Customer Discussions > Textbook Buyback forum

Is this a scam? Where are my books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 247 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 25, 2010 3:09:43 PM PDT
My items were received (by the merchant) on the 20th May, even though the delivery confirmation said it was delivered since the the 17th May. On the 21st I received a gift card for 1 of the 17 books I posted (in the same box). To date, my the remaining 16 books are listed as "Not received."

Anyone knows what's up with this? I will never use this service again.

Posted on May 25, 2010 3:20:03 PM PDT
Duckie says:
I just tried send four of my books back and they declined them all. One of the books was in almost perfect condition, used only once, no markings or anything. I would consider it like new for sure, and they still didn't take it.. saying it wasn't in good condition. Liars... grr. The other books were also in good to very good condition. They must only take brand new shiny books.. I just really don't understand it at all. All the books were in good condition. They better return them to me or I will be calling to complain. I paid almost $200 for the books when I bought them myself. I'm beginning to think they the book trade in is a scam. I'm never sending in anything again, and telling everyone I know to never trade in either.

Posted on May 26, 2010 6:32:30 PM PDT
T. Bullard says:
Mine was delievered on Monday the 24th (shipped the 15th) and the page says not received. I have written Amazon several times and they say don't worry. Trouble is I have a bad feeling about this. The book I sent was new, I dropped the class and never used it.

Posted on May 26, 2010 9:23:35 PM PDT
Alexandra says:
I totally agree with you. I sent in a book in great condition, and in the buy-back page it says returned due to damaged cover (what the....), but I still haven't received my book back...

Posted on May 27, 2010 2:29:51 AM PDT
Wow, I have the same issue! My shipment was received on the 24th but it never registered on the site, now it sys that my trade in has expired. Amazon didn't have my shipping info anymore and I was told not to worry and give it another day. I will be calling again today to get his resolved! I'm so disappointed right now and hope this isn't a scam...

Posted on May 27, 2010 11:57:22 AM PDT
yea, this is unbearable. Apparently the NorAm Int'l is the third party merchant. The company's profile is less than stellar. It's very small actually. And they dont work on the weekends. Keep calling http://amazon.com, this merchant is making ruining amazon's rep.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 1:26:13 PM PDT
B. Carey says:
One of my textbooks was rejected too because it was "damaged," but it wasn't damaged at all.

The criteria for textbooks is as follows: "Items must be in good condition and arrive complete with all elements undamaged and in original packaging. For textbooks, this includes the cover, pages, binding, and any associated media. . . . Additionally, for textbooks, items may contain highlighting, notes, or other markings with the exception of study guides and workbooks, which must not have any answers filled in. The books should be generally clean in appearance with no torn or missing pages and the cover must be in good condition. Books should not have any water damage (e.g., wavy, discolored or swollen pages). If the book was issued with CD-ROMs, all CD-ROMs must be included."

My book, which was denied, meets all of that criteria. Very annoying.

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:37:50 PM PDT
Alexandra says:
OMG after commenting on this before...I received my book back and I have something even worse to say! I swear they even DAMAGED my book cover. It was crisp and shiny when I sent it to them, now it's dull and the edges are kind of worn out. My book did not look like this when I sent it to them. SO WORD OF ADVICE: DON'T DO IT, cause then when they do reject your books for some stupid reason, they'll be worth less.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 8:40:14 PM PDT
Alexandra says:
I know...even in my school when they buy back the backs, they say that...but they'll give you money for them anyway. On the other hand, it's like with Amazon, they actually have someone meticulously scrutinize the book or something because they're looking for something they could pass off as brand new and not "used."

Posted on May 28, 2010 8:32:10 AM PDT
I am still waiting for word about my sell back books. Six bran new books mailed on the 14th of May. I paid for my shipping to garentee they would get there. Where are my books please.

Posted on May 28, 2010 10:19:21 AM PDT
Farmer Joe says:
Hey you guys should check out RentScouter.com where they allow users to leave comments about buyback companies - share your experiences to help other people avoid problems. I use them to find the best price for the books I'm selling, and I see today they are showing the Better Business Bureau rankings for companies - now I see why I was having issues with some of the companies - never again !

Posted on May 28, 2010 11:21:20 AM PDT
Ned K. Wynn says:
This sounds as though Amazon got into this side business without really thinking it through and vetting the 3rd parties properly. I know that for as long as I have been a customer of Amazon they've always been very straight with me and have always made things right. However, this looks and sounds very wrong considering all the trouble your folks have been going through. I think you need to keep dunning Amazon with emails and phone calls. Eventually they will wake up and fix it. I don't think they will leave their loyal customers twisting in the wind like this. I'd be supremely disappointed in them if they did.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2010 11:27:39 AM PDT
Extremely disappointed, Ned... Continue to inundate amazon with calls. This third party merchant is a waste. I sent three boxes (ec with at least 15 books) over a period of three days thinking that this service was efficient... Now i feel f**ked.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2010 2:39:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2010 2:44:07 AM PDT
Eric Allen says:
Maybe they kept your book one that are in better condition and returned a book to you that are poor condition claiming that this book was one that you sent to them so they don't have to pay you. That's what it looks like to me... A SCAM.

Posted on May 29, 2010 5:38:19 AM PDT
I traded in 16 items (books, dvds and PS3 game) and had no issues at all. Got full credit for all of the items and it took about a week.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2010 6:09:06 AM PDT
Shawn a week from when they received it? Or when they marked it received? I'm just concerned because I would like nothing more than my items to be accepted. The problem is the recipient never acknowledged the delivery and my items expired...

Posted on May 29, 2010 6:19:52 AM PDT
This is a big rip-off! I got my gift card and then they tell you it has to be used in the trade in store. Guess what's in the trade in store. A few video games and more text books no one else wants! The trade in store is a total rip-off. I feel like they stole my books. I gave the credit to my nephew for videos! I will never use this service again!

Posted on May 29, 2010 7:09:03 AM PDT
L. M. Furlet says:
I've sent in six shipments of books in the last two months, and other than UPS not marking something as delivered (I put a tracer on it), I have had no problems. Even the "undelivered" package eventually got accepted, and I received Amazon gift certificate credit for everything. Except for that one shipment, it took about a week between my taking the box to UPS and the deposit of the gift certificate. BTW, you do not have to use the gift certificate in the trade-in store. I've spent all of my gift funds on Kindle books without a hitch.

Posted on May 29, 2010 7:14:20 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 29, 2010 7:15:35 AM PDT]

Posted on May 29, 2010 7:15:25 AM PDT
GLOW says:
I have not had any problems with Amazon trade-in; I have used the service more than once. It takes about a week for your items to arrive and about a week for you to receive gift credits. It may say that your trade-in has expired, but you should ignore the message if you have already shipped your items. The items I have traded in all looked pretty new. If your book has water damage or the cover or back is damaged in some way or if there is a CD that is suppose to come with your book, but you do not have it; I doubt Amazon will accept the book. If the DVD or game is all scratched up I doubt they'll accept it. However, if your items were in good condition, and Amazon did not accept them, I would just call or e-mail Amazon about it.

Posted on May 29, 2010 7:26:56 AM PDT
I received my gift card a week from when I sent the package. I shipped it Saturday from FL and received my gift card that next weekend.

Posted on May 29, 2010 10:50:40 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010 6:41:34 AM PDT
It is stated explicitly that payment is made in the from of gift cards.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2010 8:11:29 AM PDT
Zeyphr says:
you can use it for anything on amazon... fail.

Posted on May 30, 2010 9:14:18 AM PDT
Lady O"Deda says:
After reading everyone's post, I became skeptical about sending in my books as a trade. I searched the BBB page and the company has had some complaints in the past. They do not appear to be a reputable trust and I am not so sure if I believe the so call good post, it also may be a scammer.

I am believing Amazon is a part of the scam and would not be surprised if this is not one of their side company to get books back at the poor students cost. Perhaps this should be reported to Washington and let the President know what is going on with the students and their books. They are no better than Bernard Madoff.

Sorry for all who have been dupped but your experience and telling it will help many more if they just take time to read and search before taking actions to send in books. Thanks to all.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook Buyback forum (599 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook Buyback forum
Participants:  179
Total posts:  247
Initial post:  May 25, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions