Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Textbook Buy Back Scams

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2011 10:36:04 PM PDT
Cyndi says:
WARNING*** Fairbooks.com is a scam, they promise money for your used textbooks, receive them, sell them, and avoid paying you for your books***This is stealing** Warning- Students Beware

Posted on Jul 29, 2011 7:30:41 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2011 8:32:27 PM PDT
MLIS2012 says:
What does your review have to do with Amazon.com? Have you posted it at the site you are trashing? Have you reported them to the Better Business Bureau?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 10:27:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011 10:29:13 AM PDT
A. Fotos says:
Fairbook.com is a scam. They sent me a check for $6.70 and it was sent back from my bank for NSF's and I was charged and extra $10.00 from the bank. They will not return emails or phone calls. I made a complaint with the BBB in SC. I waited 3 months for that check and it was no good. ABE books out of Ohio and amazon.com trade in a much better. they pay within one week and are easy to deal with.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 6:37:01 PM PST
MATT ROBERTS says:
beware thieves
Sent school textbooks to them and the item locator shows that they receive them. Waited two weeks no money.....sent emails and called but nothing. :( very unhappy. Don't know how they are still on line or even still getting away with it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 7:04:43 PM PST
J. Feretzis says:
I just went through this scam promising to pay over its price.
It is very unsettling and gives Amazon a bad name.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2012 3:19:16 PM PST
radiofreak says:
right!!I also send them books which they never paid me for. Seems they are selling textbooks here on Amazon and using this site as a fence. I have contact the Sherriff,s dept in Greenville, SC and also the USPS. My next step is to contact customer services here at amazon and complain about these two guys who have ripped off many people out of monies and books. c nelson

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2012 2:04:23 PM PST
MJ says:
Fairbook.com is a third-party vendor. They are listed through Amazon. Amazon, and customers need to be aware of this lousy company.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 9:50:49 AM PST
Fidel Medina says:
I am going to take this guy to court and do justice for everyone!! fair books has been scamming hundreds of people for a long time already! I will fo justice for you my friends!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 11:41:28 PM PST
I got you back holmes.

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 11:27:27 AM PST
MMar says:
I would encourage anyone that has had problems with Fairbooks.com to file a mail fraud complaint with the US Post Office. The complaint is relatively simple and only takes a few minutes to complete. If it turns out there are many people that have had issues with this business and file complaints, an investigation may take place. And, if it turns out Fairbooks.com is not legitimate, hopefully something will be done.

This is a link to the complaint- https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MailFraudComplaint.aspx

The contact info I have for them is:
Fairbooks.com
1521 Laurens Rd. Unit 500
Greenville, SC 29606-1002

1-800-773-1677

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 4:59:20 AM PST
radiofreak says:
that number seems useless since theydo NOT answer phones and its only a voicemail. i am calling the USPS in Greenville, sc today and asking what is happening with this company of thugs also filing a complaint.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 12:01:12 PM PST
TUMBLEWEED says:
Way to go...p0st update on outcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 1:55:01 PM PST
T.S. Ward says:
S. Smith why are you even posting here?

Cyndi's review has EVERYTHING to do with Amazon. People looking to sell back their textbooks are likely to compare prices and when they see better prices on Fairbooks they will resell on Fairbooks instead of Amazon. All of that aside, it's a helpful post. Your post is not useful. You also suggest something as ridiculous when you say "Have you posted it at the site you are trashing." Do you really believe scam sites allow anyone to post negative feedback?

Thank you Cyndi.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 7:18:48 PM PST
Soggy Bottom says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 3:42:48 PM PDT
I contacted both Amazon and the independent site that showed Fairbooks as one of the potential buyers for my textbooks. I sent them the details of my situation (they got my books and didn't pay) and I also posted links to three other sites where frustrated and screwed over people were posting about their troubles with Fairbooks.

I included the link to the reporting page of the Better Business Bureau of SC that was bursting with negative reports.

I impressed upon Amazon and the other site that they were tacitly endorsing Fairbooks by continuing to list them as a reputable buyer and (in the case of amazon) allowing them to remain marketplace vendors on the Amazon site. I got lovely emails from Amazon and the other site saying they would look into the situation as they understood that Fairbooks was now hurting their reputations as well as their own.

Happily in less than a week, I received my check. Like magic. Go figure :)

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 10:56:28 PM PDT
Denni says:
I have found Amazon customer service to be very proactive dealing with problem book deals. My complaints have been much smaller than the above, so everyone who experiences issues with Fairbooks.com should report them to Amazon IMMEDIATELY and I suspect the will soon find themselves banned here.

Kudos for reporting to the other agencies also, these people need to understand that they are not invisible just because the scam online and not face to face.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (598 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Jul 27, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions