Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Indie books that are available and reasonably priced for the UK

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2012 12:13:12 AM PDT
Driver God says:
I like to support indie writers but I'm finding it hard to find what I want.

If I tell you my tastes, maybe you could recommend some? I know people on here get bent out of shape about spam so go easy.

I like - Jack Reacher novels, although in some ways once you've read one, you've read them all.

I like Clive Cussler, Chris Ryan and Bernard Cornwell.

The thing with all of those is that they tend to follow a formular and I want something more original. Nothing with religious over-tones or with vampires please! Other than that, I like historial and fantasy settings as well as present day.

I have enjoyed one book recently but for the sake of harmony, I won't mention it again here. If you check out my previous posts on things like "recommend a good military book" etc, you'll see why.

Only indie authors, though, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 12:35:03 AM PDT
Cphe says:
Hi Driver God

A reader here recommended to me
Gallows Pole which I read and thoroughly enjoyed. the author has several books.

BTW I have answered you on the other thread. ( for thriller indie threads)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 1:18:21 AM PDT
Driver God says:
Thanks - I've downloaded Gallows Pole - looking forward to reading it!

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 1:18:24 AM PDT
Cphe says:
This is a very good indie that both you and your girlfriend might enjoy.

It is a series if you read the first and are interested in the others
Baby Shark

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 11:30:47 AM PDT
You might also enjoy Alistair MacLean. They might appear a little dated but I certainly re-read them. I don't think all are available on Kindle. I assume if some are available now, others will follow. Desmond Bagley is another one, I just checked and my favorite Flyaway is coming out on Kindle, however it says December 2019 - that must be a typo. If you do like what you see in product description, then keep and eye out for High Citadel . Another author along that line is Greg Iles and I believe all of his books are available on Kindle. Happy reading.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 3:25:47 PM PDT
Driver God says:
Thanks Angela.

I'd forgetten about MacLean! Read a few some years ago - might see if they're available on Kindle. Not heard of Desmond Bagley but will check him out too

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 6:50:55 PM PDT
Gary Ponzo's books about an FBI agent are extremely popular - A Touch of Deceit (Nick Bracco Series #1)

And I'd highly recommend this UK-based book: Where the Devil Can't Go

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 7:45:52 PM PDT
Cphe says:
I second the rec for Where The Devil Can't Go

It was excellent

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 4:25:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 4:25:18 AM PDT
Driver God says:
Thanks ladies - have downloaded Where the Devil Can't Go

Another one that someone else suggested was Vengence Wears Black. Just started reading it and enjoying it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 6:03:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 6:04:13 PM PDT
DG - Just took a 'look inside' Vengeance Wears Black, and it does look interesting, so I picked it up.
Thanks.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 7:19:22 PM PST
I've enjoyed Debora Geary's A Modern Witch (A Modern Witch Series: Book 1) series.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 6:35:06 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 6, 2013 2:58:19 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 5:51:44 PM PST
THEY DIE ALONE is a noir crime story set in 1934 Chicago, and it is published by a small independent press in the UK, written by a new author. Ross Duncan, the protagonist, is not a detective or policeman; he's a world-weary bank robber with a conscience. He is no saint, but he's trying to right things as he moves between rival mobsters and eludes the early FBI. There's a girl he wants to save, and partners he needs to satisfy. I'll warn you: this is a hardboiled, violent story, but has at its core a theme of redemption built around a Biblical passage that Ross Duncan stumbles upon as his partner lays dying.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:09:12 PM PST
See the Cameron Kane thriller series: The Timekeeper (Cameron Kane Book 1)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jul 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions