Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Other serial characters like Jack Reacher, Lucas Davenport, Dismas Hardy, etc

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 150 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2008 1:03:23 PM PDT
Joe doe says:
I'm looking for any additional serial characters like these. Also, I read a series about an ex-cop who lived in upper Michigan- does this ring a bell as to who the author is?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 1:52:08 PM PDT
Hiya Joe,
I can recommend a few serial characters. Dr. Sara Linton & Sheriff Jeff Tolliver (Karin Slaughter), Eve Duncan (Iris Johannsen), Maura Isles (Tess Gerritsen), Bobby Dodge (Lisa Gardner), Martin Vail (William Diehl), Ellen North (Tammy Hoag), Catherine Cat Ferry (Greg Isles), Stone Barrington (Stuart Woods), Riley Crane (Kay Hooper), Dave Robichaux (James Lee Burke), Elvis Cole & Joe Pike (Robert Crais), Sherlock & Sacs (Catherine Coulter), Rueben Montoya (Lisa Jackson), Nina Reilly (Perri O'Shaughnessy), Roger Seagraves (David Baldacci) I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 6:05:55 PM PDT
Joe doe,

I believe the series you're referring to with the ex-cop who lives in the upper peninsula of Michigan is the Alex McKnight series by Steve Hamilton. Having lived in Michigan for many years myself, I find that I really enjoy this series.

I'd like to also recommend these series with carry-over lead characters:
* Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn (start with Transfer of Power)
* Sean Drummond series by Brian Haig (start with Secret Sanction)
* Jesse Stone series by Robert B. Parker (start with Night Passage)

Happy reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2008 9:44:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2008 10:00:43 PM PDT
How about Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly-12 books starting with "The Black Echo"); Kinsey Milhone (Sue Grafton-starting with "A is for Alibi" and through the alphabet to "T" is for Trespass, so far); and as mentioned previously, the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn is great, as are all of his novels, then similiarly, see "Brad Thor" who writes in the same vein as Flynn, his hero is Scot Harvath, start with "The Lions of Lucerne". David Baldacci also has three good books with the recurring characters Michelle Maxwell & Sean King, starting with "Split Second". Thank you all. I love to find new authors! Oops, couldn't leave out the Lou Boldt/Daphne Matthews series by Ridley Pearson, starting with "Undercurrents".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2008 1:50:32 PM PDT
Joe doe says:
Thanks for the new ideas- several I've read that have repeating characters are Ethan Black, ? Bell (Hawke series), Nelson DeMille, Kyle Mills, Steve Martini and William Lashner (sp?). Thanks again

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2008 4:00:37 PM PDT
Alaska's says:
I believe you're referring to William Kent Krueger whose character is Cork O'Connor, a former sheriff.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2008 8:34:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2008 8:37:13 PM PDT
Queenvon says:
Jonathan Kellerman's character Alex Delaware; Stephen White's Alan Gregory; Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum; Lee Child's Jack Reacher; Elizabeth George's Thomas Lynley novels; M.C. Beaton's Hamish Macbeth (a Scottish Highland Constable--sort of a cozy type); Robert B. Parker's Elvis Cole; Dean Koontz's Odd series; James Patterson's Alex Cross; and John Sandford's Lucas Davenport.
I enjoy reading John Connolly, Robert Crais, Robert B. Parker, James Patterson (he has many different series out just now), and Sue Grafton.
hope you find some new goodies...I'd highly recommend the Jonathan Kellerman and Stephen White series--they are both psychologists whose character is also a psychologist involved with solving crimes and such. The John Sandford series is quite good as are the Lee Child books. Even though they are not series, I'd still recommend Harlan Coben (very clever thrillers) and Greg Isles (who has 2 or 3 in one series, but others are independent).
I also enjoyed William Lashner and Nelson DeMille (well, most of his).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2008 8:44:39 PM PDT
Queenvon says:
and on a higher plane, the Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child series with agent Pendergast. They are EXCELLLENT and rather involved and lengthy--no 'mind popcorn' they are quite good.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2008 6:53:25 PM PDT
T. kosik says:
honestly i dont see Dennis Lehane on the lists HE has Awesome serial characters Patrick kenzie, and angela Gennaro (and BUBBA) he is the guy who wrote both MYSTIC river , and GONE BaBy gone! that should keep you Busy there must be 4-5 books written by him with the same characters. (stay away from SHutter ISLAND though!! did not like that!!)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2008 2:47:28 AM PDT
If you like PI serial characters come take a look at www.sonsofspade.tk, it will give you many ideas for new series to read!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2008 12:46:03 PM PDT
Steve Hamilton - author, Alex McKnight - character.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 10, 2008 7:44:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 10, 2008 7:46:32 AM PDT
The other writers (characters) mentioned (1-11) include many excellent choices. I'd like to add three more --
Paul Levine, Laura Lippmann, and Michael McGarritty. I guess my favorite prose stylist is James Lee Burke whom someone has already included on the list.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2008 1:09:26 AM PDT
I believe you are seeking Steve Hamilton - one of my favorites. I also like all the Sharon McCrumb series, Linda Barnes, Nevada Barr, J. L. Burke, Robert Crais, Robert Parker, S. Saylor (historical mystery - Roman), W. G. Tapply, Janet Evanovich (the Stephanie Plum series because it is funny). There's also a series based in Indian territory with a female/American-Indian FBI agent and a male/American Indian cop in self-destruct mode. It's driving me crazy that I can't come up with names... and I almost forgot - Kyle Mills.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 7:50:28 AM PDT
Try new Author Conrad Jones and his book Soft Target, its the first of trilogy which is already available and is a real shocker of a story. Part two is promised before the summer but he writes about a special forces guy nicknamed Tank. Its really brilliant. well recommended!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 11:09:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2008 11:11:16 AM PDT
Joe Doe- the authors name is Ted Bell

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 4:34:14 PM PDT
Minnesota not Michigan! It is Steve Hamilton!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 4:45:36 PM PDT
Start at the top of the line and read Travis MacGee by John D. MacDonald. The finest series ever written by an American thriller writer. Then for the opposite end of the spectrum read the Parker Series by Richard Stark to see how the criminal mind thinks and works. And then read a writer who transcends everybody else and writes literature not just crime and thrillers, I speak of James Lee Burke who writes the Dave Robicheaux series. He is as close as you can get to Faulkner. Really everyone else is good but not at this level. These three are the best. Randy T.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008 8:14:26 PM PDT
Randy
No offense, but aren't they both the same, Minnesota/Michigan?
Sue in San Diego :0}

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2008 10:26:58 AM PDT
Avid Reader says:
My favorite serial character is Charlie "Bird" Parker. Check it out
http://www.thrillingdetective.com/bird.html

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2008 7:29:44 PM PDT
I see you've been given lots of recommendations for series, and I enjoy a number of those authors myself, but in looking at the characters YOU like, I would strongly recommend Robert Crais's Elvis Cole series, which begins with THE MONKEY'S RAINCOAT. It appears to me that you like characters of action, brains, and a good sense of humor. That's Elvis Cole, all right. Don't let the name put you off. Elvis and his buddy, Joe Pike, are a grade-A good time, and the series gets stronger and deeper with each book.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 8:02:38 AM PDT
Woody says:
All four of these (Bosch, Mitch Rapp, Scot Harvath and Lou Boldt/Daphne Matthews) are great, IMHO. But Harry Bosch is the best. I especially liked A Darkness More than Night.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 9:41:56 AM PDT
I could not agree more - Harry Bosch is the best!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2008 11:56:24 AM PDT
D. Wood says:
No one mentioned F. Paul Wilson's series of books with Repairman Jack. He, Lucas Davenport, Jack Reacher and Agent Pendergast are my favorite characters. Also, James Lee Burke has another recurring character in Billy Bob Holland, and then there is the David Hagberg series with Kirk McGarvy (assassin).

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2008 10:25:06 PM PDT
PokerBen says:
I would also throw in Lt. Jack Daniels series by J.A Konrath (start with Whiskey Sour) & the "In Death" series with Eve Dallas by J.D Robb (start with Naked In Death.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2008 3:41:20 AM PDT
Holy smokes... no one has yet suggested ~~~LAWRENCE BLOCK~~~ and his Matthew Scudder series. I love this series!!! He also has the Bernie Rhodenbarr series and the Keller/Hit List series; check out his website for sequences etc. Block has written non-fiction too which I'm sure is just as good as his fiction. The Scudder novels are outstanding. Start at the beginning and read them all! If you like Lucas Davenport you'll like Matt Scudder.

How about ~~~STUART KAMINSKY~~~ He has written quite a few books featuring Inspector Porfiry Rostnikov. I especially enjoyed this series as books on tape/CD as whoever it was reading was a perfect voice for the story.

~~~AARON ELKINS~~~ I just recently 'discovered' this guy but I know I'll be reading a lot of his books. First one I read was A Glancing Light. Liberal doses of wry humor and it was sneakily educational too. The main character in this one is more of 'just an average guy' than Davenport but it's written 1st person and tells his tale of misadventure perfectly...

Happy reading! I'm going to turn in now with INVISIBLE PREY. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (695 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  115
Total posts:  150
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 46 customers

Search Customer Discussions