Customer Discussions > Top Reviewers forum

Really Don't Understand Rankings

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 276-297 of 297 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 12:56:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2009 2:37:15 AM PST
What it would do is bring some reviewers down to earth - those who take every opportunity to say how they're thinking of quitting Amazon, but not all of them do so. Knowing that they only rank 12 million or whatever as a purchaser even though they may be a high ranking reviewer would give them a reality check. But of course it could never happen..

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 5:02:24 PM PST
Alana is number 4! You go girl! Number 1 by the end of the year is my bet.

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 5:10:04 PM PST
Chandler says:
xoxoxox
thank you! We chatted about it under the "AVP badges" post which, incidentally, wound up being a conversation that had nothing to do with AVP badges in the end but, instead, steam mops, plagiarism, big sponge hands, and Santa. Oh and the "Alana is number 4" discussion to it.

Come on now....get your hiney up here and I'll gladly trade off my numerical rank to someone always so nice as you...keep on posting and I'll just hand off whatever number I get to like a baton to all you guys...like a relay...then we can go back and forth.

That's more fun anyway. :-)

thank you for noticing!

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 5:34:37 PM PST
Hey Mark, wake up and start reviewing again! I've got my money on you!

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 5:37:02 PM PST
Chandler says:
hey now!!!
:-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 5:42:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2009 5:44:38 PM PST
Sorry Alana, but Mark generally reviews manly stuff, while you only do girly stuff. It's the battle of the sexes, and a man got to do what a man got to do...

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 5:48:26 PM PST
Chandler says:
that's so wrong on so many levels...

**note to self to review electric razor and a football tomorrow morning**

:-)

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 6:04:12 PM PST
"Sorry Alana, but Mark generally reviews manly stuff, while you only do girly stuff"

But what if the majority of Amazon shoppers happen to be women? Maybe that's why she is rocketing to the top all of a sudden. She is their heroine come to pass.... : D

Posted on Dec 5, 2009 8:16:22 PM PST
Rudy Palma says:
Back when it was the old system, I was hovering close to Top 500. Now, I'm lagging behind, and I'm about 1134 on the New Reviewers section. A look at my list of reviews shows the deflation I have felt. I no longer feel the incentive to do reviews anymore. The new system is odd. I hate it so. I can spend so much time on a review, and it can get more votes than other peoples', and still get swept under the pile in favor of reviews with less negative and less positive votes, never to be read again. I used to think it was a win/win by practicing my criticism skills on Amazon, but now there is, as I say, little if any incentive left to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 12:30:17 AM PST
Dear Author of this discussion board,

I have to say and admit that I have not really paid to much attention to the review status here on Amazon. But I get the feeling that you may be working on your skills for a book or an author who values their works no matter how small they may be. But with that said I have read some if not the most of the post concerning the book that you have reviewed. If I can part some wisdom and maybe shed some light on this matter. And that is if you feel that the book to you and your political views are not what you were expecting from the author then by all means write the review how you see fit. And know that you may have to suffer some drawbacks from that review. Now I review mostly video games cause in the gaming community we work hard for our money and we don't want a title out there sucking up the funds on something that is not worth playing. Also here on Amazon we see alot fo reviews on titles that out right suck and still are holding at $60-$50 bucks a game. And on the off chance that the game really tanks Amazon has almost dropped its price considerably or to the point that they don't carry it no more. Now I know that this is apples and oranges that we are talking about but in the gaming community here we make no apologies for a bad game. And you shouldn't either if that is how you feel about the book and the veiws in that book. Now once again keep in mind you can take what I said and toss it out in the trash or you can just keep telling people about the products here on Amazon. I for one have gone by some reviews here concerning games cause I want to make sure that I'm getting my moneys worth out of a game. And I'm quite sure that you have the same feelings when looking for books, DVDs, electronics, etc. We all work hard for the money that we make and if a negative review raises concerns about writing reviews for Amazon cause they want to give you a negative rating or a hit on your ranking cause you don't agree with a certain view or idea is wrong and you should keep writing on Amazon to help others who feel the same as you do or share the same views. Also don't forget that there are TROLLS out there trying to PUMP up items on Amazon. Go back and read some of the reviews on there and see what sounds like it came from an HONEST TO GOD REAL PERSON and not someone trying to BOOST SELLS. There is a difference. And these TROLLS will try and get you the most lowest score possible cause they don't want someone saying there is something wrong with the product. And just try this cause I have seen this myself since coming across this thread and that is when I give a game high ratings I always write "I DON'T GET PAID TO WRITE THIS" cause I want to make sure that REAL PEOPLE are getting REAL reviews and I want to make sure that they know that a REAL person wrote it. Freedom of speech is something that we have and to exercise that right in how we see fit should never be hindered cause of views or ideas. And bottomline if they can't take a joke F@!# 'em! You are entitled to how feel about the book and you shouldn't have to feel like you are being punished for it and if you are then Amazon is no better then the media about what we should see as the truth. Keep letting people know the truth in how you feel about the book cause we as a society should not have to wear masks when it comes to the truth. I hope that this post has shed some light on this thread and have boosted yours or anyone else's morale to keep writing your reviews no matter what ranking you get. Remember if we don't stand for something we will fall for anything.

From a fellow reviewer whose rank doesn't matter. (Amazon Ranking 113,350)

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 1:00:32 AM PST
I'm sure that will make more sense in the morning when I wake up, but what the??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 1:04:37 AM PST
Michelle R says:
**I'm sure that will make more sense in the morning...**

Let me know if it does.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 2:26:41 PM PDT
Dear Mr. DeWitt, I have a had what I consider a similar experience. My positive review of Jonathan Kay's recent book "Among the Truthers: A Journey Through America's Growing Conspiracist Underground" has been gang tackled. (My reviews attract far less attention than yours, but after two "helpful" responses six "unhelpful" reactions were recorded, most of them recently and my ratings rank slipped. I don't intend to refrain from reviewing controversial books, but I would like a way to force the anonymous critics out in the open.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 2:27:44 PM PDT
Dear Mr. DeWitt, I have a had what I consider a similar experience. My positive review of Jonathan Kay's recent book "Among the Truthers: A Journey Through America's Growing Conspiracist Underground" has been gang tackled. (My reviews attract far less attention than yours, but after two "helpful" responses six "unhelpful" reactions were recorded, most of them recently and my ratings rank slipped. I don't intend to refrain from reviewing controversial books, but I would like a way to force the anonymous critics out in the open.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 3:16:12 PM PDT
To be fair, and in my opinion, your review was little more than synopsis. Actually, it's nothing more. What did YOU think of the book? You say it was a positive review, yet you gave it a middling three stars without any subjective explanation. That's what I want from a review, and I dare say most voters feel the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 6:47:53 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 9:51:08 PM PDT
I didn't overlook nuthin'. And you're the one complaining about Unhelpful votes. I'm just telling why you got 'em. And it's not because of any controversy in the book. Readers like myself may or may not want *more* detailed analysis, but we certainly want *some*. You provided none.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RO9KVRB35UH7X

Reviews like that one are, in my opinion, worthless. Better to not write a review at all, especially when it comes attached to a middle-of-the-road star rating.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 7:48:13 AM PDT
Hate to break it to you, David, but he's right - it wasn't a 'review,' but a 'thumbnail synopsis.' I'm not seeing any analysis, just a report of very basic main points.

From reading just that synopsis, I agree that it seems like you thought the book generally succeeded, so the three star review doesn't fit.

I know you wanted it judged as a 'thumbnail' but if 9 out of 11 people rated it unhelpful, then that's a good enough sample to know that it's not them; it's probably you.

You can always edit it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 8:08:59 AM PDT
Sorry that you feel that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 8:23:35 AM PDT
Dear N. Webster. I take your point. The criticism that the short form review doesn't provide enough of interest to make it worthwhile or helpful to the review reader may justify the reader electing the "unhelpful" response. FYI, over the course of my reviewing that objection has not surfaced in the few other thumbnails that I've posted (which may have been more meaty than this one). So I can't help but think that it was the point of view I expressed that generated much of the criticism, not the length. One thing is clear. I made no secret of my point of view. On the other question, I doubt that awarding the book a four-star rating would have reduced the number of unhelpful responses. My view is that there is an enormous amount of grade inflation in the Amazon reviews, something I try to avoid. Three stars is an acceptable to favorable rating in my book, a C+/B-. Thank for your thoughtful response. It's helpful. David

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 9:03:11 AM PDT
I really don't think it was your point of view that was the problem here.

From the review, I don't really know how you feel about the book or the subject...I think you very briefly summarized what the author thought, and like I said, you seemed to have sort of liked the book. But, I'm not sure anyone would read that - like the Palin biography that started this thread - and simply vote 'unhelpful' just to be spiteful.

In this case, I would consider the review truly 'unhelpful' aside and separate from any personal opinion of your own. I did NOT vote on it, btw. Again, there's no reason you couldn't edit it and flesh out some concerns.

I do now agree about your three-star rating, but maybe the review is just missing a clear statement of "I thought it was okay, though not exceptional."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 12:34:28 PM PDT
I agree. It would have benefited from such a statement. I thought my overall opinion of the book came through from the phrase "We all know they're out there..." Too cryptic. I'll try not to make that mistake again.You know I'm not sure I want to modify the review. I'm thinking about it. First, however, I want to see how much more flak this version takes. Thanks, again, David
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Top Reviewers forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Top Reviewers forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  297
Initial post:  Nov 22, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 9, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions