Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Looking for a new author

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 280 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2012 11:18:16 AM PDT
GG says:
the way I have found the best new authors is to search Amazon by "average customer review" So I type mystery and thriller, or Hardboiled or whatever I'm looking for into the search bar, then, sort it by "Average Customer Review" this gives you a list of the highest rated (using Amazon's algorithm) and I discover new authors with good reviews.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 4:42:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 4:48:03 PM PDT
I"m not in any way advertising I promise. In answer to your question, I think you may want to check out Thom Reese as an author. All of his books are pretty short, but I found them to be really good myself. I hope you find what you are looking for. Most of his are Thriller. You may want to check out The Demon Baquash of his, seeing as you are into big thrills.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 6:19:55 PM PDT
MJB says:
I recommend Ross Thomas. Most of his books have been reissued on kindle. Except, oddly his best "Chinaman's Chance"

His books never become outdated.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 2:00:49 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
If you haven't tried Linwood Barclay's books I suggest you try them. No Time for Goodbye is one of several.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 6:51:43 AM PDT
DC says:
I just found Ken McClure's Dr. S. Dunbar series. They are fun fast books with edge of your seat moments! The best part is there are 9 in the series! I've read 1-6 in the past week. He also has some stand alone books. I recommend starting with number 1 to get to know the characters best. I just love finding someone new tome who has been writing all along, I get to read them all instead of waiting, waiting, waiting. I think I originally found him in this forum. I also enjoyed the entire Baby Shark series and Nick Bracco series which definitely came from this forum. Thank you all!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 1:24:09 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 9:11:12 AM PDT
Linda: please read the following:The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 9:26:59 AM PDT
GG says:
Just finished Huntress Moon by Alexandra Sokoloff, and enjoyed it very much. You can see details in my review on Amazon, but in a nutshell, it was a solid 4-star read. I plan on looking at her other books.

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 9:37:18 AM PDT
I just finished The Hangman's Daughter and The Dark Monk, by Oliver Potzsch - both good. Now reading THE BRIMSTONE MURDERS (A Jimmy O'Brien Mystery Novel), one in the Jimmy O'Brien mystery series, by Jeff Sherratt. Pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 10:16:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2012 12:37:02 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 1:32:24 PM PDT
Dev Aldread says:
Just saw this discussion. Robert Crais (Elvis Cole & Joe Pike books), he's great James Rollins - I just finished "Blood Line" and loved it.

Also, there's a free sample chapter of the next book by Rickard B DeMille. I really liked it.

"Coyote Midnight" Coyote Midnight - Chapter 1 (A Teaser) (Travis Deacon Series) The notice I got said it was free yesterday, but as of now it still is.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 4:00:21 PM PDT
Neil Greer says:
Clive Cussler.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 5:06:34 PM PDT
Trouble with Cussler is you never know if you are getting him or one of this 'fiction fillers'.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 10:20:15 PM PDT
J.D.

Exactly, at least Patterson credites the "coauthor." I stopped reading Cussler.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 10:24:57 PM PDT
DC says:
Actually, I enjoy some of cussler's ghost writers. Jack DuBrul writes the Oregon File Series. They are quite enjoyable! I read Jack Du Brul long before he was a ghost writer. His books are fun too! Each character series is written by a best selling author in their own right.

Posted on Aug 31, 2012 10:50:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 31, 2012 10:51:14 PM PDT
Daarlene,
I started with Cussler's Dirk Pitt books. It takes a little of the enjoyment out of the story when you don't know if Cussler even had anything to do with it. Not as bad as James Patterson. For a while he was releasing so many books I'm not sure he would have had time to read them all, much less write any of them

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 1:05:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 1, 2012 1:27:22 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 4:08:03 PM PDT
@Darlene: Yes, I enjoyed DuBrul's novels as well. I was sorry to see him stop writing his own stuff. Also, Grant Blackwood, who co-writes the Fargo series for Cussler, has written some novels I thought were pretty good.

For me these books using a well known author's name have gotten totally out of hand. I mean, come on, Ludlum passed away 10 years ago yet authors continue to write under his name.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 5:26:29 AM PDT
Resurrected: An Adam Wolf ThrillerYou really must read this book. It is just brilliant and is with Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr and Amazon.com. The author is a Canadian living in Quebec and I was recommended to read it. This is my review on Amazon.com.

"I have just finished reading this wonderful book and the minute I did my husband John grabbed it from me. This is a very fast moving book about Adam Wolf a retired US Government war hero. Nonnas Italian restaurant is where it all begins for Adam when he is a witness to the murder of Normand Blais, a famous crime reporter (albeit that Adam has grabbed Jazz, his girlfriend to protect her and pulled her under the table where the wonderful repartee begins!)and he soon has the organized crime villains breathing down his neck. The writing is full of wicked black humour and when something dreadful happens to someone, you just feel like laughing. The organized crime characters, such as Bruno DeVito, are so well portrayed. The romance angle is seen through the girlfriend Jazz and here she is involved with Adam where marriage is not on the agenda. The turns of phrase are just so touching and yet true. This is the best book that I have read for a long time. I hope that number 2 in the series comes shortly!

When the day comes that you refuse to put a book down, get annoyed with your husband for interrupting, refuse to cook the dinner and then not wanting to go to bed, well that to me is a winner!"

I do hope that you all buy! It is, so good... I understand that the second book in this series will come out next year. I cannot wait!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 1:05:45 PM PDT
Hi,

If by any chance you are interested in political thrillers, my book, Nine Years to Freedom is an interesting read. It is about a high ranking officail from the Shah's army and his daring escape from Ayatollah Khomeini's Iran. I have another book called, The Apple Tree Blossoms in the Fall, which will be available as of Sept. 26. The publisher for the second book is, Lazy Day Publishers.

Hope You would be interested to read Nine Years to Freedom.

Thanks,
Armineh Helen Ohanian

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 4:57:40 PM PDT
Armineh: Please read the following: The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 10:16:06 AM PDT
Try Ed Baldwin, The Other Pilot

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 8:19:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012 8:21:08 AM PDT
Sometimes when I am looking for a new author, I go to fantasticfiction, look for my favorite authors, and usually at the bottom of their page of books, they recommend books they have enjoyed.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

By reading this thread, I've found several authors I haven't read, but will look for their books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:27:06 AM PDT
GG says:
Omnimystery News (www.omnimysterynews.com) does a lot of reviews and reporting on mystery and thriller authors. I have found them to be a good site.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 9:28:35 AM PDT
@Nancy: Fantasticfiction is a good place to research, but I have found the best is to pick up a collection of short stories at the library. Over the years, I can't count the number of "new" authors I have found using that method, both for mysteries/crime thriller and action thrillers.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (693 discussions)

ARRAY(0xd9ddfd10)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  159
Total posts:  280
Initial post:  May 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 27 customers

Search Customer Discussions