Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Looking for a new author

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 280 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 1:35:59 PM PDT
Guess you've read Dean Koontz, AJ Holt, John Saul?? If you're into audio, I highly recommend Tick Tock by Koontz; the readers are superb. Catch Me by Holt is one of my all time faves. Just took a chance on a new author, Mandy Spencer - Darker the Knight.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 7:50:54 PM PDT
GG says:
Probably not technically thrillers, but I have enjoyed almost all of John Sandfords's "Prey" novels. I haven't been quite as fond of his Virgil Flowers character in the newer series. Also, Lee Child turns out some great ones, and I like Robert Crais' novels featuring Joe Pike.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:41:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 16, 2012 5:45:35 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:43:19 AM PDT
PipCat says:
Have you tried The Event Group series by David Golemon, any of the Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston books, or anything by Brad Metzger?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:42:13 PM PDT
I do like Gillian Flynn, and for readers who do, they may also like Nancy Pickard, Tana French, Jennifer McMahon. Lisa Unger is also very good--her standalones.

I was also going to recommend Richard North Patterson. He has a newish one out, Fall From Grace.

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 5:46:17 PM PDT
Not to jump into the fray, but I kind of think Amazon's policy makes sense. They are trying to keep these forums from being little more than classified ads. It's true that if someone is looking for a thriller, and you wrote a thriller, they may like yours. But there's a conflict of interest in "recommending" it and I think readers may want either a good discussion, or else at least an unbiased pick.

Just my one and a half cents. Could be wrong. Is certainly off topic. I hope I don't get deleted, but it's okay if I do...

Another new-to-me recommendation is a writer named James Tabor. If anyone likes environmental thrillers, Jim writes about the incredibly dark and claustrophobic act of cave-diving.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 7:07:31 AM PDT
Martin says:
I agree about Gillian Flynn. Gone Girl: A Novel may have a disappointing finish but for me it does not detract from the wonderful richness of the writing and the slow burn mystery. Hypnotic. But see reviews, not everyone liked it.

I also liked The Machine (An Ethan Stone Thriller) which is more action-based, faster-moving, but also functions on more than one level.

Both can be read very much stand alone, which suits me. People who get through their books faster than me might prefer the "series" type books where there are six or more available to read one after the other. Lee Child - fabulous writer, if a little slow-moving.

And dare I say it the Hunger Games books are some of the best written, most compulsive and thought-provoking page-turners in a long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2012 7:24:27 AM PDT
GG says:
Hi, Jenny: it is a sticky topic, and not easy to resolve. I have been, and still am, on both sides of the fence. Being an author, I want to raise my hand and say, of course we should be allowed to recommend our books, but being a reader who dislikes being 'bombarded' with promotion, I completely understand. I'm so sensitive to that, I am probably a horrible marketer as I seldom push my own work. With that being said, I see nothing wrong with allowing someone to say, in response to a question, if you're looking for a great "X" perhaps you could consider looking at the reviews on this book. It would require moderation, like anything else. I'm sure there are certain authors who would have to have comments deleted, just as there are certain members now whose comments might need deleting. The sad thing is that authors are some of the biggest readers in their own genre, so they could add genuinely good input into the conversations. Just something to think about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 5:47:37 AM PDT
Driver God says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 8:59:07 AM PDT
Are you the author or related to him/her? Please read the following: The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2012 10:54:28 AM PDT
Driver God says:
No I'm not.

Please read my other post on another thread. Just a brand new Kindle reader and the book... which I won't mention again for fear of being hast in hell... was the first I have read. Don't worry, I'll be promoting loads of others as I see fit!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 2:42:52 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 22, 2012 3:22:54 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 2:20:06 PM PDT
scott says:
I love Harlan Coben

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 6:28:07 AM PDT
Try F.J. Lennon's Kane Pryce series. First book is Soul Trapper. Second book, Devil's Gate, can be pre-ordered on Amazon. LOVED rhe first book. A non- stop thrill ride.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 12:23:18 PM PDT
suzieq says:
I am looking for a new author, I am sick of reading about terrorists and the middle east. Need something new. Robert Crias was refershing but i just finised his last and quite frankly he is going to be hard to match.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 12:27:39 PM PDT
GG says:
Depends on what you're looking for, but if you liked Crais (Joe Pike series) you would probably like John Sandford's "Prey" novels. He started them way back in the early 90s, and has @ 20 of them. A lot of people like Lee Child and Michael Connelly, though Connelly is quite different than the others I mentioned. Karin Slaughter has a big following. If you like a little romance with the mystery/suspense, my wife said Polly Iyer's "Murder Deja Vu" was excellent. I tried it, and she wrote beautifully, but it was a little too much romance for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 12:45:44 PM PDT
Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a great Spanish author: The Prisoner of Heaven or The Shadow of the Wind

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 2:18:17 PM PDT
suzieq says:
I have read all of Sanfords, Childs, Demilles, and I get bored with romance.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 2:26:48 PM PDT
GG says:
Sounds like we're in the same boat.

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 2:32:49 PM PDT
Charlie Fox says:
Try the Baby Shark series. Really excelllent. Or Lethal People (A Donovan Creed Novel) also good and inexpensive

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 2:47:24 PM PDT
Miss M says:
I discovered this series through my library recently and really like it (it's avail for kindle too) -

Red Station (A Harry Tate Thriller) - Adrian Magson

Another favorite I discovered this year is Peter Temple's Jack Irish series, set in Australia:

Bad Debts (Jack Irish) - I *really* like this series; he's a lawyer whose backstory is his wife was killed by a disgruntled client so he goes off the rails for a while. When the series starts he's working part-time as a sort of PI/troubleshooter...excellent group of supporting characters, snappy dialogue (though you have to work out what some of the 'Strilian' means, sometimes)...Definitely recommend.

Also, Harlan Coben's stand-alones are pretty good, but you've probably already covered those.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 4:24:42 PM PDT
SusieJ says:
I recently read S. J. Bolton's latest two books and now I'm a huge fan. I haven't read her earlier books, but they are on my to-be-read list. Now You See Me is a real page-turner. The heroine of the book is Lacey Flint, a young London police investigator who returns to her car to find a dying woman leaning against it. It's soon revealed that a Jack-the-Ripper wannabe is on the loose in London and he's fixated on Lacey. The book is a combination of gothic suspense, thriller, and police procedural, with deep, dark family secrets galore. It's sequel is Dead Scared, which also focuses on Lacey. Bolton's books always get good reviews, but she's practically unknown in the US. Too bad. She's a fantastic writer.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:28:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2012 8:30:54 PM PDT
Miss M says:
I agree - great recommendation, SusieJ. I just finished 'Dead Scared' last week and it was excellent - really creepy storyline, and I mean that in a good way!

ETA: SJ, if you're going backwards to read some of her books, the therapist from Dead Scared first appeared in 'Blood Harvest' (along with the vicar she keeps referencing in Dead Scared.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2012 8:51:10 PM PDT
Suzieq, take a look at the work of Brendan DuBois' Lewis Cole series. It's set on the New Hampshire seacoast. I suggest, if you decide to give it a try, that you start with the first book Dead Sand. The back story as to how Cole came to be in New Hampshire is all laid out in the first book. Pretty important background.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 10:59:41 AM PDT
Folks have recommended Harlen Coben and I agree. Love Myron Bolitar and Win. Don't know if anyone suggested Andrew Vachss and the Burke series. Hard boiled suspense story written sparse and touch. The main characters are all outlaws but you'll grow to love them.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (694 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  159
Total posts:  280
Initial post:  May 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions