Customer Discussions > Textbook forum

Beware - Textbook Rental Scam

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 91 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 13, 2013 7:19:19 PM PST
I returned the textbook I rented (which was a lousy text anyway) and am being charged four times what a used (the one I rented was used) one would cost in addition to the rental fee because Amazon claims to never have received it when I returned it. DON'T RENT TEXTBOOKS FROM AMAZON!!! It's much cheaper to buy them!

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 5:54:36 AM PST
I agree, my credit card was charged 200 for my book. They will not extend the rental or accept the book back, nor was I notified that I wold be charged this much if the book was not returned on time. I thought they did an automatic extension and was told I was going to get a late fee, not be charged 200 for cost of rental and book. Matthew B at Amazon was very rude and not helpful. They obviously do not care about return customers or customer satisfaction. I was more then willing to pay to rent the book for this semester as well, but they would not do it. DO NOT RENT FROM AMAZON!

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 12:36:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 1, 2013 8:16:09 AM PDT
Lara Meeks says:
Amazon, masking under the lie that they have other vendors that are renting out the text books. But the books are shipped from amazon and sold at amazon. They are renting used books, then charge you more than the price they sell the books for on Amazon, if you forget to return the book. This is beyond a rip off and not fair. I could have bought the books new on Amazon for less than what I was charged for the used book I was swindled into purchasing. We should open a class action lawsuit. Something is just not right about this. This is a scam.

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 10:17:04 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:09:00 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2013 10:19:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:09:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2013 2:39:58 PM PDT
Z says:
I think the shipping carrier (USPS? I guess... because my rental return was delivered by them) should be responsible for paying Amazon the money, unless they really did their job of delivering your book. Did you contact the carrier and talk to them about your problem? I don't know how much you were overcharged, but you should get your money back if it wasn't your fault.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2013 10:18:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:09:13 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 29, 2013 9:59:55 AM PDT
The same thing just happened to me. This is so disgusting that Amazon has decided to rip-off students in a particularly difficult economic situation. I rented two books from them and returned them more than three weeks before the due date. I am still being charged because Amazon is claiming that they haven't received the books. What a shame!!! I will no longer rent or buy from Amazon, and will spread the word throughout my school.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2013 11:23:08 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:09:18 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 2:12:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 1, 2013 2:13:14 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 2:13:32 AM PDT
I just rented from Amazon (RentU) and I returned it a month ago. I'm getting notifications that it is going to be due soon, even though I sent it back using the shipping label THEY provided. I'm worried they're going to try and pull the same thing over me. I have receipts from when I sent the package, but they don't even have any email or way of contacting them about it.

What should I do?

Posted on Jul 1, 2013 7:55:03 AM PDT
drgnfli6420 says:
Call customer service. Help pages contact us. Textbook rental only available by phone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2013 10:29:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:10:25 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 11:43:07 AM PDT
I highly recommend that Students DON'T RENT from either APEX Media or RENTU via AMAZON, my daughter rented from both, within 6 mths she forgot about it and it's easy to not check email when it's the summertime and you already get lots of junk mail. They count on this!! And they count on you not reading the fine print. And the cost of anything going wrong is approx 4 times the "NEW" price of the books and these were used to begin with. A very very EXPENSIVE mistake for already POOR students. My message is simple - a few dollars saved at the beginning will cost VERY BIG in the end if anything goes wrong!! Don't do it - it's NOT a good financial decision. I also think it's a poor decision on AMAZON part too.. This will hurt their future, students burned from this will always think poorly of them too (that's what happens when you associate with this type of company)... and these students have many years left of purchasing power.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 10:48:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2013 10:51:09 AM PDT
HappyCamper says:
DON'T RENT BOOK S FROM AMAZON. I WAS TOLD THAT THEY SENT 20 EMAILS reminders (which I highly doubt) but i did not receive not one...not in my inbox not in my spam. I ask ed them to send me copies of the messages And was told they could not. Now I learn that their policy is that there is nothing you can do to get your money back AFTER theyve taken the money out of you rep account. The customer rep told me that messages were sent to me every other day. Did I mention I have not seen one message?! So nOw I am out over 300 dollars and my account is overdrawn not including penalties. Another WORD OF ADVICE, don't use your debit card! !!!!!!! There is something very shady going on here and its beyond bait and switch. I am working with my bank to investigate this and will be filing a formal complaint with my state's attorney general office. I may never see this money again. But I guarantee that neither will Amazon. This third party alternate sales contracts with invisible fine print and suspicious limited email documentation practices is a ponsy scheme.

Posted on Aug 5, 2013 10:23:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 5, 2013 10:26:36 AM PDT
C. Cullins says:
Agreed 100% - book returned, they claim it was not. They charged over 150 more than what the textbook would have been brand new. THIS is a huge set up and they are taKing advantage of financially desperate students. They must feel good to know they are taking advantage of single moms working two jobs and going to school full time. I am so frustrated and let down. DO NOT RENT BOOKS FROM AMAZON - IT IS A SCAM.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2013 12:54:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:09:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 11:45:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2013 12:20:59 PM PDT
In all honesty, while I can't comment on renting books from Amazon, it sounds like your daughter has a long way to go in learning responsibility. She's an adult now. There's no excuse for "forgetting" about renting textbooks and not checking e-mails because she "get[s] lots of junk mail." So does everyone else. Yet, when we know we have important messages come to our in-boxes, we still check our e-mail regularly. It sounds to me like you're taking your anger out at Amazon because you don't have it in you to be mad at your daughter, who just went through a great learning experience for real life, where there can be heavy consequences for forgetting about important things. It's kind of like many of the complaints on the complaintboard website posted above, where people somehow get it into their head that it's someone else's fault that they didn't take proper responsibility for the known risks and buy insurance and so on.

Now I'm curious, and maybe someone here can tell me. Was there some reason that tracking and insurance couldn't be added to the return package? I've done that with things with prepaid labels before, just attaching them to the package right along with the original label. Many companies like to issue prepaid labels to make returns without including any type of tracking or anything, and it always makes me nervous taking their word for it, so I go a little over their heads and protect my own interests a bit more.

But, in any case, this whole thread in a nutshell is why I don't rent textbooks. I have heard so many horror stories about every single major online textbook rental place, it just isn't worth it. Everybody loves them and sings their praises, until something goes wrong, and then it tends to go really wrong. I'd rather just buy a highly discounted used copy from someone for about the same amount of money and resell it later. It leaves a heck of a lot less to chance. The fact I've had packages go lost with every major carrier doesn't help my confidence in making such a costly gamble either.

I'm sorry you're all in this position, but I would be careful what you call a scam. Amazon knows better, or they wouldn't have been in business this long. I guarantee that these policies are clearly in writing somewhere, and are fully legal. It seems, like with the trade-in program, you are in fact dealing with a third-party merchant that they contracted with (based on what some have said), in which case, just like with that program, you need to reach out to Amazon when something goes wrong. The policies of that program are in writing too, but the deal with the third-party merchant has strict standards as well, as it turns out. Companies don't get to sign on to do business with Amazon without agreeing to some pretty strict standards, and this doesn't really sound like something Amazon would support, given their track record on other fronts. So, I'm confused now. But, again, like with that program, a lot will depend on getting the right customer service person on the line. That'd be my guess anyway.

Posted on Aug 15, 2013 4:08:38 PM PDT
Dead says:
What is all this about "FOUR TIMES" the cost? I've read through the various terms and what have you, and every single thing I see tells me that an un-returned or damaged book will cost you...the price of purchase. Is this simply not true? Where and how are you being charged four times the cost of your book? Where is the scam? How is this rental system scamming you into paying more than what would normally be the price of your book in the first place?

I apologize if I'm coming off as some kind of blind amazon white knight, I know how frustrating it is to deal with shady business practices. But everyone here is so clearly (and not surprisingly) angry about their situation that it's hard to separate fact from exaggeration.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2013 4:40:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:09:30 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2013 4:53:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:09:35 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2013 11:41:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2013 1:49:37 AM PDT
Did I personally attack you? No? Okay then.

Someone is obviously a bit touchy on the subject of their righteous indignation/outrage.

Read what you said over again, very carefully, then read what I said, and the several posts above that I was responding to. The context in which the word "scam" is generally being used in this thread (in implying something illegal, legally questionable, actionable, or as a deliberate fraud or misrepresentation) is abundantly clear to me, and that is the context in which I addressed the point. Nice try though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2013 3:04:20 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 24, 2013 12:24:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2013 12:20:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 11:49:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 22, 2013 2:44:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 23, 2013 3:09:44 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook forum (102 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  91
Initial post:  Jan 13, 2013
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions