Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Apocalypse!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2011 4:15:24 PM PST
Melymel says:
Can anyone recommend any good post-apocalyptic or Zombie Apocalypse books? Something with a lot of chills and thrills. Thanks for any recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 4:24:04 PM PST
ginmar says:
You've read all the classics, right? "The Stand," "Earth Abides", etc., etc., ? You know what a fertile field for apocalypse is these days? Young Adult fiction. Have you read the Hunger Games?

Do you want non-monster apocalypse? Or a particular type of monster? Zombies? Aliens? Illness? Fast zombies or slow zombies? Dead zombies or "28 Days Later" living FAST zombies? Religious apocalypse?

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 4:43:05 PM PST
Melymel says:
I've read the The Stand and also Hunger Games. Both were really good. I was looking for something with a lot of suspense. It can be something like The Walking Dead tv show but zombies and monsters or optional.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 6:57:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 6:58:17 PM PST
I just finished reading Swan Song. This was by far one of the best books, any genre, that I've read. I would say SK's The Stand is the only book of this type that was better. I also highly recommend The Passage: A Novel, and Run by Blake Crouch, which is a bargain at $2.99.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:33:19 PM PST
John Green says:
World War Z is something of a modern-day classic.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:34:52 PM PST
Someone rec'd Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy) to me. It looks entertaining.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 9:57:50 PM PST
ginmar says:
That was the very first book I bought for my Kindle last Xmas, after buying an emergency copy of the paperback when I just could NOT find the bloody thing in my house.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 9:58:10 PM PST
ginmar says:
Those were the second and third books I bought for my Kindle. They're AWFULLY good.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:05:56 PM PST
So, you like zombies?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:25:47 PM PST
ginmar says:
I like zombies if they're well written. I'd KILL for some well-written alien invasion stuff, though. And werewolves that aren't, "My boyfriend has furry PMS during the full moon."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:29:22 PM PST
Have you read Mercy Thompson?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:34:24 PM PST
ginmar says:
With the heroine who's a mechanic? Yeah, I read the first one but I like my supernatural stuff classic and genuinely scary. It wasn't. I couldn't get into the second one. I grew up on the old Universal classic horror movies, and they're surprisingly scary, even now. "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" is scary to this day.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 11:39:39 PM PST
Ah. I don't like scary, OTOH. Is Feed scary?

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 11:47:37 PM PST
John Green says:
Should've mentioned The First Days (As the World Dies, Book One) Pretty entertaining and has an opening you won't forget anytime soon. Dunno how I forgot it; gave it a four-star review for Vine. *facepalm*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 4:39:29 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2011 7:51:42 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2011 4:45:51 PM PST
Cphe says:
Ginmar - The Mia Grant books look really good but are pretty expensive for the Australian kindle (over $11)
Could you read the second book as a stand alone????

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 5:08:29 PM PST
Nan says:
I have to second swan song by Robert McCammon And all three of Rhiannon Frateras as the world dies IMO the best zombie story's I have reread them 3 times.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:23:10 PM PST
Albert Ip says:
http://www.countdown.org/armageddon/

"In the last few years the world has gone from one Earth-shaking crisis to another. While some say that we are on the threshold of a Brave New World Order, others warn that humanity now totters on the brink of unprecedented disaster & chaos! ..."

Beware of brain falling out...

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 11:26:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 11:27:56 AM PST
Beth says:
One book I'd definitely recommend is Call Me Human: A Zombie Apocalypse Novel. The author is apparently Russian and the novel is set in the suburbs of Moscow taken over by zombies. It's a great new take on zombie apocalypse... and apparently,the biggest threat will be not zombies per se, but actually our fellow human beings... the author shows in his book how we humans can be uglier and more cruel than all zombies taken together. I read it a while ago and definitely recommend it, it's different and well-written.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 8:51:06 PM PST
DeathRattle says:
Ginmar, check out Footfall and not as great but still good DeathDay
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (693 discussions)

ARRAY(0x94b0ec54)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions