that's a logical explanation. Indubitably. (Got to say it again.)

An add-on:
A spelling mistake is something I wouldn't mind as much, (tho I would mind, just not as much!) but this was the actual wrong word, tho close. Now, tho, I am adding what I think is an example of a cute spelling mistake. (or was it...)
"hoping he didn't see the gleem in my eyes." -- Had you splattered toothpaste on yourself that morning, Jenn? <teasing grin>
If that had been written by Martin, I'm sure it would have somehow made sense that it was toothpaste!

One more add-on to that post: I just this morning relooked at your story, Jenn, and I hadn't yet clicked on the links for "stack" and "books"--oh, my, I goled (gaffawed out loud) a lot!! It read funny as is, but hysterical with the inserts!

Well, here's hoping we all REMEMBER to TTFN!
penitent babe

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:16:09 AM PDT
thriftypb says:
Hi, Karen and Jenn! I just missed you between my short and looooong posts--evidently when it comes to typing a post, I am indefatigable!
she with the positively brilliant friends

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:19:12 AM PDT
K. McGrath says:
Nudge not lest ye be nudged.

<I'm sure someone used that in the first edition of TCTSNBN. But I thought it was worth a replay before I tuck into the computer for, eek, work.>

TTFN <Love the hidden meaning!>

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:24:52 AM PDT
thriftypb says:
Here come da nudge! Here come da nudge! Here come d-AHHHHH!

Posted on May 14, 2012 10:50:56 AM PDT
K. McGrath says:
It was the best of nudge, it was the worst of nudge.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  179
Total posts:  2812
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 35 customers

Search Customer Discussions