Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Top Reviewers forum

Fake likes?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2012 10:41:57 PM PDT
I have seen the "Like" buttons for a while but I rarely use them since most of the time I'm seeing pages of products I have not read/listened/seen.

Nonetheless I've found today I had 75 items in the "Item's you've liked list" and while several products are things I have rated with 5 stars there are some are producst I did not even know that existed. It seems to me Amazon just filled the list in a similar way as the recommendations list.

Am I the only one seeing this?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 10:52:50 PM PDT
cathyr says:
I went and looked. I have no "Items you've liked" things.

But then I went into Betterizer, liked something, and it was added to the list. You didn't use Betterizer once perhaps?

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 11:04:35 PM PDT
Wayne says:
I don't get the whole "like" thing. It's not relative to anything else so it doesn't mean anything to me. Of course there will be some people who like any particular thing or it wouldn't have made it onto the market. But unless I know who didn't like it, I don't see the point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 11:33:52 PM PDT
cathyr says:
It is at least used by Amazon to target recs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 5:50:13 AM PDT
Justin G. says:
Yes it is. When it comes to targeting your recommendations, hitting the like button is like giving a 5-star review or adding an item to your wish list.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 5:52:37 AM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Welcome to the Facebook-influenced world.

DL

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 6:37:31 AM PDT
I don't know what "Betterizer" is.
Is it from Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 2:03:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2012 3:00:04 PM PDT
Colin Spence says:
As others have already stated, clicking the 'like' button tells amazon what your buying preferences are; and hence, allows them to target you with 'customized' emails.

The 'like' button also gives people the opportunity to express their support for a particular manufacturer/artist/actor/author etc. without having to write a review to do this. One could argue that the convenience of hitting the 'like' button might contribute to a perceived reduction in the number of positive reviews written and/or number of positive votes cast for existing reviews written (for certain product categories).

ETA : When you are logged in. you will see the 'Betterizer' tab just below the Search Box.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 4:29:38 PM PDT
cathyr says:
"ETA : When you are logged in. you will see the 'Betterizer' tab just below the Search Box."

You are also likely to have seen it when you first created an account with Amazon (on one of those "tours").

It's used by Anazon to get a better understanding of your likes, dislikes, already owned, etc, and thus better target future recs.

The likes are supposed to be "private" - they are attached to your account but not to the product.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Top Reviewers forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Top Reviewers forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jul 12, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions