Customer Discussions > Textbook forum

How can you tell from the listing if you suspect it's an international edition?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 8:48:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:49:58 AM PDT
V. Hartman says:
This post refers specifically to Amazon's main listing for "Extreme Weather & Climate" (Ahrens).
I can't tell for sure from the description, but the edition listed is 1, and my class book list says I need edition 11. When I look at listings on Ebay, the international edition is listed as edition 1, and so I raise the question: Is Amazon selling the American or knock-off International version? Anybody know? How can I tell for sure from the Amazon listing, or can I? My suspicions are such that I hesitate to buy.
PS: ISBNs are identical.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:14:26 AM PDT
Well, Amazon has a specific policy against selling international editions, so if they were doing so, that'd be ironic at best. Marketplace sellers are a different story, of course, as many don't know or simply don't care about the rule. Amazon itself should always be "safe" on that front though. Personally, I'd check all the available info carefully, use the look inside the book feature if there is one (paying special attention to printing location and such, as the book data pages are almost always in the preview), and if everything looked legit, I'd assume the edition number was a typo and buy it. With the return policy here, you can always return it if you need to, and report to them that they're selling an international edition. Even Amazon's database is wrong on its data sometimes, and actually far more often than most people think.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook forum (95 discussions)

ARRAY(0x9b80c7ec)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions