Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Toys forum

What was the best toy you ever received on Christmas morning?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 806 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 8, 2010 4:58:47 PM PDT
Tyler says:
When you think back to Christmas morning as a kid.. what was the best gift you ever received? Two stand out for me. In 1974 I got a classic wooden runner sled with red, white and blue stars from Santa. First thing I saw when I walked into the room Christmas morning and used it ever winter for the next 12+ years. I certainly miss the old sleds when I walk through Target or Toys R Us during the winter and see all the plastic. Second... 1979 was all about Star Wars. I received 5-6 vehicles and play sets from the movie. Millennium Falcon, X-Wing and that classic 3 story Death Star play set with the trash compactor room. Up until that time I had the figures but no vehicles. Totally awesome morning. I still enjoy looking at the photos of that morning. To be young again...

Posted on Aug 8, 2010 6:27:46 PM PDT
john layne says:
Last Christmas, when I got my 2 Barbie Dolls, a 1959 and 1962 reproduction.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 6:53:01 AM PDT
J. Mciver says:
G.I. Joe and a AFX slot car racing set in 1973 .

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 12:25:17 PM PDT
Cino says:
My wind up Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle. Ahh, the memories of that gear winding up, the thrill of having Evel doing a wheelie while standing on his head. When they came out with a reproduction of it about 10 years ago I was all over it... if only I still had the original. Thanks for providing it mom, and no thanks for eventually getting rid of it. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 4:50:51 PM PDT
Tyler says:
The Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle was a great item.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 5:19:59 PM PDT
Bill B says:
A large Erector set that had enough parts to build a big, motorized Ferris Wheel.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 7:09:29 PM PDT
Star Wars 12" Boba Fett in 1979. There are SO MANY other examples, but that's the one that sticks out the most right now.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 9:12:27 PM PDT
Michael says:
Ibanez RG5S Electric Guitar

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 11:07:05 PM PDT
rawdogpj says:
The transfomers G1 Devestator gift set. All 6 destructicons in one magnifasent box.i remember tearing thru the front of the box to get to them so i could build devestator!! Unfortunatly this "best toy memory" is also on my "worst memory" list as the gift box that devestator came in alone is worth hundreds apart from the toys and i traded my constructicons for MASK cars when they frist came out to a friend down the street.If i only knew,today the Devestator gift set complete,books for over 1200 base 2000/2500 mint and over 4000 AFA.

Posted on Aug 12, 2010 9:51:53 PM PDT
Rick says:
Original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in 1987. Forever changed my life

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 4:38:28 AM PDT
I was 7. Santa brought my first bicycle: hot pink w/ purple detailing, streamers from the wishbone handlebars, "banana seat" and a "sissy bar" over 1.5 foot tall - VERY cool! Plus, since I was such a tom-boy, a cowboy hat and six-shooter w/ holster. Half cool and half drawback -- my little sister got the exact same toys.

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 7:34:21 AM PDT
my dad told us to close our eyes, and he went out to the car. when he came back, we heard purring, and yeah we got a cat. hes awesome.

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 9:52:13 AM PDT
E. Smith says:
I am obviously a lot older than all of you - but the best Christmas I remember as a child was the Christmas after World War II ended and Santa brought me a bike. During the war all metal products went to win the war. You could not get bikes, wagons, skates - all were made of metal. After we won the war, all the children were out riding new bikes and scooters.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010 12:26:16 PM PDT
I just wanted to say what a cool story that is, about all the happy kids with bikes and scooters after the war. I do remember being very happy getting a Sony Walkaman from my dad when I was about 13 but it may have been for my birthday.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010 8:08:03 PM PDT
I know that's gotta hurt, lol. I feel for you. I used to have the old mail order Rapunzel My Little Pony. It ended up in a thrift store when I outgrew my ponies. Now it's worth hundreds. I felt a little ill when I found that out.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 7:52:35 AM PDT
Edward says:
I totally agree Rick. Original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) in 1987. Forever changed my life.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 12:08:24 PM PDT
Santa brought a 10-speed biycle. This gave me the freedom of the entire town. I even took the bicycle to college, years later.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 7:57:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2010 8:00:42 AM PDT
An official Red Ryder carbine-action 200-shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock, and this thing that tells time. hehe =D

Posted on Aug 15, 2010 12:15:09 PM PDT
My dad was career military and there are 5 children so we never were asked what we wanted Santa to bring we were always surprised and pleased on Christmas morning though. I 1964-1967 we lived in Darmstaht(mspelled) Germany. I remember on Christmas receiving a 20 inch plastic doll named Melody-she didn't sing or play music. She's still in a box in my storage unit. I remember in the seventies walking into the livingroom and seeing not only the lights of the tree but a flashing light of a toy lighthouse, this came with a doll called Ship Ahoy. My parents had a way of surprising us by sending us to get something for them and the surprise would be in the place we were sent. One christmas-1970 or so I was 12 yrs-I unwrapped an 10 gal aquarium and after some discussion about getting fish my Mom asked me to get her something from the refrigerator and low and behold there was a jar full of guppys, neon tetras, zebra striped something and angel fish. I don't think it was there but a few minutes I kind of remember my father leaving the room. That Christmas I also received this great hat and scarf set, they're in my seasonal drawer right now. The only thing I remember every asking for and really being disappointed I didn't get it was a Dancearina doll. I also remember this wonderful plastic Noah's Ark toy I received. As you see I keep some of the things I get or know what happened to the things I didn't keep but I can't remember what happened to that toy. I better stop cause remembering one thing makes me remember another then another etc.. Ha,Ha

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2010 10:20:24 AM PDT
My brother and I got the Jane and John West set. We spent untold hours playing with it.

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 1:41:21 PM PDT
Monica J says:
One year, I got an Easy Bake Oven. I was super excited until I made my first cake and Mom noticed that the oven got hot on the outside. So she boxed everything up and returned it. D'oh!

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 5:38:00 PM PDT
Dale says:
Being a child from the mid-70s to the early 80s the more popular toys had to deal with the blockbuster movies and TV shows that were on Saturday mornings. That means all things Star Wars (I had the largest figure collection on my block) and Superman were the big ticket items I remember under the tree. The Absolute best toy I remember getting was the Six Million Dollar Man figure (along with Bigfoot and Masketron) one year. Also the MEGO superhero toys were popular with my brothers and sisters due to the Superfriends TV show or Evel Knievel (Stunt Cycle, Smash Up Car and the rocket). But after 1977 I fell over backwards for anything Star Wars or Atari VCS cartridges.

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 5:59:41 PM PDT
Strider video game, for the Sega Genesis! One of the most anticipated games ever!

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 7:03:17 AM PDT
it has to be the little people treehouse in the mid 70's. Had the bush that the puppy hid in and the elevator in the trunk. Probably goes for $100+ on ebay today...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010 2:49:46 PM PDT
My brother always talks about the Evel Knievel stunt cycle. He says "you wind it up and it keeps going until it falls over, just like the real Evel Knievel".
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 33 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Toys forum (350 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Toys forum
Participants:  592
Total posts:  806
Initial post:  Aug 8, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 49 customers

Search Customer Discussions