Customer Discussions > Textbook forum

Never buy school textbooks. Download them to your reading device or computer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2012 4:41:34 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 6:00:17 PM PST
Adam S. says:
Careful, this is an obvious scam!

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 6:23:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2012 6:24:09 PM PST
Well, either a scam, or illegal disbursing of copyrighted material. Perhaps even a mixure of both.

There's simply no way they bought unlimited distribution rights from all the publishers of over 3 million textbooks. Logically, it just doesn't compute. A start-up company wouldn't have the tens of millions of dollars that would cost (at a bare minimum, but more likely at least hundreds of millions for "unlimited distribution rights"), and a small registration fee (I think a Google search showed it was $49.95) would never cover that cost either, let alone leave a profit left over.

More like "give us your credit card or other payment info, and we'll see how much money we can scam from people before we're shut down".

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 1:48:24 PM PST
Azrael says:
Checking if this site is a scam is as simple as going to the website and searching for the book "www.TouchTextbooks.com is a scam." See what pops up as available :P

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2012 7:25:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 7:26:27 PM PST
MR star says:
Ok, I checked it out. It looked legit. Only about $50 after everything. Or so I thought. What I now know is, Costs have a way of pyramiding, and you don't get what you expect.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 10:08:11 PM PST
The Saylor Foundation offers free Open Source Textbooks. There's not many now, but they're paying $20,000 for the best ones. Also, although not complete textbooks, they have many free courses in which all the lectures are free to print or read online. www dot saylor dot org

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 2:32:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 2:33:33 PM PST
A. Sturzl says:
Site reeks of a scam. They claim to have 3 million books in stock but don't offer a list of books in stock? They say you can search for "any title" and they are sure to have it. Wow, they had a book titled "asdf doobie line fake book" Available now for download [only $49.99]!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 9:05:59 PM PST
that would be illegal

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 2:48:17 PM PDT
Koala says:
Wow, that's the exact book my professor is using!

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 7:09:47 AM PDT
Marie Rodela says:
I love my Kindle books. Only problem in class is the teacher will say, "Turn to page....." and I'm lost. Still rather have the Kindle books.

Posted on Apr 9, 2012 7:37:38 AM PDT
Migaluchi says:
folks...be a bit careful about kindle books...many of them...have a limited number of times you can copy and paste when you require notes...i ran into this on one cheapie...and even the author didnt really know about this 'automatic' restriction...if you really need to buy one of these...i suggest you contact the publisher to uncover the truth...and they might be...shall we say...hesitant...about divulging this little known secret

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 5:29:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2012 9:19:27 PM PDT
My due diligence: As of today Touchtextbooks.info seems to be offline. WHOIS reveals a Woodstock, GA address with a Florida phone number. Google Maps shows a house at the end of a cul-de-sac in a subdivision. If "Jose" is a real person perhaps he would care to explain why he feels the need to spam Amazon for his website's products.

Added 4/28--
I found that Touchtextbooks.com is identical to Touchtextbooks.info, and Touchtextbooks.com is registered to a Protected Domain Services PO Box from Denver. In my experience whenever a domain registrar (website registration company) hides the contact information, there is something fishy going on. Also, whatever you enter into the search box in both sites - for me it was "Rules for Radicals Saul Alinsky" and "Theodore Kaczynski Bernie Madoff" - will always come back as available for download.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 9:04:17 AM PDT
such a scam. Out of curiosity as I would rather have a book in front of me then an electronic book (I study better that way) I typed in such a scam in the search block. what do you know it is in stock and ready to download!! Imagine that!! So I tried again...Typed My Cat licks furballs...and again in stock!! Lets try one more time...typed in zappa zappa dooo da. and yup they got it. amazing!

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 3:31:45 AM PDT
Tracy F. says:
We made a mistake buying two Kindle textbooks only to find out when we went back and read the fine print that those textbooks only work with the Kindle Fire or a PC. I gifted them to my son, so the best he can get is Amazon credit, but Amazon was sold out of both and only had Kindle versions left, we would have preferred just to have my charge reversed. Given that, make sure you read everything before doing any Kindle textbooks.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 10:09:24 PM PDT
M. Kim says:
There are many sites which compare price of ebook/e-textbook and book. I got 80% of my course books online via amazon and coursesmart & saved approx 35% compare to used books. Both are working fine on my tablet and helpful in reading & notes preparation. It is instant and no problem of rental, resale etc. only one needs good pc or tablet with software for easy reading....
thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Textbook forum (104 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions