Looking for a new author

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 280 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 17, 2012 1:18:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 17, 2012 4:27:11 PM PDT]

Posted on May 17, 2012 1:33:29 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
my long term favorites are:
Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child - every word they write together is awesome start with Relic
John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series - a long series and the books just keep getting better and better Rules of Prey (Lucas Davenport) is the first in the series
Louise Penny - I wish she would write faster Still Life: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel is the first and only $2.99
Mark Schweizer - his litergical series was one I thought I wouldn't like at all but absolutely love start with The Alto Wore Tweed (The Liturgical Mysteries), it's $.99.
This week I'm starting a new author, I haven't read him yet but heard him speak the other day and he was very funny - Craig Johnson The Cold Dish: A Walt Longmire Mystery is the first in his series about a Wyoming sheriff. I can't wait to start it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 4:12:26 PM PDT
Cphe says:
I think from your post that you are already aware that self promotion should be taken to the MOA

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 1:46:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 18, 2012 2:19:38 PM PDT]

Posted on May 18, 2012 5:24:14 PM PDT
Roger Weston says:
Hi T. Wright,

As I got to thinking about this, based on the books you like, you might want to check out David Morrell's Brotherhood of the Rose trilogy. These are great stories and well written.

Posted on May 18, 2012 6:31:55 PM PDT
Joseph says:
Try a book called 'Die By The Sword' by T Moffitt. Good storyline and lots of action.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 4:23:50 PM PDT
@Roger: Yes, the Mortalis series by Morrell is excellent. When people make recommendations in the thriller genre, myself included, very seldom are series from 25 or 30 years ago included. David Morrell's entire body of work (fiction) should be included in any recommendations in the thriller genre. Excellent stand alone novels as well as the above mentioned trilogy.

Another author from that same time frame that is worth looking for is John R. Maxim. His Bannerman series was great and his stand alone books were equally good.

Posted on May 19, 2012 5:00:09 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2012 11:38:57 PM PDT
Cphe says:
Lee - There is a genre thread on the MOA to promote your book.
It is really not applicable for this thread - readers are asking other readers for their recommendations.
Not for authors to self promote - because authors are very biased regarding their own work, would not you agree??

Posted on May 24, 2012 7:19:38 PM PDT
Mark Greaney is good. Also Matthew Reilly,and maybe Myke Cole if you don't mind an element of the fantastic mixed in with your military thriller.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 12:03:19 PM PDT
Ginger says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 26, 2012 12:18:25 PM PDT
Regular Guy says:
Try James Lee Burke

Posted on May 26, 2012 4:45:11 PM PDT
Elizabeth says:
A Deceit To Die For. He's working on the second book in the series now. The book is controversial. Banned in Turkey, or something like that. Think Da Vinci Code for Muslims, but historically accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 9:45:39 PM PDT
L. Nathan says:
Try Noah Boyd..."the Bricklayer" first and then "Agent x" Also for thrillers pick up Greg Iles...try Mortal Fear first. Check out his page on fantasticfiction.co.uk to find how the different series run.
Have you done the camel club series by baldacci?? A fun ride is the series Ted Bell writes give it a try. Go onto fantasticfiction.co.uk to get the series list on all these. I manage a used book store and these are our patrons favorites once they are at the end of flynn, slilva, demille, thor, beransen, and many more. HOpe some of them work for you...personally I love the ride ted bell takes you one...must read in order though.

Posted on May 30, 2012 10:54:03 AM PDT
nyrangers says:
The Darkened Heart by John B and Unexpected Fare by John B r worth the look. Someone told me about his writing and its quite thrilling.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 11:57:14 AM PDT
ELY says:
I woudl recommend any of Follett's books, particularly those based on pseudo-historical events.

Also, try Frederick Busch. Somewhat creepy but very good!

Posted on May 30, 2012 12:36:27 PM PDT
Another old school author whose books I totally enjoyed back in the day was Alistair MacLean. I think a lot of the contemporary writers use, to some extent, MacLean's writing style. For younger generation readers it might be worth your while to explore his work.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 4:17:08 PM PDT
Cphe says:
Hi JD - I loved Alistair MacLean's books growing up.
My favourite I think was HMS Ulysses.
Everytime I think of Ice Station Zebra - I think of the movie unfortunately

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 4:56:42 PM PDT
Cphe: Yes, I remember the movie more than the book myself. Same goes for Breakheart Pass and Where Eagles Dare.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2012 5:08:08 PM PDT

Posted on May 30, 2012 6:02:42 PM PDT
Answering, ELY, J.D> and Cphe: loved Alistair MacLean. Also try Colin Forbes (the early ones) and Desmond Bagley.

Posted on May 30, 2012 6:12:08 PM PDT
Miss M says:
For some reason, Ice Station Zebra reminded me of this thriller that I read & enjoyed a while back - think I found it in thread on overlooked 'classics':

Kolymsky Heights - Lionel Davidson
Somewhere in an inaccessible part of northern Siberia, a scientific team is working on a project of astonishing significance. There is one drawback: once involved in the project, you can never leave. The West learns that something important is going on when Professor Lazenby of Oxford University begins to receive coded messages written on cigarette paper. He turns to a former student working for the highly secretive Scientific Services Department of the British government, who in turn gets the CIA involved. It seems the only man capable of solving the mystery is an old acquaintance of Lazenby: the brilliant scientist and linguist Johnny Porter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 3:18:55 AM PDT
Iola says:
"And now for the self-serving recommendation. May I suggest you read my PI novel"

No, you may not. It's against Amazon's Terms of Service to recommend any book you have a financial interest in.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 11:00:44 AM PDT
I highly recommend The Cain Sanction by new author Mary McNally Ratto. Found it here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:11:26 AM PDT
L. Sandlin says:
I agree with someone else....Lee Child's Jack Reacher Series....
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (700 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  159
Total posts:  280
Initial post:  May 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions