Customer Discussions > Textbook forum

Textbook Marketplace?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 4, 2010 12:05:22 PM PDT
D. Tournear says:
I am looking to sell some of the textbooks back, most are in very good condition. I want to use that money to buy some of next semester's books, which is the better way...the marketplace or textbook buyback?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 12:56:09 AM PDT
Thomas Rates says:
Depends on how fast you need the books for next semester and where you intend on purchasing them. The Amazon buyback limits you to buying from Amazon. Marketplace takes time, but you never know how long unless you're selling in the height of back to school season. So do you want to be limited to purchasing your books only from Amazon? Because there are other websites which may offer more money and actually send you a check or credit your PayPal account with CASH. I'm not too familiar with Amazon's Buy Back processing time, but I am with other sites. AbeBooks, which Amazon owns, is the fastest of all that I've used. BookByte would be second. Tried another and would not recommend any but Abe or BookByte. As I said, I don't know that much about Amazon's buyback time period for turnaround, but I'm sure there's a F.A.Q. or you could request a call to get specific and more realistic times than the times listed on the website. Another resource for you is amazonsellercentral.com seller discussion board. One other site to check out is bookfinder.com. Look for Textbook Buyback.

TR

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2010 2:55:44 PM PDT
TBR says:
We are a company that buys and sells textbooks. There are goods and bads with both. Amazon buyback will often pay more because they are so big and don't care if they lose money. You can use the gift card anywhere in the marketplace. The only problem with sending the books to another company is that the USPS (which most of us use) can be very unreliable, both for length of time to get the books to their destination and for the condition that they arrive in. ALWAYS insure your packages.

You can use a service such as Bigwords, Dealoz, and Bookscouter to see who will give the best price. Look at a company's ratings on these sites, as well as look at their ratings on Amazon as they will usually be selling on Amazon. If they aren't, don't buy from them or sell to them.

One other thing: Recently, we have been seeing more and more unscrupulous sellers selling international copies. Write anyone you are buying from online and specifically ask them if the edition they are selling is a U.S. edition or not. And remember, don't go for the cheapest version of the book.

textbookrecycling co

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 2:35:31 PM PDT
Where is your site?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010 3:03:27 AM PDT
JustAThought says:
I've had very sketchy results with Amazon's buyback setup. A third company is actually the one receiving/buying and they aren't doing nice things to Amazon's reputation. Other forum threads are full of trails of tears leading back to this option. Selling them yourself thru Amazon can be a great option (I do it all the time but starting had a learning curve ~ but you could then buy and sell for others too ...) To get a feel for how quickly the book would sell in the marketplace, scroll down to the Product Details and note the sales rank. The lower the number, the faster it will likely sell. If it's higher than 250k for a textbook, I generally seek other options lest the bottom fall out of the price before my copy sells. I have sold to eCampus and Barnes & Noble without issue. Payment takes about a month but at least they didn't play the idiotic games Amazon buyback has been. ;-p

When you go to purchase next years books, please do keep in mind Mark is 100% right about the International Editions. They give me a massive headache. If the ad doesn't clearly state it's the domestic/US version, don't assume it will be what you need. Contact the seller to be sure. Wish we could report folks listing these and get them removed, or at least moved to an appropriate listing. The ISBNs are NOT the same hence they never belong on the same listing. Buyer beware.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Textbook forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jul 4, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions