Customer Discussions > Top Reviewers forum

Is it possible to create a live link to a specific review in another review?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 12, 2012 10:24:07 AM PDT
I've learned that it is possible to insert a link to another review in my review of an item; this can be very useful when I'm reviewing one of a series of books -- for example, a series of hiking books where the guides are updated from time to time.

But, the links are not live, as they appear to be in discussion group posts as here.

Is it possible to enliven links to Amazon reviews within another review?

(I know how to use Product Links, but if there are many reviews, it is sometimes hard to refer people to my specific review when there are many reviews.)

Many thanks for any help. Robert

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:00:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 11:46:52 AM PDT
C. Scanlon says:
I often use links to products of similar interest in my reviews, but I have no idea whether they are considered LIVE links, whatever that means. If you hit them it goes to another page ON AMAZON. You cannot link in your reviews to pages OFF the amazon site; this you must do in comments under the review

I hope this is helpful. One recent example is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1VYPE9YDW41TR/ref=cm_aya_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0199827850#wasThisHelpful

oh, you want to link to other reviews within your review? NEver tried that, as I always felt discouraged from directly discussing other reviews in a review, as they might disappear, etc. I do refer to them in a most general way at times.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 11:34:33 AM PDT
Thanks C.

Here's what happens now if you link to your own Review within the text of another review. Go to the short story: My Father's Mask by Joe Hill.

One of the five star reviews is mine. I would like to have the link to Throttle (Kindle Single) go to my review so I don't have to quote it. I can link to the short story itself, which would be live, but there are so many reviews, it is hard to find mine for the casual reader.

Of course, a reader could cut and past the link itself, which would take the reader directly to my review. But it would be easier for them if the link were live, that is if clicking on it would take the reader to the review.

Thanks for the help.

Robert

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 6:01:15 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Do you mean adding a permalink? I haven't tried to put one in a review, but that would be what you want.

I'm sure you can work this out, but for anyone else, permalink is an updated direct URL to that location. Copy it from the browser search bar (right click, or double tap on an iPad will let you copy it too).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 6:26:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 6:30:48 PM PDT
federname says:
> Do you mean adding a permalink?

He's asking if there's a way to embed a clickable link to a review from within a review. You can embed a clickable link to an item such as My Father's Mask by using the [[ASIN:XXX YYY]] markup, but this doesn't work for reviews. If you embed a permalink to a review within the text of a review, the link shows up as static, unclickable text, as in Robert's review at: http://www.amazon.com/review/RPLTSRBR5O89S. URLs do show up as clickable in forum posts!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 6:39:41 PM PDT
cathyr says:
Comments on reviews are treated as discussions, so a link in a comment would be clickable. Other than that I guess the answer is "no"?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 6:43:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 7:17:14 AM PDT
Thanks cathyr (and federname),

It looks like the best workaround might be to embed the non-clickable link in the Review, add the clickable link in the first Comment, and refer to the clickable link in the text of the Review.

I appreciate your help.

Robert

PS: I tucked both those additions into the Review and the first Comment and they work ok. Thanks again. R.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Top Reviewers forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Top Reviewers forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jun 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions