Customer Discussions > Thriller forum

Recommend some good thriller authors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2012 4:46:00 AM PDT
T. Jian says:
Can you guys recommend some authors who are really good at writing thrillers with good plots?

I have only known Stephen King, John Grisham so far, and want to explore further in the world of fiction.

At the same time, it would be fantastic if you can include some magnum opus of the authors as well!

Thanks a lot!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 7:19:08 AM PDT
Have you tried Steve Berry?

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:36:06 AM PDT
Wife of Bath says:
The Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. The Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly, as well as his series with the lawyer (forgot his name)--first one is The Lincoln Lawyer. The Dismas Hardy series by John Lescroart. The Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben, and the "Prey" series by John Sandford (Stolen Prey, Wicked Prey, etc.; lead detective is Lucas Davenport; lots of cursing if that bothers you). The FBI series by Catherine Coulter. If you want good plots with an international spy flavor, the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. If you don't mind the violence and lots of action, the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. These are some of my favorites of the type you are asking about. Good luck!

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:37:08 AM PDT
Wife of Bath says:
Forgot a favorite (how could I?): anything by David Baldacci, especially the Camel Club series.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 7:56:27 AM PDT
This was a great thriller. I read it twice and took the time to write a review which I don't do unless I'm really impressed. WISHBONE (...Be Careful What You WISH For Book 1)

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 10:14:11 AM PDT
Frank says:
It depends on your taste. If you like crime thrillers try Elmore Leonard. It's and acquired taste so read a sample first. You'll know in the first two pages whether it's your thing. Also, Nelson Demille writes a series with John Corey as an FBI agent task force/ex-NY guy who is a smart a** who is funny, but the tension is remarkable. I'd try The Lion's Game. Great book. Amything by Lee Child is solid. Also, if you like FBI thrillers try Gary Ponzo's Nick Bracco series. Nick Bracco is this Sicilian FBI agent who has a cousin in the mafia and he helps Nick find terrorists hiding from the feds. The mafia guys can steal the show, but the writing is really good and the action is pretty much non-stop. The first book is A Touch of Deceit.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 11:12:12 AM PDT
J. Brandt says:
Daniel Silva's series with the main character, Gabriel Allon. He's an art restorer, but also a spy and assassin for Israel. Outstanding and thrilling reads every time out and he's written a LOT of books with Gabriel Allon as the main character.

Michael Connelly? Great....his crime thrillers are outstanding with his main character, Harry Bosch, on the case though my favorite of his may still be "Void Moon" which did not feature Harry Bosch. Go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2012 1:17:39 PM PDT
Ali says:
My favourites at the moment are Tangled Web by Joan P Lane and the Michael Prentiss Stories (Assassin's Run and The Ares File) by Andrew French. All worthy of a read.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 2:04:20 PM PDT
Riley Steel says:
the hand of got by Tim Miller is good, a bit like Dexter, its on free download at the mo on kindle

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 8:02:02 AM PDT
Helen Platt says:
Wow-great suggestions and I read all these people. Am going to mention Alex Kava. She writes a strong female protagonist and it's not romantic suspense. I love Daniel Silva's series. And JT Ellison and Karin Slaughter. Tess Gerritsen has improved with her more current books.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 8:08:29 AM PDT
Tanya French writes great books. Set in Ireland. I'd look her up, all have been really good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 10:18:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 10:25:07 AM PDT
T. Jian,

Hmm. Magnum opus? Well, since you asked...I can pass along a couple of authors who rate pretty high for me. What "counts" for me is writing that makes me feel like I'm "in the action" and that doesn't lag. I also like a story that is believable enough to make me think that the story is occurring in real-time, with real situations.

That said, here are a couple of authors that exceed those expectations:

James Gardner's The Lion Killer (has nothing to do with a safari) The Lion Killer and The Zambezi Vendetta The Zambezi Vendetta. Another great up-and-coming author is Michael Leighton, who wrote The Dirty TurbanThe Dirty Turban. They're both great action-thriller writers.

D

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:20:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 26, 2012 7:38:26 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 7:19:19 AM PDT
Piccato says:
I just finished Black Order by James Rollins-- excellent. If you enjoy the mixture of scientific facts with historical mysteries and philosophical debates, combined nicely into an incredible thriller/adventure, this book is highly recommended.

Before that, I read the Rain Fund by Marc Brem, a good, thought provoking thriller.

Also, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is a very good and explosive thriller, but beware, the language is quite vulgar in parts.

Lastly, my favourite author is Stephen Leather; if you have not read his books before, I strongly recommend you check one out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 6:36:03 PM PDT
AC says:
Amber Colleen with book called PREMONITIONS. Great reviews and I lved ir

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2012 2:55:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 28, 2012 4:16:18 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 3:12:20 PM PDT
meto says:
I have been introduced to so many new authors because of this Kindle with it's free and 99 cent books. Paper books Sue Crofton, Mary Higgins Clark, James Grishem, James Patterson, Mauve Benche, Daniell Steel, Michael Connelly. New Kindle authors: Chris Culver, Nick Russell, Michael Prescott, John Locke, Dani Amore, Mike Pettit, Ben Lieberman, Gemma Halliday. I do read the reviews to get an idea, love crime mysteries and to this time I have been excited with these authors and continue to seek their books. This Kindle e.reader was one of the best things I bought myself. Mine is just an e.reader out of choice. Good luck seeking out new authors.

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 7:26:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2012 7:38:18 PM PDT
Michael Connelly, Stephen Hunter, C. J. Box. Eric Amber. Early Stuart Woods. Early Dean Koontz. Michael Crichton. For me these are the best. The Unlikely Spy (his first book) by the guy who writes Gabriel Allon books was better than anything he's written since. Coma by Robin Cook is my all time top choice. Harvest Home by Tom Tryon was very good. Void Moon by Connelly is his best thriller. His Bosch books are also great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 12:44:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 31, 2012 12:56:34 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 3:23:02 PM PDT
elizabeth b says:
Brad Thor

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 6:05:53 PM PDT
Nickie says:
James Rollins as out many other great books as well. He has several stand alone novels as well as the Sigma Series.

Posted on Aug 1, 2012 7:54:44 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 6:16:00 AM PDT
ivancorrea says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:24:20 AM PDT
B. Hyatt says:
Try Jo Nesbo (Harry Hole Series). Probably should start with the Redbreast but all are good.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 3:38:38 PM PDT
Ivan: Please read the following: The following information is directed at authors or fans who mistakenly find their way to this forum in order to promote a certain book before finding out the rules.

So here are the rules according to AMAZON:

Self promotion is not permitted by Amazon, except in the Meet Our Authors forum.

A) Read the posting policy of what is and is not allowed
http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/content/db-guidelines.html/ref=cm_cd_f_h_help

C) Visit the Meet Our Authors forum to self promote or learn about other authors books.
http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_topf_t?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

Also.....some further available help

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S&cdThread=Tx20GT3HUZ96C70
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Thriller forum (694 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Thriller forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Jun 20, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions