Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Mystery/Thriller with strong plots and good twists!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 415 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 9:22:20 PM PST
Brandon says:
There is a book that is really popular around my town these past few weeks, Defending Jacob by Landay. Supposed to be very good, might try that next.

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 9:27:31 PM PST
Brandon says:
I tried the first CJ Box (Open Season) it was all right but nothing special to me, wasn't enough to keep me going on the series, even though I have read his stand-alones and loved those. Also might try Michael Koryta, anybody tried him?

A good one for you guys (if you haven't read yet) are the 2 books by John Verdon, those were very very good. Think of a Number and Shut Your Eyes Tight.

Might try Nelson DeMille (maybe Plum Island) anybody read him? Also looking more into Brad Meltzer (I love his TV show) so maybe his books are good? Maybe Zero Game.

Some others that I am wondering if anybody has tried, because I have them waiting are,
C.J Sansom? (his books seem very interesting and unique.)
Stephen White?
Marcus Sakey?
Greg Iles?( Looking into "The Quiet Game"

Also, Daniel Palmer sent me a signed copy of his new novel "Helpless" and I loved it, give that one a shot guys, great great suspenseful book!

Posted on Mar 5, 2012 10:25:54 PM PST
Paul Farrar says:
CJ Sansom's books about the hunchback lawyer Shardlake during Henry VIII's reign are good.
I've read a few DeMille, but don't like him as much as many people do.
Read 2 Greg Iles--ok, but nothing great to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2012 10:49:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2012 11:52:07 PM PST
Cphe says:
Nelson deMille can be pretty hit and miss IMO
I only really liked By the Rivers of Babylon and Cathedral.
Gerald Seymour has written some really excellent books over the years - Harrys Game etc

p.s Brandon I saw in your opening post that you had read Jeffrey Deaver - have you read a Maiden's Grave?.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 6:46:33 AM PST
Donald Helm says:
I like most of DeMille. First I read was Plum Island. Really think Charm School was one of his best. Meltzer's early books were really good but get the idea he is trying to write the next DiVinci Code or Angels and Demons lately. I enjoy Daniel Silva and think that his novels are very well written. Hope that my writing will one day be considered a tenth as good as that of the authors I have mentioned.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 4:43:14 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 6, 2012 6:57:22 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 10:55:26 AM PST
Adam James says:
Olen Steinhauer
==========
+ The Tourist - $9.99 @ Kindle - Fantastic!!
+ The Nearest Exit - $9.99 @ Kindle - Fantastic!!
+ An American Spy * * * To Be Released 03-13-2012

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 11:35:22 AM PST
Phippse says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 8, 2012 11:50:48 AM PST
KMB says:
I love Lee Child, Nelson DeMille, Stuart Woods, Michael Connelly, Crais, John Locke,

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2012 2:24:50 PM PST
Simply Kay says:
The Calendar by Romina Wilcox. Great high-tech thriller. See Amazon for more description. Too intricate of a plot to put here.

Posted on Mar 10, 2012 10:53:49 AM PST
Dev Aldread says:
I just finished the new James Bond novel by Jeffery Deaver, and posted a review. Carte Blanche: The New James Bond Novel (007 James Bond). I liked it, but . . Anyone else read it?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2012 11:41:54 AM PST
Brandon says:
I have been wondering a TON about that novel, because I reallyyyy want to read it, but the reviews are not the greatest. I love Deaver, he is an amazing writer with brilliant plots and twists. I have never read a James Bond novel before, and it seems as if the people that don't like it are the people that are really into the James Bond series and stuff. I am wondering if I have never evem read Bond, but I love Deaver, how will I like this novel????

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2012 5:20:37 PM PDT
Dev Aldread says:
Brandon, I think Deaver's great, also. "Carte Blanche" is really well written, so if you're not big Bond fan it may not be a problem. I've only read a couple of the books, a long time ago. All of the recent movies are not based on books, but still follow the 'Bond formula.' If you really like the Bond movies, you may have some of the same problems I did. But I still think the story is well written, just not exactly what I expected from a 'Bond-age' point of view.

Posted on Mar 11, 2012 6:50:21 PM PDT
Star Reader says:
Donald,
I loved Nelson Demille's The Charm School. I also really enjoyed the Gold Coast and Up Country, all his books are so good I can't chose a favorite. If you like Nelson Demille, you would really like Lawrence Kelter's Stephanie Chalice mystery series. I've read them all and there really good. I'm trying to find another mystery novel now, one with a female protagonist, but male author. Do you have any good suggestions? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 12:15:10 AM PDT
Dev Aldread says:
Star,
DeMille wrote a sequel to "Gold Coast" called "The Gate House." Some people thought it was a little over the top, there's a bit of sex in it. I thought it was very good, the writing is different, more literary, than the Corey and Brenner (Up Country) books. If you don't mind a little decadence, I recommend it.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 2:00:04 PM PDT
Mark P says:
Back on Murder by J. Mark Burton. For those who like the Bosch series by Michael Connolly or the Dennis Lehane detective series -- this is at least as good and in my opinion better written.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 6:03:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 14, 2012 6:57:47 AM PDT]

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 7:20:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 7:20:40 AM PDT
Dev Aldread says:
MT, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that your initials are the same as the author of book you're promoting.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 7:39:24 PM PDT
Cphe says:
MT - I believe you are the author.
Had you bothered to read the OP - it was specifically asking for NO self promotion.
Please take your self rec to the MOA forum.
Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 12:30:08 PM PDT
Pretty funny. Glyphics (Harvest)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2012 5:20:32 AM PDT
Brandon says:
I've never read him, but Kevin O'Brien writes with female protagonists, and he seems pretty popular.

Posted on Mar 15, 2012 7:38:56 AM PDT
DJ says:
I just read a book called Nine Lives by George Moser. A very fast read, great thriller. I think it has a strong plot, though the description doesn't really show that. My friends are all talking about it now.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 10:44:24 AM PDT
P. Filippo says:
Bitch Caliber 45
a cruel/pulp book

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 1:59:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2012 2:00:39 PM PDT
Cphe says:
Another who has not read the OP's criteria - doesn't bode well for the book
Please take your self rec to the MOA board
Thank you

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 7:19:45 AM PDT
If you want to be thrilled by intricate mysteries and intelligent writing, read Tana French. Start with In The Woods and read the next 2. She is the best, and I'm bummed because I have to wait until July to get her next one. Original, compelling, and I'm still thinking about the book 3 weeks after reading it!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (701 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  196
Total posts:  415
Initial post:  Jul 25, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions