Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

authors who were CIA, Delta Force, etc.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 31, 2012 4:30:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2012 9:45:59 PM PST
Rondine says:
Can anyone recommend fiction by authors who have had experience with various 'black ops'? I would really like to read a good thriller by someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

I'm new to this genre but I'd prefer to do without excessive and gratuitous gore and sex. To me, those are the marks of a second-rate writer.

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 4:43:23 PM PST
Miss M says:
I've always liked Brain Haig's (yep-son of Al) Maj Sean Drummond stories - yeah, he's JAG aaand special ops, so perhaps some suspension of disbelief first, but they're tightly-written with snappy/sarcastic dialogue - pretty entertaining.
Believe Secret Sanctions is the first one.

LOL - or you could always check out this self-pubbed gem:
Memoirs of a US Federal Agent

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2012 5:44:54 PM PST
Wallaby says:
You would like the John Rain series written by Barry Eisler. He is ex CIA and writes very authentically. His hero is a free-lance Hit man, and there is loads of espionage and adventure in the series. John Rain, the assassin has am interesting ethic.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 9:54:27 AM PST
I recently read Ganymede - a Tale of Middle Eastern Intrigue by Terrence Douglas former CIA. Fast moving, captivating look into a CIA case officer's work as several agents turn up dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 11:12:19 PM PST
Take a look at the novels by Andy McNab, ex British SAS. As for excessive sex, I just don't remember as I read them several years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 2:23:59 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 4, 2012 2:24:07 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 3:02:07 PM PST
Day by Day: To See Thee More Clearly was well written and well researched. Don't know the author's story

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 2:41:59 PM PST
Miss M says:
Freebie today: Eternity Base (The Green Beret Series)

Saw this mentioned in another forum - self-pubbed now, but reprint of a series originally traditionally published.
From the book page: "[The author] graduated from West Point and served in the military as a Special Forces A-Team leader and a teacher at the JFK Special Warfare Center & School."

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:36:09 PM PST
Allen says:
Vince Flynn's books, fantastic!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 2:52:16 PM PST
Roger Weston says:
Hi Rondine,
Bob Mayer is ex-special forces. Check out Eyes of the Hammer.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 3:37:00 PM PST
Rondine says:
Many thanks to you who have given me suggestions. (I would welcome even more!). I'm getting started in this genre, having been a dévotée of whodunnits but now I am looking for genuine page-turners that are within the bounds of credulity.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 1:21:34 PM PST
Don't know if this matters but I had read Ganymede by Terrence Douglas a page turner false flag type Christian group's terrorist plan to attack the U.S. Why? Something the President and Congress need to consider before going to war. Intriguing to say the least, and I saw where Kirkus reviews called it - exemplary story - which was a sanity check affirming my opinion was right.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 1:36:37 PM PST
Sunchine says:
Not black ops but the mystery thriller "The Scent of Fear" is crime fiction written by an actual crime scene investigator.

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 1:40:59 PM PST
twinny says:
Try anything by Duncan Falconer, ex British SBS. ( Like Navy Seals).

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 8:47:28 AM PST
johnny says:
Author Johnny Barnes was a private detective, police officer, and swat team FBI trained hostage negotiator. www.johnnybarnes.com

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 1:39:07 PM PST
Miss M says:
Free today - fictionalized version of 173d Airborne involvement in Viet Nam from a BTDT. (Haven't read, just saw on the freebie list.)

The Blackguards

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 3:11:20 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 5:50:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 11:01:59 AM PST
Adam James says:
This guy is the real deal: Inside Delta Force: The Story of America's Elite Counterterrorist Unit by Eric L. Haney (Aug 30, 2005). Haney consulted on the TV series, The Unit. He also knew Beckwith, who started the whole thing.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 4:50:10 PM PST
Look at Oliver North and Dale Brown.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 8:00:05 PM PST
So tell us, did you ever find a good book from this discussion? If so, what was it and your opinion?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2012 8:05:12 PM PST
J. Viser says:
You might want to check out Obligation by Donald Stilwell. He is a former U.S. Marine and currently a SWAT sniper. His book is unique, very personal and takes you to a most unexpected place. I enjoyed the read, and the first several chapters brought me to tears.

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 9:46:17 AM PST
Adam James says:
HEY! I JUST GOT "OBLIGATION" by Donald Stilwell FREE ON KINDLE. Thanks for the heads-up, dude.

Posted on Mar 9, 2012 4:52:39 AM PST
NiteSprite says:
Robert Baer is an author who's ex-CIA, so his stuff is authentic, but mostly focused on espionage and non-fiction. He has a fiction novel.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 7:57:14 AM PST
Rondine says:
So far, I've found Inside Delta Force very interesting although I don't think it qualifies as a page-turner precisely. Several of the other books mentioned (Ganymede, John Rain Series, etc.) are next on my reading list.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 9:50:00 AM PST
Adam James says:
Have you read the part about the "Shooting House" yet? That's very impressive stuff.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (700 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Jan 31, 2012
Latest post:  May 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions