Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Mystery/Thriller with strong plots and good twists!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 415 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 2:16:00 PM PST
Cphe says:
I loved Arnaldur Indridason - especially Jar City and Silence of the Lake and Jo Nesbo
IMO they are as good as Stieg Larsen

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 5:26:06 PM PST
Roger Weston says:
Brandon, I will let you know. Haven't read Creepers or Scavengers. I've read Morrell's older stuff. The Brotherhood of the Rose: A Novel was a good one. I'm curious about Steven James. Let me know if you decide to give The Pawn a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 5:57:38 PM PST
Brandon says:
I have the whole Jo Nesbo series, what is his best one so I can give him a try?

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 6:07:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 6:13:22 PM PST
Cphe says:
Hi Brandon - I'm not sure who you are asking - but for me:
The Redbreast/ Nemesis/The Devil's Star (The Oslo Trilogy)
are the ones I like best - He has a new one due out some time this year that I will have to preorder
The Oslo Trilogy kind of has a conclusion (wont give away spoilers) These 3 books are the start of the series.
It was only because of "The Girl" trilogy that I looked further and discovered the Nordic writers who I think are more dour, gritty and excellent .......Enjoy!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 1:59:03 PM PST
kindlegal says:
OK. I know Finder and Meltzer well. And I rate my books when I finish from 1 to 10. Meltzer First Counsel, tenth justice, zero game, dead even and millionaires all are 10. Finder is a 9 and a 10 for all with Killer Instinct the lowest at 8.5. Hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 3:19:49 PM PST
I read and reviewed "The Leopard" by Nesbo on Vine just recently. It is excellent, and, perhaps is even better than "The Snowman".

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 5:03:20 AM PST
Brandon says:
I just finished the new Michael Connelly novel "The Drop." It was a great book, I would definitly recommend it to anyone here that enjoys crime novels. Now I am going back to the beginning, I read Black Echo and Black Ice (Echo being the better of the 2) and now I am on to Concrete Blonde, I am on page 150 and I cannot stop, this is by far his best one I have read yet. The Bosch series is a great series to get into for all of you that haven't read it yet.

Also, just wondering if anybody has read any Marcus Sakey? I have his books on my shelf including his new book, "The Two Deaths of Daniel Hayes" so I am just wondering how his writing is.

Very excited for the finale of the new Pendergast trilogy titeld "Two Graves" expected release date is in the Fall for anybody interested. Anyone as in love with that series as I am?

Lets hear some more good suggestions, this forum is looking good, lets keep it up guys.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 5:06:15 AM PST
Brandon says:
I really want to get into Jo Nesbo, as he is very popular. I read the first few chapters of The Snowman a few months back to get a taste of how he writes. I loved the first chapter with the Mom and Son seeing the snowman, but I kind of lost interest when Hole was introduced and the suspense kind of dissipated, just wondering if it picks up pretty quick after that? What would you rate that book? And what is your favorite book by Nesbo?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 5:09:17 AM PST
Brandon says:
Have you read Finders earlier books? The Moscow Club? Extraordinary Powers? Zero Hour? If so, how are they each? I have read all of his new ones, and I agree with your ratings. High Crimes, Paranoia, and Company Man all blew me away with their suspense and amazing storylines. Power Play and Killer Instinct were both pretty good. Vanished was terrible, (I am very very disappointed with Finder trying to hit mass audience with a Secret Agent main character series) He was very original and creative before he started this new series, now he just blends in with all of the other secret agent authors and investigators. I am highly disappointed in him, as he was one of my all time favorites before this new series.(Buried Secrets was pretty good but still no comparison to his earlier novels.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 5:11:56 AM PST
Brandon says:
I have been wondering about Lehane, I read his first novel Drink Before the War or something. It was decent, it seems like Darkness Take My Hand is rated much higher, I started it and read about 50 pages and it didn't really catch my interest, does it get better? I also would like to try Mystic River and Shutter Island.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 5:14:06 AM PST
Brandon says:
I have a few Flynn novels, what is your favorite? Should I start with his highest rated, or should I start at the beginning of the series? I also haven't tried John Sandford yet, I have a few of his such as Winter Prey. I tried Rules of Prey but it didn't seem like a mystery to me. I don't really enjoy novels where you know who the killer is before the end of the book, it ruins the suspense for me. And I hear that many Sandford novels are like that, (where you know who the killer is.) Is this true? Which is his best novel?

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 7:55:22 AM PST
I like Steven James "Patrick Bowers" series as well as those mentioned above.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 9:26:29 AM PST
Lehane is great. His take on Boston is perfect. Besides the books mentioned by Brandon, may I suggest "Gone, Baby, Gone" and the other books he has written about the detective and his girlfriend\wife. These are the same people and neighborhoods as appeared in "Mystic River".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 9:31:37 AM PST
Harry Hole is the lynchpin of "The Snowman" and his later book, "The Leopard". I know Harry is a bit slow because he is depressed after years of trying to be a good policeman. I think you should go back and try again. Nesbo is a great writer. By the way, that first chapter ends up being a very important part of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 9:33:56 AM PST
Harry Hole is the lynchpin of "The Snowman" and his later book, "The Leopard". I know Harry is a bit slow because he is depressed after years of trying to be a good policeman. I think you should go back and try again. Nesbo is a great writer. By the way, that first chapter ends up being a very important part of the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 4:33:41 PM PST
Cphe says:
Hi Brandon - I really enjoyed the Dennis Lehane books
Gone Baby Gone
Prayers for Rain
Darkness Take My Hand
I also have Mystic River still to be read (so many good books.......so little time)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 10:20:19 PM PST
Shutter Island is excellent. I read it on vacation in a couple of days. The story is very well written with twists and turns that will keep you completely engaged and the characters are so real you start to root for them. You won't be disappointed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 2:36:34 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 20, 2012 3:56:41 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 2:47:57 PM PST
Tom Saric says:
Try The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:29:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2012 9:31:18 AM PST
Adam James says:
Fabulous Olen Steinhauer series about "Tourists!" Are they real? Whadda you think?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:31:56 AM PST
Adam James says:
Absolutely!

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 1:13:53 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 4, 2013 11:33:45 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 3:04:11 PM PST
kindlegal says:
Brandon - did not read Moscow Club but enjoyed Zero Hour and Ext. Powers. Thanks for tip about Vanished. Others that are good include Balducci, Dugoni, Gross, Iles, Lescroart, John Ramsey Miller, and Ridley Pearson.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 3:55:03 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 20, 2012 9:33:44 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 20, 2012 7:21:52 PM PST
Paul Farrar says:
All of the Renko books by Martin Cruz Smith are good to excellent (Gorky Park was the first one). Smith begins the series during USSR and takes it up through Yeltsin, Mafias, billionaires, Chechyns, etc.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (701 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
A request for recommendations on good serial killer novels. 59 6 days ago
Other serial characters like Jack Reacher, Lucas Davenport, Dismas Hardy, etc 167 9 days ago
Stories about women taking back their power. 1 10 days ago
I will review your short story or e-book and post it to writing-related sites! 6 10 days ago
Top-Notch Thrillers for $2.99 - Share your current favorite! 3 10 days ago
New Adventure Mystery Books (Mysteries and Thrillers) 28 10 days ago
innocent protagonist 8 10 days ago
New author and Novel 4 10 days ago
Thriller w/ romance element - NOT a romantic thriller! 317 10 days ago
Looking for thrillers about "normal" folks caught up in extra-ordinary circumstances. 576 10 days ago
Looking for 'unexpected endings' 408 10 days ago
Desparetly seeking "page turner" books while awaiting the next book from my favorite author!! 947 10 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  196
Total posts:  415
Initial post:  Jul 25, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions