Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Mystery Thrillers Without Vulgar or Profane Language?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 120 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2012 9:10:32 PM PST
Pauletta says:
I am unsuccessfully searching for mystery novels or medical suspense novels without profanity, swearing or sex scenes--basically G or PG rated that is of high quality content. Is there such book?

I love medical thriller's (as Michael Palmer's novels) and heart-pounding mysteries but lose all interest and end up trashing the book when profane and undesirable language or sex scenes enter the story. I am long past the days of Nancy Drew mysteries, but I wish I could find wholesome books like them! Do they exist, or am I searching in vain for such novels?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 10:50:15 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 28, 2012 11:12:20 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 28, 2012 1:22:05 PM PST
Twain says:
The books written by Balize Clement are just wonderful and charming. They are also funny.
I loved reading them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 1:43:30 PM PST
kim123 says:
I have found that you must look under Religious Fiction/Adventure to find such a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 2:12:34 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 2:26:04 PM PST
Do I have a gift for you!! Julia Spencer-Fleming's mystery novels set in upstate New York small town of Millers Kill are peopled by intelligent, fully dimensional characters that reel you in at the first book and leave you haunting the bookstores for more. Recently re-released from the opening multi-award winning In The Bleak Midwinter to the recent NY Times bestseller One Was a Soldier, this series is sharp, intelligent, peopled by adults as real as anyone you know. The humor, contemporary cultural references, challenges and relationships make this the best series I have read, and I have been reading intensively for decades! Read them in order for maximum effect, but the central stories are stand-alone. I envy you reading them for the first time!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 11:09:35 PM PST
Pauletta says:
THANK YOU! I will most definitely look into them and hopefully they will suit my tastes! :)) going to search right away.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 11:16:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2012 11:21:07 PM PST
Pauletta says:
@Mountain Granny
I disagree with you. There can be real excitement, thrilling and fun without immorality, vulgarity and obscenity...not EVERYONE experiences or lives that kind of life for your information.

Your post was most unnecessary as it offered me no help to my question but rather just a patronizing and sardonic reply.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2012 11:18:03 PM PST
Pauletta says:
@Twain. Thanks for the suggestion...will look into it! :)

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 6:23:06 AM PST
Don Wood says:
Try Richard Murphy's book The Blackguards.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 6:28:21 AM PST
Miranda731 says:
Susan Alpert's mysteries. Also Diane Mott Davidson.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 7:25:58 AM PST
Rich Lambert says:
Have you tried the book Crystal Chandelier?

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 7:33:00 AM PST
KinksRock says:
I'm almost done with The Painted Man (Sissy Sawyer Mysteries), and I don't think there's been any swearing in it. And there's certainly been no sex. But there have been violent scenes. This one actually seems more wholesome than the usual Graham Masterton novel, with emphasis on family relationships and love.

However, Graham Masterton's novels usually have sex and swearing, including the first in the Sissy Sawyer series, Touchy and Feely (Sissy Sawyer Mysteries), so I wouldn't recommend that one to you.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 8:43:56 AM PST
johnny says:
DEAD MEN TALK by Johnny Barnes (www.johnnybarnes.com) is a Boston based murder mystery with no profanity. His second novel has a bit in it and his third, DEAD ON THE INTERNET has swearing and sexual situations.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 8:51:57 AM PST
red girl says:
Eye Of The Beholder, by Lizbeth Channic, might be what you are looking for.
Keara Kelly unable to remember who she is or her past finds herself under the care of an unethical psychiatric doctor who has been using a powerful mind altering drug he has created from the peyote cactus on his criminally insane patients.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 8:58:47 AM PST
Cathy C says:
After the Mist, by Cathy Coburn and Duaine Neill

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:00:07 AM PST
Pauletta says:
Thank you to all who gave me recommendations of books that might fit the bill for me! I'm going to check them out first chance I get.
By the way, does anyone know about the "cozy mysteries" and what they are like?

Much appreciation for all your assistance.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 11:21:14 AM PST
Pauletta says:
@red girl: Wow...sounds very intriguing! Have you read it? Was it pretty clean with regard to obscenity or sex? I just downloaded a sample...can't wait to read it. Thank you ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2012 12:07:42 PM PST
"Tea Cozies" tend to be light hearted, easily read books with decent plot, but little character development. They tend to have some sort of quirky job, lifestyle, family background, etc.
IE. the detective is not a professional, usually a female, frequently single, (if married has none important mate), whose career will give them access to locations where a murder may occur. Cater, bookstore owner, volunteer, interior designer, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 7:06:31 AM PST
red girl says:
In regard to your question about obscenity or sex: The answer is yes. The novel does not need those to tell the story.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 7:25:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2012 7:27:25 AM PST
W.T. says:
I'll make an unusual suggestion to you. Look for Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", "The Naked Sun", and "The Robots of Dawn". Although set in a sci-fi, future New York City, they are gritty, noir-inspired detective stories as well, and they are "clean" in content without being "immature". Mystery readers sometimes overlook these bona fide classics because they don't realize they are more mystery than sci-fi.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 10:25:52 AM PST
Check out Nevada Barr and Lynette Eason books.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 1:30:40 PM PST
Try Cold Eyes or The Calendar by Romina Wilcox. There is no profanity or sex scenes but the stories are interesting. Cold Eyes is a mix of bio-science and technology, while The Calendar is corporate cyber-thriller. She's a mix of Michael Palmer and Joseph Finder. Good luck on your search

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 2:33:22 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 2, 2012 3:23:25 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 3:15:29 PM PST
E. Hamer says:
A wholesome killer? Murder is okay but 'potty mouth' not? How odd. Maybe you should try cozy mysteries, which generally are quite politically correct and genteel. That's why they ae called cozies.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (695 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  80
Total posts:  120
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2012
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions