Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Mystery/Thriller with strong plots and good twists!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 415 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 22, 2012 2:33:08 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 22, 2012 6:39:40 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 5:00:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2012 5:02:39 PM PST
Cphe says:
Self promotion is not permitted on the boards - There is the MOA forum
The OP specifically asked for no self promotion

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2012 6:41:20 PM PST
Anwar says:
Thank you. I thought this was meet our authors. I was wrong.

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 7:50:27 PM PST
This might have already been mentioned, but Minette Walters's books had strong plots with twists, although I haven't seen a new book of hers in some time. Elizabeth George, P.D. James, Lorne Estleman, Stuart Kaminsky, and Denise Hamilton are also really good. I have to say, I'm the world's worst person at figuring out endings, so to me they're all a bit of a twist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 7:25:54 AM PST
John says:
Don't overlook Don Winslow. Right now I'm reading his book, The Gentleman's Hour, another of his surfing novels set in San Diego. He isn't as widely known as some of the authors you mention, but I think he is a superb writer. Highly recommended.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2012 9:26:22 AM PST
Roger Weston says:
I've heard great things about Don Winslow as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 7:03:36 PM PST
I read "The Gentlemen's Hour", and I really enjoyed it. However, when I tried to read some of his other books, I put them down. They are really surfer and beach bum world centered, and I couldn't get interested in the stories. I would recommend books by L. Jefferson Parker who writes about that same Southern California\Orange County world in much better stories. His latest just came out and is entitled "The Jaquar". One of his best is entitled "The Cold Room" and his first book was "Laguna Heat" which was also excellent.

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 7:05:19 AM PST
roken says:
Alpha To Omega If you read William Lynhope's last book, you'll know he likes to plot and tease! Alpha to Omega is no exception. It's a good read and thought provoking. It's most definitely not one of those books where you guess the outcome half way through.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:17:32 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 30, 2012 5:18:06 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 10:45:32 AM PST
A. Conlon says:
One of my all time favorites was "Still Missing" by Chevy Stevens. very different story plot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2012 1:08:42 PM PST
Cphe says:
Hi - I thought Still Missing by Chevy Stevens was pretty good as well.
It got a huge write up in the Sunday papers in Aus along with the Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney.
I think that Chevy Stephens has a new book at the moment - have you read it by any chance???

Posted on Jan 25, 2012 2:01:37 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 25, 2012 8:20:10 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 2:03:22 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 1, 2012 6:38:57 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 4:44:24 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 30, 2012 5:16:52 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 9:34:49 AM PST
Oh come on, Brandon. Tell us how you really feel!!!

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 10:01:22 AM PST
Garrett says:
I liked the River by Cheryl Kaye. It was very interesting and full of suspense. I also liked Revelations by Taj Thompson and I'm reading it again cause the twist at the end makes you have to go back and read. They are both really good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 1:08:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 2:16:37 PM PST
Cphe says:
Brandon,
Stephen Hunter - Point of Impact -
I thoroughly enjoyed this -
I have read some other works of Stephen Hunter - "Dirty White Boys" etc involving Bob Lee Swagger,s family - He is a Vietnam vet and Master Sniper, who has come home and just was to live a quiet life hunting in the mountains. I can't do enough justice to the story on this page and it may not quite be what you are looking for......But I thought it was excellent

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 3:03:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 3:06:31 PM PST
Cphe says:
Malevolent One - I looked at this book but the funny thing was......
7 reviews - (4-5 stars/majority 5 star)
BUT this is the only book they have reviewed?????
I think I might have to steer clear of this one

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 8:52:42 PM PST
Ganymede - A Tale of Middle East Intrigue by Terrence Douglas.
After reading Ganymede, you will have a greater appreciation for those nameless CIA Officers who lost their lives in service to their country - remembered only by a Gold Star at Langly' Wall of Honor.

This a fictional CIA case - maybe not - by Douglas, a former CIA Officer. I can only assume the author has penned from his experiences this fast paced thriller. Could the author have been sharing his own experiences. Douglas doesn't leave any doubt in the readers mind for his way with words paints each scene with such detail, as though you can see smell and hear what he sees. I read it and wondered - was this novel a clear word of warning to our government to know all the non partisan intel facts - before going to war. Were be being duped into a war? I couldn't hardly put the book down - might make a few notes on characters as you go along or you may have to flipback to check who's who because one tremendous plot is being unraveled. This is one book that if you go to the back of the book to see how it ends up, you will have missed some of the most thrilling events - kind of like the best roller coaster ride. Hope you enjoy Ganymede.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 1:01:17 PM PST
ALWHorses says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 2:07:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 2:19:10 PM PST
Cphe says:
Andrew, Had you read the opening poster's question - you would have seen that he specifically asked for no self recommendations.
Self promotion is against Amazon's terms of sale and as a writer you are not exempt
Please take your rec to the appropriate MOA forum
Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 9:20:03 AM PST
P. Bakker says:
Hi Deborah,
Glad to see I'm not the only one addicted to the Mallory series. Now that I've read them all, I'm looking for something similarly tense and poetically written, in the police murder-mystery genre. I'd appreciate some recommendations. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:48:36 PM PST
Whome says:
Vince Flynn's books are fabulous ! All of them..................

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:23:09 PM PST
joe says:
Jered Mayer's debut novel really stands out strong with a solid plot (unfolding in three stories) that goes in directions you don't see coming. He's said the second book is due out in July.

Waypoint (Waypoint series Book 1)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 4:42:58 AM PST
Brandon says:
I have a few vince flynn books on my shelf, and I see he has very good reviews for all of them. I have always been hesitant to read him though, because I normally read murder mysteries. I usually don't sway much from that genre, and I know Flynn is more Political Thriller. I also don't know much about politics, it doesn't really interest me. But I have had a few people still recommend Flynn. I don't know, think I would enjoy him? What book would I start with?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (694 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  196
Total posts:  415
Initial post:  Jul 25, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions