Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Mitch Rapp Movie

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 6, 2011 12:02:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2011 9:30:02 PM PDT
Cave Wyatt says:
They had decided to make a Mitch Rapp movie but the entire concept changed when they announced they would start at the beginning with the latest book, American Assassin. So now they will need a Mitch Rapp as a college senior or just out of school. I wonder if they will stick with the Lockerbie bombing as his trigger or update it by using 9/11 or something. Anyway, this revelation shows us we'll need someone much younger than the suggestions so far. My wife and I have discussed:

Taylor Lautner - Mitch Rapp. Young enough, dark-skinned enough, athletic enough and has an action movie now in his resume (Abduction) to give him credibility.

Diane Kruger - Irene Kennedy. Irene will also have to be younger so the suggestion of Diane Kruger would work so she can age with Mitch. Reversing her 41 to Mitch's 31 in Transfer Of Power, she would have to be able to pass as 31 in American Assassin, which Kruger can do. It will also have to be someone who can be believable as someone so intelligent. That lets out the current crop of Cameron Diaz-style ditzes. Stephanie March would be pretty terrific, too, and doesn't show her age. I guess March is really my first choice.

Robert Duvall - Thomas Stansfield. My wife and I pictured the same guy from the description of Stansfield, D from Men In Black. Too bad he died in 2004. So, how about Robert Duvall for the part?

I guess Anna could be any of a hundred gals who can wear green contacts but she has to be able to annoy me like Anna does in the books.

Tom Wilkinson - President Hayes. My real first choice would be James Cromwell but I haven't seen him since The Queen so I'm not sure what he looks like. He's 71 in real life so probably too old.

Chris Pine - Scott Coleman. This is too much of a second fiddle part for him. He'll never take it. We need to find a young Dolph Lundgren. Hmmm...Cole Hauser? He had a good military look in Tears of The Sun.

Jaleel White - Not in this first movie but at some point they will need a Marcus Dumond. I think it would be funny if they used Steve Urkel, the definition of "nerd", as the brilliant black computer hacker.

Muse Watson - Stan Hurley. Watson played Mike Franks on NCIS several times over the years. Hurley is essentially the same guy. "Hey, Probey!"

Glenn Morshower - General Flood. I had first thought of using him as Skip McMahon but the part just isn't big enough in any book. This guy reeks of high level military authority so the little-used McMahon would be under-using his talent. Then I thought he'd make a great Jack Warch, head of the Secret Service presidential detail. Still not enough. General Flood is perfect! Now I still need to find those other two guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 5:46:27 AM PDT
Other than your choice for Mitch, everyone else seems to be spot on, especially Tom Wilkinson and Robert Duvall, excellent. This has been mostly a testoterone driven guy action adventure series and most of us dont relate to anything or anyone associated with the polar opposite "Twilight" series. We need a so-called "mans-man" for Mitch, not some pretty boy that all the little girls love. Most of todays younger actors arent very impressive, so not coming up with many who would fit. Maybe a Christian Bale, Tom Hardy would be more appropriate for the part. Im sure im missing someone though. Just my two cents worth.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 6:55:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 7:19:15 PM PDT
Cave Wyatt says:
No, Don, I completely get what you're saying. We're having a heck of a time finding the correct physical match who is also the correct age. We actually thought of Josh Duhamel during the new Transformers movie we watched yesterday. We know he has to have "cred" as a tough guy (at least Duhamel has that) but he's also got to be that black-haired guy who can pass as middle eastern. It's kind of important our Rapp can do that. That gives Lautner one point, as does his age (at least for the first movie, Duhamel could play younger for one movie, maybe). We didn't see Abduction but the trailer looked action-packed. And as my wife says, "It's easier to age a young guy than to pass off a 35-year-old as 21." That was an observation I couldn't argue with.

We just finished Pursuit Of Honor and will start American Assassin soon. God bless Kindle so we can read the books simultaneously. Maybe something will click during that book. We are sincerely hoping they present these books correctly and not just throw several into a blender for a one-shot movie like they did with Master And Commander. Than you'd see all kinds of weird casting.

Posted on Oct 13, 2011 12:13:14 PM PDT
If he wasn't so confoundedly British, Richard Armitage could carry off the role. But I doubt he could lose the accent. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 1:42:50 PM PDT
Cave Wyatt says:
And they'd have to spray paint him brown. He's looked pretty pasty in North & South, though he's got the angry and thoughtful looks down.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 10:02:05 AM PDT
North and South? I've not seen that one--I'm familiar with his acting from Spooks and Strike Back. I'll have to look it up. Thanks. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 12:23:04 PM PDT
Cave Wyatt says:
Spoiler alert! North and South is a period piece, in case that's not your cup of tea. In my own defense, I watched it with my mother-in-law. He plays the "Mr. D'Arcy" type of part.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 3:51:28 PM PDT
Anne Obrien says:
What about Chris Evans? My husband and I liked him in Captain America. Another good one might be Chris Hemsworth of Thor. I don't know where all the Chris's are coming from, but I think they certainly measure up in the testosterone-driven department (just a female's opinion!)

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 3:51:35 PM PDT
Anne Obrien says:
What about Chris Evans? My husband and I liked him in Captain America. Another good one might be Chris Hemsworth of Thor. I don't know where all the Chris's are coming from, but I think they certainly measure up in the testosterone-driven department (just a female's opinion!)

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 6:35:06 PM PDT
Cave, you got some pretty good points about the age and everything. For some reason, i keep thinking about the older Rapp moreso than the younger so im a bit stymied with that, as well as the dark hair,slight mid-eastern look. That one is driving me nuts lol. The angry, dark look is also giving me fits. Who could convey that Mitch Rapp (im p.o.ed at the world) look on a constant basis? For some reason, Michael Fassbender comes to mind. Hmmmm, now he could be perfect, for someone mad as hell at everything. Now if only he can dye his hair black and get somewhat of a tan. What do yall think?

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 6:39:45 PM PDT
Yet knowing how Hollywood can find unique ways of totally screwing up a cast these days, theyll prob. either have Sean Penn or Robin Williams playing the part of Rapp. The yahoos there are just so completely brain dead these days on how to cast for a good movie.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 7:46:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2011 7:50:23 AM PDT
Cave Wyatt says:
Oh, yes. The studios are very creative when it comes to ignoring the author's description of the character. I can just see Judd Apatow getting ahold of this project. Seth Rogan as Mitch, Katherine Heigl as Irene, Paul Rudd as Stansfield, Jason Segel as the leader of the assault on the White House, Jonah Hill as Skip McMahon, Will Farrell as President Hayes, Chris Plasse as Al Rudin...you get the picture.

We'll know how serious they are when we see the first names associated with the movie.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 9:29:21 AM PDT
hoo-boy, that cast just makes me cringe but i wouldnt be the least surprised. After all, someone shot a t*rd when they decided to cast Rogan as the Green Hornet. How pathetic is that?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 12:14:44 PM PDT
Thanks, I might check it out. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2011 2:10:09 PM PDT
Cave Wyatt says:
Yeah, Don, perfect parallel. You knew that movie was done when they cast Rogan.

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 4:34:32 AM PDT
Laura says:
who said they were using Tom Cruise as Rapp?

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 8:52:59 AM PDT
Cave Wyatt says:
Now, Cruise would mean two very bad things to me. One is that he is completely wrong for the part. He might be able to play the retired Mitch Rapp but not the field ops Mitch Rapp. Second, it would show me they did not intend to make this a movie franchise, they were going for a one shot, combine several books type of thing. Again, like they did with Master and Commander. A big mistake in both cases. Much as I enjoyed Russell Crowe as Lucky Jack, those great books deserved more and there was no getting Crowe for a followup.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 9:44:53 AM PDT
and dont forget about tom cruise as Jack Reacher..worst casting ever

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 2:38:12 PM PDT
Yeah, if anything the casting of Cruise as Reacher shows the studios don't really pay too much attention to the character's physical description in the novel. In fact, it matters for zero.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 10:10:31 PM PDT
Squilly says:
Yes Tom Cruise as Reacher is a joke. Not that that has anything to do with this.

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 9:26:46 AM PDT
Cave Wyatt says:
But Bruce Willis as Stan Hurley is not a joke. He may not convey the physical aspects but he'll sure give us Stan's crappy attitude, in spades!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 3:51:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 3:56:33 PM PDT
Chris Hemsworth has been offered the role by a new production team
Flynn's next new book will be co-authored by Bryan Haig the son of Alexander Haig. It will be a new Series it says. Sounds like a completely new Charecter will be introduced. I'm looking forward to it.
What do you all think about this???
Let's hear from all Vince Flynn Fans!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 3:53:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 3:59:43 PM PDT
Chris Hemsworth has been offered the roll by a new production team.
Bruce Willis has also been offered the part of Rapps' mentor.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:43:53 PM PST
I think that the best way is to not cast people who are "too famous" already. The best franchise movies are better when they start with people who are not "known" for other characters so prominently. Like Dean Geyer or Alex Meraz for Mitch Rapp (with brown contacts of course) and Erica Durance or Morena Baccarin as Irene Kennedy, Jeff Bridges (ok he's popular but not really known to the new generations) I have other actors in mind for other characters too

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 10:18:21 AM PST
Cave Wyatt says:
I agree about selecting an actor who is not too well known. I knew there would be no more movies about "Lucky" Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin when they chose Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany for the parts (and threw about five of the novels into a blender for the script). I still think Taylor Lautner has all the necessary physical attributes (to have been an athlete and pass as semi-Middle Eastern), age and is having trouble getting anything going that isn't Twilight-related. I'll have to look up the names you mention, I'm not familiar with them.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (694 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Oct 6, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions